The River Bush

the bomb

Reaction score
the bomb

i read alot of comments that r on here i no the bush inside out and i could say alot more than i do.i have let my friends read some of the posts on here and we always get a laugh especially at ur posts ciaren.....u aint got a clue

Ciarán

Reaction score
i read alot of comments that r on here i no the bush inside out and i could say alot more than i do.i have let my friends read some of the posts on here and we always get a laugh especially at ur posts ciaren.....u aint got a clue

You know the Bush inside out? You thought last year was a great run (stop laughing at the back...)

Ok then...what have I said about the Bush that makes you and your friends giggle so much?

Ciarán

Reaction score
Some people don't like a spade being called a spade..no doubt Town stretch anglers who think the rivers in great shape...

As for the Bush Expert....He's been fishing it for 20 years...lives in Bushmills, yet paid to fish the Dunderave on the 2nd of March..

Clearly knows the river inside out.

hurricane

Reaction score

Ciarán

Reaction score
Was on the river for a couple of hours on Sat...saw a couple of coloured fish..No joy.

Ciarán

Reaction score
Seneril, Benvardin and below...didn't have time to go any further upstream..

A few fish about though.

hurricane

Reaction score
Just read an article in the paper that wild salmon numbers on the bush have tripled since the government ordered anglers to return all salmon caught and since commerical fishermen have ceased operations.

It also stated, that in the 1990's close to 50 commericial liscence holders netted between 8-12 thousand fish a year.

It also stated, that the recent netsman have halted their netting activites , "until stocks recover." They have also not handed in their liscenses.

Ciarán

Reaction score
Did the direction on returning fish not start before last season?

Sounds like nonsense.

hurricane

Reaction score
I will post the article this evening when I get time, makes for interesting reading :eek:

easky

Reaction score
Just read an article in the paper that wild salmon numbers on the bush have tripled since the government ordered anglers to return all salmon caught and since commerical fishermen have ceased operations.

It also stated, that in the 1990's close to 50 commericial liscence holders netted between 8-12 thousand fish a year.

It also stated, that the recent netsman have halted their netting activites , "until stocks recover." They have also not handed in their liscenses.

look forward to reading it Hurricane and some of it certainly rings true.

As Ciaran has said I think it was 2012 that C&R was introduced in the DCAL controlled areas and the commercial nets went off. So that's two full seasons. I know that last year the Bush had a very encouraging return - from memory I think it was 4k of a run counted through the salmon station which is great to see.

I am not sure about the 50 commercial nets in the 90's - I think that might be a bit high as I seem to remember in the first buy out about 30 nets would bought out. That left 6 and two of those were in County Down.

It is right in saying that of these remaining nets - they won't now fish the nets but do still retain the right to operate them in the future when there is a scientifically proven 'harvestable surplus'.

hurricane

Reaction score
It is right in saying that of these remaining nets - they won't now fish the nets but do still retain the right to operate them in the future when there is a scientifically proven 'harvestable surplus'.

I dont understand this "right" they feel they have to net salmon.

Ciarán

Reaction score
look forward to reading it Hurricane and some of it certainly rings true.

As Ciaran has said I think it was 2012 that C&R was introduced in the DCAL controlled areas and the commercial nets went off. So that's two full seasons. I know that last year the Bush had a very encouraging return - from memory I think it was 4k of a run counted through the salmon station which is great to see.

I am not sure about the 50 commercial nets in the 90's - I think that might be a bit high as I seem to remember in the first buy out about 30 nets would bought out. That left 6 and two of those were in County Down.

I wonder could the netsmen argue that there is a harvestable surplus due to ranched fish being killed?

4k's pretty grim for the Bush -especially if the ranched fish are still being chapped.

Ciarán

Reaction score
Sat at the leap for half an hour on Sunday.. didn't see a tail.

Got the trout gear out and went upstream.