The River Faughan

nitro2012

Reaction score
How did you all on the directors' board manage such an improvement, Faughan Purple?
Did you sink a few deep-sea trawlers? Jail a few poachers? Shoot a few cormorants and seals? Stop slurry getting into the river? Call a halt to that nasty global warming?

Whatever you all did - it's working.

Well done to all concerned.

Full credit to sean McLaughlin the man puts alot of time and dedication into the river.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
How did you all on the directors' board manage such an improvement, Faughan Purple?
Did you sink a few deep-sea trawlers? Jail a few poachers? Shoot a few cormorants and seals? Stop slurry getting into the river? Call a halt to that nasty global warming?

Whatever you all did - it's working.

Well done to all concerned.

20 odd years of environmental campaigns and raising awareness of pollution and water quality with the Autorities, maybe.

If other Angling Organisations had their returns available we could see similar trends developing but at the moment I dont think any have them collated.

Going forward though, The team of directors lead by our Chairman are certainly focused on trying to maintain the river as it is. Sean is certainly a key member and driving force in doing that.

We're also lucky that there's a small group of dedicated men who give up their time when they can, doing what they can.....

Proves that every little helps, no matter how little it is.. it's better to do something, than nothing at all and still pass judgement

Feargal Sharkey visits former salmon hunting grounds in Derry - The Irish News

Last edited:

Greatwhite

Reaction score
When can we collect are permits for this year what is the opening days of the office
If it’s to open early April cheers

Greatwhite

Reaction score
I find that hard to believe the fish pass was broken not sure if it was ever fixed as it’s
A job to sort it there’s no clear numbers of fish moving in if that’s the case I fished one day last season with the river opening early April might be in with a Chance this season ?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
When can we collect are permits for this year what is the opening days of the office
If it’s to open early April cheers

Tues and Thursday 11am to 3pm - best to call first 028 71 416 934

The counts are apparently verified by video and it has been off line during several periods of most years. Either due to damage or maintenance, it's currently being replaced as well. So hopefully a newer more accurate model going forward.

Catch returns and fish counters all reliable source s

It may not count everything but its the best we've got. Unless you've something more accurate, Nitro?

Last edited:

getthenet

Reaction score
Great white Old chap, have you given up hitting little white balls in exchange for hitting bars of silver over the head???
Tight lines... No doubt you’ll show them muckers how to do it!!

nitro2012

Reaction score
It may not count everything but its the best we've got. Unless you've something more accurate, Nitro?[/QUOTE]

No the counter is accurate sir why change whats working.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Faughan Catch Returns 2019

Salmon caught 832

Released 57.45%

Sea trout caught 871

Released 68.8%

Faughan Catch Returns 5 yr ave

Salmon caught 904.2

Released 51.4%

Sea trout caught 813.4

Released 64.7%

Screenshot_20200221-161957_Office Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200221-161801_Office Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200221-161851_Office Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200221-161926_Office Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200221-173258_Office Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200221-172532_Office Mobile.jpg

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Great white Old chap, have you given up hitting little white balls in exchange for hitting bars of silver over the head???
Tight lines... No doubt you’ll show them muckers how to do it!!

No still hitting them and playing well ? I have your greys rod bottom peice I just need a reel ring to finish it

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Only 3 weeks to we're chasing Springers, mind you I might just dust down the 4/5 weight and try for River Resident as well... we really do have some great water, for all heights.

20200307_114608.jpg

20200307_125123.jpg

Inisisle

Reaction score
Permit

Confined to the house?
Worried about getting your permit?
Fear not - email Heather at Faughan Anglers and she will email you back with a secure PayPal link.

One click and you're sorted.
I think she will even accept a cheque.

Keep safe.
And keep your club going.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Confined to the house?
Worried about getting your permit?
Fear not - email Heather at Faughan Anglers and she will email you back with a secure PayPal link.

One click and you're sorted.
I think she will even accept a cheque.

Keep safe.
And keep your club going.

Heather will certainly accept a cheque. It is the way I have paid for and received my permit for the past 10 years or more.

Send a cheque, a self addressed envelope to return it in and a note of your name, address and previous years permit number and you'll get your permit through the letterbox in a few days.

Hope you're keeping well Inisisle?

keirstream

Reaction score
Just looked at your 2019 stats and didn't realise the Faughan produced so many fish to the rod.
It sure is a tidy enough river and well worth keeping hold of and well managed.:thumb:
Is it all association water and if so, how many members are there?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Just looked at your 2019 stats and didn't realise the Faughan produced so many fish to the rod.
It sure is a tidy enough river and well worth keeping hold of and well managed.:thumb:
Is it all association water and if so, how many members are there?

That FaughanPurple and his graphs letting the world know about our wee gem of a river!!! :doh:

Only joking FP!!!

The club have leased the rights to the entire length of the river. It isn't an overly long river with it being under 30 miles from source to mouth.

There may be restrictions on newer members fishing in the tidal section. There used to be anyway but not sure if this is still the case. The tidal section is quite short with a dam separating the tidal and fresh water. The dam is about 2 miles from the tidal Lough Foyle.

I believe there are over 800 members but this includes juvenile members as well as elderly members.

Like most rivers, numbers are not what they once were, but if you hit it at the right time the fishing can still be excellent.

keirstream

Reaction score
I passed over it many times when I worked in the North in the 80s and 90s.
I never once thought it could produce anything like that number of fish.
I'm genuinely impressed. Fair play to you all and look after it.:thumb::thumb:

Jockiescott

Reaction score

The 80s and 90s were something else entirely!!!

The poaching back then was brutal, particularly one stretch of the river, with 'snatching', netting and gaffing. There were still anglers upstream of all this able to catch 50 a season. The sea trout runs were massive back then too.

Changed times I'm afraid but still decent fishing.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score

The 5 year averages aren't bad for a wee burn. As Jockie says, it's not what it was but where is and if you hit it right, you can get a few good days each year..

It's as sea trout fishery it excels though, Jockie won't like that ??... the trout aren't massive, 1lb average but you hit a school at night and they're switched on, you'll not get fishing like it anywhere imho

Jockiescott

Reaction score
The 5 year averages aren't bad for a wee burn. As Jockie says, it's not what it was but where is and if you hit it right, you can get a few good days each year..

It's as sea trout fishery it excels though, Jockie won't like that ??... the trout aren't massive, 1lb average but you hit a school at night and they're switched on, you'll not get fishing like it anywhere imho

Ah balls!!! :lol: