The River Faughan

Inisisle

Reaction score
Heather will certainly accept a cheque. It is the way I have paid for and received my permit for the past 10 years or more.

Send a cheque, a self addressed envelope to return it in and a note of your name, address and previous years permit number and you'll get your permit through the letterbox in a few days.

Hope you're keeping well Inisisle?

Since you asked nicely, I'll tell you.
It's no secret that I have rheumatoid arthritis and so my immune system is compromised. I'm on two drugs, Methotrexate and Remicade which work to stop my immune system attacking my own body.

This means, thankfully, that i can usually walk quite well and go about my business.

However, because of those immunosuppression drugs, I daren't get an infection.

And just on Tuesday my consultant rheumatologist personally gave me a letter strongly advising me to stay in the house for at least the NEXT THREE MONTHS.

I am allowed into my back garden and just today i took delivery of two packets of Phostrogen (fertiliser).

I'm awaiting delivery of chicken manure pellets (yip), compost and a little top soil.

I'm intending to have the best dahlias five miles either side of the Faughan valley.

I've got my permit and i'll keep my eye on any fishing news.

Oh, and I'm learning Irish online.
Tá sé uafásach deacair ach tá se millteanach suimiúil!

So to get us back on track, if any of you are confined to the house, take out your permit anyway, do a spot of gardening and learn another language.

silverfox

Reaction score
It is horribly difficult for us too Inisisle and I`m sure a lot of us will take an interest in gardening before this pandemic is over.

Salmom Laker

Reaction score
Interesting use of your time and sorry for hi jacking the thread but I find that certainly among my fishing shooting mates none of us are gardeners - is there a hunter gatherer gene versus a farming gene?

Inisisle

Reaction score
Interesting use of your time and sorry for hi jacking the thread but I find that certainly among my fishing shooting mates none of us are gardeners - is there a hunter gatherer gene versus a farming gene?

Hello Salmom.
I don't think it's a matter of "versus" at all - maybe it's more of an environmental thing. Growth and preservation - that sort of thing.

One of the best fly-tyers and anglers on the Faughan, big Eugene O'Donnell, is a superb fisherman , and he has won trophies for his flowers and shrubs, as well as for his vegetable plot.

i am sure there used to be a gardening thread on this forum. And it was quite popular at one time.

Conork89

Reaction score
Hi guys just looking to know if any of use would know were i could purchase the book along the faughan side. Had a quick google which turned up nothing. I know its a very hard book to get.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Hi guys just looking to know if any of use would know were i could purchase the book along the faughan side. Had a quick google which turned up nothing. I know its a very hard book to get.

They're thin on the ground but do turn up the odd time on amazon or ebay. The last one I saw was listed at over £100.:eek:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Season Opens 20th May We welcome the statement from Mr Edwin Poots MLA last night about the opening of DAERA controlled fisheries from Monday the 18th. As such we can confirm that Fishing on the Faughan will commence from Wednesday the 20th May. For those that hold a valid Foyle Area Licence and a valid Permit from River Faughan Anglers Ltd. We directors are concerned however about the extremely low water conditions which we have had for the last 6 weeks. As such we will be restricting the use of spinning tackle until we receive sufficient fresh water ie, a spate. NO SPINNING until next spate. Bait (worms) and fly fishing will be allowed as normal from the 20th May. We would also like to point out that due to the low water conditions, there are still Smolts and the odd Kelt in the system, all these must be returned. If you encounter a shoal of Smolts please refraining from fishing in that same area, these are the future of the system and face enough perils in their life journey. We must also stress that social distancing should still be practiced whilst going to and from the river and on the riverbank. We also suggest that anglers should not share fishing equipment with anyone outside their own household and use hand sanitiser before and after using any gates or stiles at access points. Directors River Faughan Anglers Ltd.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Mr Poots said that fishing was open for local people to walk to and that car parks would remain closed to ensure people wouldn't drive long distances to access fishing places. This would be the case until 27th May.

Will this be the same on the Faughan?

Conork89

Reaction score
Goot to see grass cut below campsie bridge right down to below the drain but as ever stops at the trees, with nothing towards the bush hole. Is there a reason for stopping here, When there are anglers who fish down that stretch.

Conork89

Reaction score
Any updates? Been out a few times on the tidal with no joy. Didnt even see the water break.
Looking for new places to fish along the faughan. Have neve4 fished past mouboy bridge. Could anyone point me in the right direction for access points etc. Thanks

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Any updates? Been out a few times on the tidal with no joy. Didnt even see the water break.
Looking for new places to fish along the faughan. Have neve4 fished past mouboy bridge. Could anyone point me in the right direction for access points etc. Thanks

The First long awaited water since March, finally arrived today... its extremely dirty, as you'd expect, after so long but there's more to fall according to the forecast so hopefully we'll see decent fishing levels and conditions at some point this week.

Theres fish and Trout in the system so hopefully our season is about to kick off..

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Finally got the river in order after the weekend deluge and heavy sediment run off from the A6 roadworks cleared...

The river was in fine fettile the last 2 days and Late June Early July is usually just the start of our peak so its been an encouraging few days this week hooking and losing a few and opening the account in June. Even it was the last day... Nearly got July off to a flyer too but it wasnt to be losing 2 today... cant win them all I suppose

Attachments

• 20200701_165319.jpg
    20200701_165319.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 83
  • 20200701_192508.jpg
    20200701_192508.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • 20200630_115744.jpg
    20200630_115744.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
  • 20200630_184516.jpg
    20200630_184516.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 81
  • 20200630_130154.jpg
    20200630_130154.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 83
  • 20200630_130247.jpg
    20200630_130247.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 92

Inisisle

Reaction score
So, you're 74 years of age now, you're auto-immune and are taking immuno-suppressant drugs and you're classed as "vulnerable".You've been very compliant and have been self-isolating for five solid months except for trips to the doctor and to the hospital.

Well cabin fever finally got to me on Friday 31st July. I thought that surely I could find a quiet pool somewhere and sit with the worm for a couple of hours.
I liked the fine tip of the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite so I got one of those. A Shimano baitrunner appealed to me and I duly purchased one. Some backing. And I loaded up with 135 metres of green, fine-diameter Power Braid for stealth. My, that stuff is thinner than thread. Some swivels, just large enough that they don't slip through the top eye of the rod.

Then I attached the braid to the swivel using the excellent Palomer knot. Then some no-nonsense Fulling Mill fluorocarbon line. Finally I put on a plain brown Kamasan bait hook and two worms.

I had driven into Lynch's and walked immediately left. I couldn't see past the first pool and so I threw out. there was a good flow in the water and the line quickly moved round. To be honest, I was so thrilled to be out I didn't care if I never caught.

But I put on one piece of split shot to slow the line and I cast into the middle of the pool. a couple of little taps and I struck. Yes, I was in. second cast.
I needn't have bothered with the strike, as the plump little grilse had swallowed the bait. So I had to dispatch it.

And I was in a quandary; conditions looked perfect but I had only one tag left. So I went home, pleased, to fight another day.

So back I went on Saturday night, !st August. i thought I was almost nimble getting over and down the bank. The first two casts, nothing. On the third and fourth cast I got a couple of taps bit I struck into emptiness.
I decided to move five yards upstream and "walk" the worm into the centre of the pool. A couple of taps and I struck into one again. Another fat little grilse but to my horror it too had devoured the bait.

And all my tags are gone. Seven casts and hardly half an hour's fishing. I was so looking forward to trying the early morning worm again, but now I can't. In case a salmon would swallow the hook again.
Two tags seems so miserly, but of course i wouldn't risk prosecution.

"Do you, Mr Inisisle, have anything to say before sentence of this court is passed upon you......"

But it's back to solitary confinement, all the same.

Woodsy

Reaction score
So, you're 74 years of age now, you're auto-immune and are taking immuno-suppressant drugs and you're classed as "vulnerable".You've been very compliant and have been self-isolating for five solid months except for trips to the doctor and to the hospital.

Well cabin fever finally got to me on Friday 31st July. I thought that surely I could find a quiet pool somewhere and sit with the worm for a couple of hours.
I liked the fine tip of the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Lite so I got one of those. A Shimano baitrunner appealed to me and I duly purchased one. Some backing. And I loaded up with 135 metres of green, fine-diameter Power Braid for stealth. My, that stuff is thinner than thread. Some swivels, just large enough that they don't slip through the top eye of the rod.

Then I attached the braid to the swivel using the excellent Palomer knot. Then some no-nonsense Fulling Mill fluorocarbon line. Finally I put on a plain brown Kamasan bait hook and two worms.

I had driven into Lynch's and walked immediately left. I couldn't see past the first pool and so I threw out. there was a good flow in the water and the line quickly moved round. To be honest, I was so thrilled to be out I didn't care if I never caught.

But I put on one piece of split shot to slow the line and I cast into the middle of the pool. a couple of little taps and I struck. Yes, I was in. second cast.
I needn't have bothered with the strike, as the plump little grilse had swallowed the bait. So I had to dispatch it.

And I was in a quandary; conditions looked perfect but I had only one tag left. So I went home, pleased, to fight another day.

So back I went on Saturday night, !st August. i thought I was almost nimble getting over and down the bank. The first two casts, nothing. On the third and fourth cast I got a couple of taps bit I struck into emptiness.
I decided to move five yards upstream and "walk" the worm into the centre of the pool. A couple of taps and I struck into one again. Another fat little grilse but to my horror it too had devoured the bait.

And all my tags are gone. Seven casts and hardly half an hour's fishing. I was so looking forward to trying the early morning worm again, but now I can't. In case a salmon would swallow the hook again.

"Do you, Mr Inisisle, have anything to say before sentence of this court is passed upon you......"

Nice report. Fair play for standing by the rules by keeping you and others safe and also keeping to your tag limit. Manys a man fills the freezer and would still have the same amount of tags come September.

Are you able to spin at all? I have half a dozen single barbless flying cs you can have for free to keep your season going?

Jockiescott

Reaction score

Everything that is wrong with the tag system right there. The only people being restricted are those that there was never a problem with anyway.

Here's a man now that can't fish while those out filling their boots batter on and submit a nil return. Sickens me to no end.

It's good to hear your safe and well anyway inisisle. Congratulations on your fish and I'm greatly annoyed that you can't fish anymore.

Inisisle

Reaction score
Nice report. Fair play for standing by the rules by keeping you and others safe and also keeping to your tag limit. Manys a man fills the freezer and would still have the same amount of tags come September.

Are you able to spin at all? I have half a dozen single barbless flying cs you can have for free to keep your season going?

Woodsy, thanks for the very generous offer. I was just bemoaning the fact that I can't now fish bait for the Faughan's excellent sea trout early in the morning.
Getting over banks and stiles, in and out of the water, can be dodgy. Rheumatoid arthritis.
But I can spin and fly fish a little.
And I have just put down a pair of pliers here, having just found the solution to my problem. I have squeezed away the barb from one of my bait hooks and will attach it to one of quite a few tube flies I have gathered up.

But i will miss resting up at a pool like an aul' salmon.

Thank you all the same for your offer. May you have a magnificent season.

Last edited:

coffin dodger

Reaction score

excellent report

silverfox

Reaction score

Congratulations Inisisle on two successful outings, short though they may have been.However you can fly fish with barbless hooks and not do too much damage to a fish you wish to return. Chin up and carry on fishing, and you could have a lot of excitement yet!