FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Some stretches and fish from the Faughan
lost my Photobucket account have to repost pics

Bessie's Dam

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Just thought id put in a season report for 2007 as i saw/heard it for the river.

There may be some/alot lol of inaccuracies so feel free to correct or add your own etc

Opened May 20th

Nice water on opening day if i remember correctly nice height for the fly and clean. but dirtied up later in the day. The first fish of the year was recorded at first thing in the morning on the tidal stretch at the gates. 3lbs i think it weighed. A good start for one lucky angler but not enough to set the pulse racing just yet.

The rest of the month was quiet but it usually is with the very odd fish being picked up here and there and high water making it hard to tell if anything was moving into the system.

June

Again floods ruled the month and fishing was mainly done on the tidal stretches. Again the odd fish reported but some of good size with salmon in the class of 6-9lbs appearing but we where waiting on the first real run of grilse into the river. This month is traditionaly the start of the sea trout especially in good floods but again water very high and the dwindling trout numbers made more apprant by the lack of sport on worm during these high spates. Although some trout reported in the 3lb class but not the runs of yester year.

July

Started off the same as June, high water and still waiting on the fish but angling and effort was steadily improving and the first pods of fish moved into the river and things where gathering pace. Then came the 12th of July and everything took off the grilse finally arrived and by god did they come. The whole lower river and tidal stretches was bunged with fish. Many if not all anglers took home their 2 fish daily bag limit and reports suggested that somewhere near 70+ fish where taken in one day from the tidal stretch at Campsie. Then came more floods and spread the Fish the whole way through out the system. The last 2 weeks in July where some of the best fishing ive ever experienced on this river. Grilse moving steadily every day at first light and fresh fish moving it all the time of every tide. The good water levels ensured that they spread out well from Claudy to Campsie anglers where reporting salmon. Very few if any anglers failed to take a fish in this period. and the Ardlough rd to Ardmore really came into its own during this time.

August

A bit of a dry spell at the start which brought the levels down to 0 on the gauge but with very few if any sunny days and a good SW wind the river still produced fish to the fly. Fresh fish still moving in and holding in the dam area although the smaller grilse were not afraid to move at first light in the low water and again scattered through out the river. Then came the rains again!!! River swollen and fish running again...what a sight!!!! some anglers reporting 4 and 5 in a few hours and even one lucky angler reporting hooking 9 and getting 6 of them in one run douw a stream. Finally the trout arrived some real big late season runners as well but id didnt hear of anyone tackling tem on the night fly. The end of the month dried up and water levels dropped away again.

September

Perfect conditions for this time of year a couple of good spate in the middle of the month to bring good sport to th eupper reaches around Claudy but low clear water and wind either side of it. Anglers reported the fishing to be dull and no real action as fish where too busy pairing up. I must admit i gave up around the middle of the month as most fish where badly coloured.

October

A very dry month and the fish all paired up in the lies from Claudy to Campsie. A few fish where recorded but none that i know off where clean.

Closed October 20th

Sorry i dont I dont have exact figures as i said its only what i saw/heard myself and the beats stretches i mainly fished where from Claudy to Drumahoe. I can say hand on heart every day i was there Anglers wher recording fish and not just one guy round the corner it was not unusual for everyone fishing to have atleast hooked a fish.

2007 certainly was a great year

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
The boat Hole

Campsie gates

3 Mile Hole

The Pullen Hole

The Dog Hole (Down Stream)

The Dog Hole (Up Stream)

5 1/2 lb of silver

2 of 3 from a morning session (Early)

Tailfire

Reaction score
Have just been told by a relative that they had fresh wild salmon from the Faughan on Boxing day:eek:I take it someones at their work

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
wouldnt surprise me.

Ive seen Fresh fish at the Gates at Campsie at Christmas too.

With 26 miles of water and most of the fishing holes down through farm land etc its easy to go unnoticed and take a few fish.

We get some of our largest runs of fish in the close season. We could open into november but i understand why we dont. Some anglers think nothing about killing coloured fish the later we are open the more vulnerable they become.

Was there any size in it these back end runners are usually big!!!

Last edited:

albyn73

Reaction score
FP, i think every river has its own brand of so-called fishermen who regardless of crucial fish stocks will keep on taking and killing until there is nothing left and move onto another river and do the same again, thats why they are called "Fishmongers"! :eek:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I hear the same thing every year but still see new faces on the bank!!!

You will find the 200 will fall away due to the permits not being taken out by existing members from last year.

I'll be taking mine thats for sure as i have done since i was 10 years old

still waiting on the invit to the AGM cant be too far away now used to be in February but it was late last year in March.

YOu looking to get in or are you a member already?

77shrimp

Reaction score
Did ye's get an invite to the angling fair at prehen next weekend?
My brother and a few mates got invites out, i got nothing.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Yes i did, along with a mate of mine we got ours sent out

did you return your tags etc on time? could have been taken from the returns they got back not the issues they gave out?

77shrimp

Reaction score
Think so.
As long as i get word when my permits ready i'll be happy enough.
£100 still cheap for 6 months fishing on your door step, roll on may:)

salmonhunter

Reaction score
no new members

was thinking of joining but i heard from a few people that i have no chance i was a member when i was about 14 long time ago.

77shrimp

Reaction score
I'll be heading to Tom's tackle in an hour or so, i'll check if he has any application forms or knows anything.
Check this thread around 4

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
SalmonHunter

my best advice is if your not in you cant win...get your application in but get it in NOW!!!!!!!

and then if you havent heard from them or got any info before opening day pester them with phone calls for updates they might just cave and give it to you for heads peace if anything :D;)

77Shrimp

Its only 5 months for £100 and then only mid July to September is of any real use :D

But your right its not bad Value although i rack up a fair few miles and the busfares are a killer from Belfast!!! Wonder if they do an air mile scheme but for Busses!!! Now that would be handy!!!!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
was thinking of joining but i heard from a few people that i have no chance i was a member when i was about 14 long time ago.

Where did you used to fish it?

used to pal around with a few guys of that age myself on the banks during the summer didnt know anything really about them other than they all fished the same places as me etc

but as happend yourself they all gave it up!!

I too even let it go for a season or 2 but missed it too much if i didnt have this river i dont know what id do its as much apart of me as anything in my life

77shrimp

Reaction score
I was just down in Toms, no application forms have been released and as far as he has heard theres no chance of new members this year.

sorry auld chap, i'd still give them a ring though, chance your arm

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I was just down in Toms, no application forms have been released and as far as he has heard theres no chance of new members this year.

sorry auld chap, i'd still give them a ring though, chance your arm

looks like they mean it this year :eek:

but as me old mate says id chance me arm and ring anyway!!!

if i see any of the ones i know i'll ask and see what the chances of getting on are... but Appos are usually readily available :confused:

salmonhunter

Reaction score
Where did you used to fish it?

used to pal around with a few guys of that age myself on the banks during the summer didnt know anything really about them other than they all fished the same places as me etc

but as happend yourself they all gave it up!!

I too even let it go for a season or 2 but missed it too much if i didnt have this river i dont know what id do its as much apart of me as anything in my life
i used to to fish around lynchs and along ardlough road many moon ago i have a friend who fished it for years but diddent last year heard it was a good season though.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
i used to to fish around lynchs and along ardlough road many moon ago i have a friend who fished it for years but diddent last year heard it was a good season though.
I mainly fished From Ardmore to Drumahoe as a kid

and still do!!!

Only head to Lynches and the dam if im really pushed for time or low water..

And find the Ardlough increasingly hard to take fish out of!!!!!!

and yeah Last year was a good year as was the one before too!!

High hopes for this year as well hope im not disappointed cant wait for the early starts!!!