The River Drowes

Silver hunter

Reaction score
nice water

Fine fish..here's hoping it's the start of a good season

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Water still about 6 and nice for fly although very bright today. A few fish caught at weekend and at least one today so all positive so far.Hope for more rain next week to keep topped up.Such a great wee river for a day out and lovely people with the chance of a fish.

Ian Carter

Reaction score
I might get a chance to fish here this Saturday for a few hours. I see it’s high and there is some more rain to come. What water height (on what gauge) should I be looking for? And can I spin?

fisher2227

Reaction score
If you look up waterlevel.ie River Drowes Four Masters Bridge (ref:35029 ) you can see the river height. It is currently at 0.885 which is very high. I like it around 0.6 to 0.7 this time of year. However if there isnt too much more rain it should have dropped to a more reasonable level by the weekend. The Drowes has an advantage in that it does not tend to colour up much even in high water, although you can sometimes get a stain in the lower river from fields draining after heavy rain. All methods are allowed on the river so you can certainly spin.

lax0341

Reaction score
I might get a chance to fish here this Saturday for a few hours. I see it’s high and there is some more rain to come. What water height (on what gauge) should I be looking for? And can I spin?
You should fish and try your luck ! Even in very high water there is always a chance to catch a fish in the Drowes in March. :thumb:

Al1978

Reaction score
Anyone heading up on Wednesday would it be busy on the river for the 1st was half thinking of heading up that far but never fished d river before

nore fly

Reaction score
The river is in good order for the opening day ..best of luck to all who cast a line ...the opening day on the drowes is a nice reminder to the rest of us that the new season is not to far off ......really looking forward to the 2020 fishing season ...

GeeBee

Reaction score
Good luck to all, with mild weather and little rain predicted over the next ten days, the first fish of the year has to be a banker id think.

Tightlines.

Last edited:

mark22

Reaction score
Didn't hear of any fresh one's caught today. Still it was lovely to get out in decent weather and blow the cobwebs off. Won't be to long in them conditions before a springer is caught.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

simonjh98

Reaction score
Shows you how dire things have got when Ireland's Premiere Spring Salmon fishery fails to produce a fish until the middle of February, where fish in January used to be a commonality

kenny sloan

Reaction score
News from Drowes ...A fish of just under 11lbs was reported from the Old Sea Pool this afternoon. The fish took a black flying c with silver blade. Water remains high at just over 1 metre on the gauge but is dropping well.Tuesday 3/3/20.