The River Bush

hurricane

Reaction score
Can anybody confirm if this is a better year????not seeing any reports and I wouldn't mind a run up...

I have obtained river bann statistics. This is virtually the poorest season on record and the Bush will be the same.

"PORTNA COUNTER L . Bann as at 12 30 pm lunchtime on Thurs 17 th Aug 2017. Running total now 7,818. Counter figures courtesy Salmon Research Station Bushmills.

Running total at that time last year (2016) , on Frid 19th Aug 2016 was 14,310."

And the most recent figures

"11 30am Thurs 7th Sept 2017. Running totai now 8,111 (includes only 51 salmon since last update on Frid 1st Sept."

So there's 8,111 fish so far to sustain the whole Lough Neagh/upper bann system.....and the honourable Irish society bailiffs are spending their time hiding in bushes, trying to catch an angler using barbed hooks or mercy killing a fish, or otherwise, while widespread poaching continues in the lough.

Last edited:

dwain

Reaction score
The bush had a decent spring run this year. And the grilse are still coming into the river. In my opinion the bush grilse are about 3 weeks later this season. This time last year all that was knocking about in the lower stretches were coloured fish. This season it's sea lice small grilse had 6 last week all fresh and saw plenty moving up, think it was 4 thousand odd for the season last year which is a very good year for bush. This year it will hopefully creep up to around over 2 thousand mark. As for the agivey never seen it as bad it's like a mission to even see a fish turn. The wee agivey is getting them so I will be putting most of my efforts into it. I don't put much faith into the bann counter.

lekip

Reaction score
Bush Numbers so far this season

Up until 12th September, 1,263 salmon have been through the traps.

dwain

Reaction score
O dear a bit to go then before the get anywhere near 2000. Think my dad now has 14 fish out of it this year and it's his first season salmon fishing. He was more of a trout man. He's doing well putting me under pressure have a few to get to catch up with him

rhutchinson19

Reaction score
Over from Scotland for a few days and thinks my of giving the bush a go. Anybody got any update on how it’s fishing? Also, advice on whether to go for town, new or leap beat would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
My advice don't bother, possibly chance a day ticket on the Roe similar money nicer surroundings chance of a late fish.

Blackfire

Reaction score
Recently moved to within a stones throw of the bush is it worth a throw for salmon or trout ? Any spots worth going to reading the signs as long as you have a rod license you can fish.

Jockiescott

Reaction score

lekip

Reaction score
To date in the 2020 season on the River Bush, the total number of fish into the trap is 971 fish of which 685 were wild fish. Does anyone know how it has fished this season so far?

hurricane

Reaction score
To date in the 2020 season on the River Bush, the total number of fish into the trap is 971 fish of which 685 were wild fish. Does anyone know how it has fished this season so far?

I fish the bann, and it has fished very well
compared to last year. However, I fished the bush two days last week and never even seen a fish. It is slow on the bann right now too.