The River Faughan

salmonhunter

Reaction score
I was just down in Toms, no application forms have been released and as far as he has heard theres no chance of new members this year.

sorry auld chap, i'd still give them a ring though, chance your arm

thanks shrimp looks like theres no chance getting into any club round these parts is more or less impossible a well started fishing a couple other rivers the last two seasons. all just have to plod along with day tickets as usual

salmonhunter

Reaction score
I mainly fished From Ardmore to Drumahoe as a kid

and still do!!!

Only head to Lynches and the dam if im really pushed for time or low water..

And find the Ardlough increasingly hard to take fish out of!!!!!!

and yeah Last year was a good year as was the one before too!!

High hopes for this year as well hope im not disappointed cant wait for the early starts!!!

never caught a salmon in the faughan just a few sea trout and browns but was never fishing for them right hadent a clue back then lol roll on the new season all be up the mourne and derg cant wait.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Know the feeling about not having a clue!!!

I still managed to jam one a year from the place back then though but its been a long learning process and i think im starting to get the hang of it although i wont say too much just yet this business has a habit of kicking you in the teeth when you think you have it sorted!!!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Season 2008

AGM 25th or 26th March

Permit now £100

and get this we are open from 1st April!!! :eek::eek:

Theres a shock

I heard this last week myself but didn't say anything as i thought i was having my leg pulled!!!!

Whats the odds the Loughs Agency Close the lower reaches until june/july just like the Finn?

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Think ill dust down the old 6 weight and go after Brownies in April. Im sure there are some good browns left in the river. Wont be many salmon about that early but you never ever know do you!!!

Anyway its better than sitting in the house dreaming about it!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Nope

Open on the First and you have to the 15th April to collect your permit. if you dont then thats it you dont get it.

they are still looking to get rid of the 200 members etc.

All ive heard is what i got sent to me on Saturday in the post from the Office.

Did you get your invite/letter?

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
i've got nothing, no word at all.
Did you get a date to pick u[ your permit?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Yip

The office is open every Thursday is it 10am-12pm during March. Not sure about the times!

then every Tuesday and Thursday same times during April.

All permits must be picked up and paid for by 15th April.

Now i know that if you didnt send in your catch return last year you didnt get your permit this year.

They are serious about cutting the numbers and i think moving it forward a month and putting up the price is another way of doing this.

Guess we will see what type of spring run we get if any at all i always wondered what went on in April!!!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Give them a shout now by phone..

Im doubting myself over the days and times i gave you for March and i dont have the letter on me.

But they are definately open Tues and Thurs mornings into early afternoon during April. Its a 2hr window both days. Not alot of time really is it 4hrs a week.

let us know how you got on anyway

JUST CALLED AINT OPEN...TRY THURSDAY!!!!

Last edited:

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Season could be over before its started.
Moved house in September, can't remember if i sent my return sheet in.

Gutted!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Hope i've a bit of luck on Thursday.

New scierra hms v2 13' landed on saturday, was looking forward to giving it a throw.

Its going to be 2 long days:(

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Just Moved House

i'll bet you any money you like they have sent the letter to your old address on their records not the new one you have moved too!!!

After all when you sent in your return you wouldnt have mentioned you moved house!!!!

Here's hopiong eh!!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
I phoned the guy that bought my old house, he said nothing has landed.

I'll be first in the door on Thursday, see how it goes.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Thats it get in there early

dont take no either!!!

even better arrive up to pay for it say nothing about the letter etc just that you want your permit for 2008 see what they say then!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
was thinking that, just gonne land up to pay and say my letter must
have been sent to my old address.

Might limp in and put on a stutter, try anything!!!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
try the old water works treatment!!! :(

i remember doing something very similar years and years ago...was only a kid at the time..it was the old guy that used to work behind the desk... in the old office dont know if you remember him. He doesnt do it now anyway.

But i walked it after the closing date for taking out my permit. I was still at school and had to save to get it. was about £35 then..alot of money for a 15 year old. He refused to give me my permit. I pleaded and begged he wouldnt budge even explained i only got about £2 a week pocket money wouldnt give me the permit. Eventually i lost the rag and called him everything under the sun and vowed i would never fish the river while he was collecting money in the office. Strong words for a young buck!!!

any way i still didnt get the permit and i didnt fish it again while he was in the office.

Well im back on the river!!! so guess who aint in the office:D

in hindsight he was right and he did play by the rules but i really did save hard for that permit and money wasnt plentiful back then...still isnt now but i make sure ive enough for the permit!!!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Guy who lives in my old house left my letter down. It said permit cannot be collected now but to leave returns sheet in asap and they would get back to me.

Called up with my return form, queued down the street in the rain. Sister in law was in with my brother return too. Gave the guy a sad story about moving house yada yada ,he just said they'd get back to us in the next few weeks, just like it said in the letter.

See how it goes now, fingers crossed!!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
here's hoping mate!!!

Qued down the street you say!!!

Jesus I know its opening early but you have to the 15th April !!!

Think i'm getting mine at the end of the month when i get paid!!

who was in the office?

hassle them once a week i would!!!!

77shrimp

Banned
Reaction score
Can't mind his name, you'd know his face, guy in his 50s.

Was shocked at the queue myself, right enough i'd have been the same, i had the money in my pocket just incase.

They did'nt get a lot of returns in, think/hope it will be ok. It says on the letter if returns are not put in at the end of this season your permit is definitly lost. More a stern warning than anything this time.