The River Drowes

GEK79

Reaction score
Didn't hear of any fresh one's caught today. Still it was lovely to get out in decent weather and blow the cobwebs off. Won't be to long in them conditions before a springer is caught.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
Hello I'm about to move to ballyshannon and would love a few hours on the Drowes which section are those pics from please...

Jer

Reaction score
Hello I'm about to move to ballyshannon and would love a few hours on the Drowes which section are those pics from please...
I think the second picture is of the crooked hole above four masters bridge... the first is the sea pool
There are so many lovely pools on the river drowse that you will be spoilt for choice... in such a short length of river... its worth doing some exploring from the lodge down.... here’s a link to the beat map...
Hope this helps and best of luck next season

reddie

Reaction score
I think the second picture is of the crooked hole above four masters bridge... the first is the sea pool
There are so many lovely pools on the river drowse that you will be spoilt for choice... in such a short length of river... its worth doing some exploring from the lodge down.... here’s a link to the beat map...
Hope this helps and best of luck next season

Haven't updated that blog in a while! ?
The Drowse is a great river which is very professionally run by Shane and Bill.
As Her says, try fishing from the Lodge down. We found 0.7/0.8m to be a lovely height for the fly and spinner up there.
Beautiful fishing around the Lennox's Bridge area also. Caught that February fish in Brineys.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
Hi as already said its a lovely place and the first picture is the sea pools but the second picture i not fully sure of as you can see the board walks in the left of the pic i would say its on the estate somewhere maybe the blackgutter or broardwater ??

GEK79

Reaction score
Hi as already said its a lovely place and the first picture is the sea pools but the second picture i not fully sure of as you can see the board walks in the left of the pic i would say its on the estate somewhere maybe the blackgutter or broardwater ??
Without being to personal would you buy a season ticket or a day ticket.. I plan to fish as often as I can when I move and wonder which better value. Please.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
Without being to personal would you buy a season ticket or a day ticket.. I plan to fish as often as I can when I move and wonder which better value. Please.
Hi if it were me i would buy a season ticket its only the cost of 12 day tickets!! if you plan to fish regular as you say and dont forget living so close you dont have to fish a full day you can go for a quick chuck whenever you want before and after work or to suit yourself and conditions weather, tides, water levels and runs Its a great little river in lovely settings and great people but it can be a hard river to get a fish off so you will need plenty of visits to learn the water and crack it but living there im positive you will I wish i lived there im in england and come over and stay on the estate once a year and love it I also have another week every year a bit more south in ballina on the moy which is about an hour away from you with plenty of other rivers around it if you ever fancied stretching your legs

GEK79

Reaction score
Hi if it were me i would buy a season ticket its only the cost of 12 day tickets!! if you plan to fish regular as you say and dont forget living so close you dont have to fish a full day you can go for a quick chuck whenever you want before and after work or to suit yourself and conditions weather, tides, water levels and runs Its a great little river in lovely settings and great people but it can be a hard river to get a fish off so you will need plenty of visits to learn the water and crack it but living there im positive you will I wish i lived there im in england and come over and stay on the estate once a year and love it I also have another week every year a bit more south in ballina on the moy which is about an hour away from you with plenty of other rivers around it if you ever fancied stretching your legs
We have friends in Ballina.. I'm hoping to do some fly fishing of the Drowes for trout as well so may treat myself to the season ticket.. Thanks for advice and once lockdown is relaxed will visit our friends in ballina..

Jer

Reaction score
100% a season ticket
i know that there are people who drive more than 100 miles each week just to fish this river.. on a season ticket on a summer Wednesday evening without a thought
Once you start fishing it you will understand why... as they say... it can be a hard river... but just fish the pools to see why it captures your soul as a salmon fisherman... I said it before and I will say it again... it’s the casting before the fishing... you need to do the yards... to learn what’s in front of you... but in such a majestic place....

GEK79

Reaction score
100% a season ticket
i know that there are people who drive more than 100 miles each week just to fish this river.. on a season ticket on a summer Wednesday evening without a thought
Once you start fishing it you will understand why... as they say... it can be a hard river... but just fish the pools to see why it captures your soul as a salmon fisherman... I said it before and I will say it again... it’s the casting before the fishing... you need to do the yards... to learn what’s in front of you... but in such a majestic place....
Many thanks if lockdown relaxes a. Little I'm going to try and get some lessons.. And looking forward to it..

lax0341

Reaction score
It‘s a very pretty and picturesque river but not easy to fish. You need a lot of experience to know what is going on and where the catchable fish are. It took me a lot of time before I succesfully landed my first salmon of that great river.
So take a season ticket if you can.

GEK79

Reaction score
How was the season on the Drowes this year ? Do to the Covid 19 it was not possible for me to come over to Ireland.
Sadly I haven't fished it I'm a little further west but moving to ballyshannon in February so will hope to spend most of the season on the Drowes for Salmon and trout and hopefully a few days on Melvin..