The River Faughan

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
They never do get alot of returns in

but i was given the heads up just before the start of the 2007 season by someone who told me about the numbers game and that the books where closing etc and to make sure i put my 2007 return in.

i thought it was all talk as you hear that every year but i did it anyway.

if they didnt get alot back and you have yours in id say you'll get back on...its not like they are letting new members on just re instating existing permits.

fingers crossed for you anyway mate!!!

Need someone to show me how to fish Craigs this year!!!!!!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Cheers mate, hopefully get a day at craig in the not to distant future.

Just drove past the office about half hour ago, had a wee look up and it still looks packed. Jammy gits!!:D

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
TELL THE TRUTH

your camping out side the office in your car with your thermos waiting on the call from home that your letter has arrived to pick up your permit so you can be first in line when the office re opens!!!

your actually on line with a lap top and wireless internet :D

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
You've got me sussed, is it that obvious??:D

I'll be at this meeting at dupont, are ye going?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
was thinking about it

but it means taking a day off my work to go..im based in Belfast during the week you see and a 6am bus in the morning doesnt really get me excited!!!!

although would be nice to know why we have opened a month and a hlaf early no one is going to convince me its for the Spring run!!!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Alot of talk about big runs going thru the counter in april for the last couple of years.

Think its more money making than anything, less annual permits and more day permits to challenge the finn and mourne.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
suppose they have to justify the hike in price to and a few weeks extra fishing if even only for the Brown trout would go along way to doing that!!

no one in their right mind would buy a day ticket for here until July at least

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
ye never know, if april does go well this year they'll queueing for
ticket next year.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
well if there is good water in the middle of the month i think i might just give it a go cause those spring fish must move through the system very quickly.

I've been out and about from opening day this last few years and i have'nt seen evidence of the phantom "Springer".

The most logical place to find them would be campsie dam after all its a short river and a long season for them to hold up somewhere further up especially with a summer drought a possiblity.

although every year i too hear the "fresh fish at the gates in April" story!!!

but where do they go!!!!

if you fancy keeping me company im up for it!!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
not a problem, i'll be out from day 1 permit permitting.

There are definitly fish at ardmore thru march and april, see how we get on.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Do you know that for sure?

have you seen them yourself or even trusted members telling you?

If they are at Ardmore i fancy with a good April flood that Jane Lyons would be lovely to come through with the fly!!!!

Dont know about day one but i'll definately get out in April

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
brother lives out there, he's seen them and he's looking forward to getting out early. Ye could'nt drag him out until July usually so i'm convinced.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Just puzzles me why the Fish bomb through so quick especially the spring fish. There's no need you'd think they'd just hang about the dam all year in the easy slack water.

ah well not going to question it!!

I just hope the counter this last few years has been right and we are getting a spring run and it aint fiddling the numbers etc.

April it is, out of curiosity but think i'll leave May and June well alone this last 5 or 6 years i havent seen anything much about to drag me back out again.

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Same as but the 2 biggest fish i seen taken last year where caught in june, 10lbs and 12lbs at bessies,the year before a 17lber was taken in june too, bessie aswell.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
See that would make sense

run through and rest up after the weir and lie in the Dam there...Ardmore still has a good depth and the Green is a big deep hole too!!

im guessing the Spring fish will want to move in good water of about a foot and a half.

the Pullen and the flats below bessies dont fish too well in big water like that maybe from Craigs down will!!! Whats your ideal height for Armore?

And i did hear of Fish taken in Craigs in the 9lb class in June last year (07) or was that a myth?

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
i did'nt hear of 9lbers at the craig, few around 7lb.

Craigs pretty deep too, from the craig down i like it around 1 1/2 ft+ i've never caught anything in water any lower.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
those magical fish that grow when the come out of the water ;););)

yeah i heard there was 6 caught in june in a flood in one day mind you going by the weight story this could be 2 caught.:eek:

ive fished that run from craigs to the dam in good water too nice fly water the whole way down and easy wading too on the right hand side but if i remeber space is tight and casting difficult think i'll need to learn to spey cast!!!!

didnt catch anything but got a few good pulls and boils at the fly.

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Lovey stretch, i've only had 1 on the fly from it but i've taken a few spinning over the last couple of years from it.

Nightmare to cast right enough, i've been trying the scando spey cast over the left shoulder and its coming on rightly, could open up a lot more water to me this year.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
single hander and WF inter and a roll cast covers it but you lack the line control comes round a bit quick think that why ive only had plucks and pools...i like to fish slow in big grumbly water fast in low clear water!!!

do you park the your car at the iron bridge when you fish there?

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Usually, if not there i'd park at mccourts bar and dander down thru the fields.

I'm thinking small tubes 1/2 or 3/4 inch in alluminium or brass depending on water, any time i caught it seemed to be just in the first swing as it hit the water (flying c) same thing in the run above bessies.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
ive never used tubes on the river size 6 doubles and a fast sinking line.. but ive a few MacD specials in the post so ive them penciled in for a damn good swim in big water this year.

as for the majority of takes,...had them within a the first few seconds right through to the moment before i lift to recast...now that was funny ...went to lift to recast the water broke slightly and fely the tinest of tugs and what i thought was a wee parr or brownie turned out to be a 9lb cock fish!!! talk about surprise on my face when it rushed off down stream!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
i'd say so, only time i caught on the lift was dry fly for stockies, does'nt compare to 9lb silver prince.

Tubes will definitly be in use this year, i'll have to get a wee look at Macds out there. These hitch tube will be getting a swim too, nice to take one off the top.

I have to finish off these cascade hitches for the fly swap, need to get them sent off next week.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
only tied one colliedog so far...got a load of salars the other day been tying on them...really love the look of a fly on the gold salar hard to put them down but i guess i better get into the fly swap soon eh!!!

looking forward to your hitch tube though..ive a few wee pools in mind on the faughan for them too!!!!

as for the Park Shrimp...cant wait for big water in April... Sinktip and one of this babys...dont care if nothing is there will just be nice to get out again...then again any big water through the year and thats going to be my prefered set up this year