The pot calling the kettle black-ford

SOS

Reaction score
Ian Blackford today denounces England for allowing raw sewage to be dumped in to English rivers while not doing his homework on Scottish rivers.
This is political point scoring at its worst.
When Scotland is every bit as bad as England, even worse when you take in the contamination caused by fish farms.
I have had it up to my pits with politicians trying to score points on subjects they know next to f*ck all about or choose to ignore.

I have to give it to him for highlighting the problem but get your own backyard in order first.

Fruin

Reaction score
OK, I'll take the bait 🤣
There is a big difference between allowing the discharge of raw sewage and having spills due to heavy rainfall. The outflows are designed to let the sewage discharge during heavy rain. We seem to experienve more prolonged periods of heavier rain now and the infrastructure is no longer fit for purpose. It is clear that this is an issue and it looks like it is being addressed by ScotGov and Scottish Water. Perhaps not quickly enough as anybody who fishes the mid-Clyde will know.
I wouldn't expect the libdems or the Express to highlight the significant difference between the two situations.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Ian Blackford today denounces England for allowing raw sewage to be dumped in to English rivers while not doing his homework on Scottish rivers.
This is political point scoring at its worst.
When Scotland is every bit as bad as England, even worse when you take in the contamination caused by fish farms.
I have had it up to my pits with politicians trying to score points on subjects they know next to f*ck all about or choose to ignore.

I have to give it to him for highlighting the problem but get your own backyard in order first.

A detestable man. Everything that is bad about politics.
Never says anything positive, nothing to say about how his party would do better, just throws rocks.

Given his role he crops up on politics programmes more than most.
I know opposition is about keeping governement honest (well, theres a big fail for a start), but I cant believe he disagrees with evetything.
Easy job. They say yes, you say no. They say black, you say white. They say up, you say down.
Theres quite a few dog owners on here I'm sure could train their charges to do that for a bone or chew. Much cheaper than paying his salary.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
OK, I'll take the bait 🤣
There is a big difference between allowing the discharge of raw sewage and having spills due to heavy rainfall. The outflows are designed to let the sewage discharge during heavy rain. We seem to experienve more prolonged periods of heavier rain now and the infrastructure is no longer fit for purpose. It is clear that this is an issue and it looks like it is being addressed by ScotGov and Scottish Water. Perhaps not quickly enough as anybody who fishes the mid-Clyde will know.
I wouldn't expect the libdems or the Express to highlight the significant difference between the two situations.
Scottish Water is now not fit for purpose since it was rearranged and centralised by the SG.
Much the same as the police.
etc.

Fruin

Reaction score
Scottish Water is now not fit for purpose since it was rearranged and centralised by the SG.
Much the same as the police.
etc.
Scottish Water has effectively been going through a process of centralisation since 1946. Thankfully, the people of Scotland voted to keep it in the public domain rather than splintering it through privatisation.

kenb61

Reaction score
Scottish Water let themselves down here at times. There are two water catchments near me both of which will drain off and feed into the Don. These have only been on the go for around 8 years or less since being taken over by SW. These two are overgrown and do not get cleaned out/maintained by SW in any shape or form. Granted they are not for sewage and fed by culverts/small burn nearby but they should still be maintained IMO.

Last edited:

ibm59

Reaction score
Tory solution to the sewage entering our waterways.
‘The Smart loo.’

DE997558-C899-408D-81F9-2C39926ED405.jpeg

SOS

Reaction score
My o/p was not meant to be an attack on just Blackford (although he is a useless pr1ck) or scot-gov but the whole shebang of MPs that rather than tackling issues on their own doorsteps spend their time trying to score political points off each other.

salarchaser

Reaction score
My o/p was not meant to be an attack on just Blackford (although he is a useless pr1ck) or scot-gov but the whole shebang of MPs that rather than tackling issues on their own doorsteps spend their time trying to score political points off each other.
You're right, its endemic.
Blackford sets the standard though.:ROFLMAO:

Fruin

Reaction score
I get the point you are making SOS, but, the Express article is wrong on so many levels. It is wrong to compare storm drains allowinh sewage out during high water with a policy allowing direct dumping of untreated sewage.
Blackford is right, as are many others to call the Tories out. It is wrong that the press then attack anybody that dares to question the Tories. I think we all know where that kind of scenario takes us.
Papers like the Express, Mail etc. attack anybody that questions the Tories, including the judiciary.

tenet

Reaction score
I get the point you are making SOS, but, the Express article is wrong on so many levels. It is wrong to compare storm drains allowinh sewage out during high water with a policy allowing direct dumping of untreated sewage.
Blackford is right, as are many others to call the Tories out. It is wrong that the press then attack anybody that dares to question the Tories. I think we all know where that kind of scenario takes us.
Papers like the Express, Mail etc. attack anybody that questions the Tories, including the judiciary.
I take it your a Guardian reader Fruin.

SOS

Reaction score
If Blackford is right to call out the tories then I would be right to call out the snp gov
here's another bright idea from them and their green mates

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Blackford is a total clown, surely there’s somebody less irritating than him?

What was a good idea was the old Water Purification Boards, they made a big difference to water quality in lots of Scottish rivers after the war and surely played a part in some of the great catches from the 50s onwards. Do they still exist?

Fruin

Reaction score
If Blackford is right to call out the tories then I would be right to call out the snp gov
here's another bright idea from them and their green mates
Nobody is saying you shouldn't call out any party, but, it is a dangerous path to side with media that believe the opposition parties shouldn't call out the current government.
As to your other point, I am sure there is a truth in there somewhere, although the article does mention "according to a report" with no reference to or validation of it.
The whole transgender issue is very complex and I don't fully understand it, but, did find it interesting that the SNP are hardly ploughing new ground...

keirstream

Reaction score
Blackford is nothing but a dick.
He is a detestable excuse for a human being.
He brings into acute focus everything that is wrong with the S.N.P.
He tries to make out he is a poor crofter but we all know the truth.
I'll never forgive him for orchestrating the abusive attacks on one of the best parliamentarians that ever existed, Charles Kennedy.
He should have resigned in shame after that episode.:(

Sunset_angler

Reaction score
Blackford is nothing but a dick.
He is a detestable excuse for a human being.
He brings into acute focus everything that is wrong with the S.N.P.
He tries to make out he is a poor crofter but we all know the truth.
I'll never forgive him for orchestrating the abusive attacks on one of the best parliamentarians that ever existed, Charles Kennedy.
He should have resigned in shame after that episode.:(
Glad someone said it, what he did to Kennedy was beyond disturbing and he should never be and mp again after that but unfortunately the lord of the pies is blindly followed by those willy to sell their sfor a go at indy2.

Last edited:

charlieH

Reaction score
It is wrong to compare storm drains allowinh sewage out during high water with a policy allowing direct dumping of untreated sewage. The outflows are designed to let the sewage discharge during heavy rain.

Why?

As I understand it, in theory CSOs are meant to allow untreated sewage to pass into watercourses only in periods of high water. In fact they often discharge effluent when water levels are below the level at which they are supposed to operate.

Either way, isn’t sh!t still sh!t, whatever the river level, and whether it emerges from a tartan-wrapped heiland erse or a pinstriped Westminster one?

Fruin

Reaction score
Why?

As I understand it, in theory CSOs are meant to allow untreated sewage to pass into watercourses only in periods of high water. In fact they often discharge effluent when water levels are below the level at which they are supposed to operate.

Either way, isn’t sh!t still sh!t, whatever the river level, and whether it emerges from a tartan-wrapped heiland erse or a pinstriped Westminster one?

What matters is whether you try to do something about it, or, let the privatised water companies in England off the hook with it in case it damages their profits and their shareholders pockets.

I understand your point but comparing a conscious decision to allow private companies to put profit over the environment by dumping as much untreated sewage as they want into our natural waterways, with faults in the designed safety measures of the existing systems causing too many overflows, well... that is a but like comparing pre-meditated murder with a natural death.

ozzyian

Reaction score
What matters is whether you try to do something about it, or, let the privatised water companies in England off the hook with it in case it damages their profits and their shareholders pockets.

I understand your point but comparing a conscious decision to allow private companies to put profit over the environment by dumping as much untreated sewage as they want into our natural waterways, with faults in the designed safety measures of the existing systems causing too many overflows, well... that is a but like comparing pre-meditated murder with a natural death.
I must confess to a little smile at your defence when I compare this to your favoured governments unwavering support of foreign owned aquaculture polluting the environment and largely destroying the natural phenomenon that brought us all to this forum in the first place :)

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
I must confess to a little smile at your defence when I compare this to your favoured governments unwavering support of foreign owned aquaculture polluting the environment and largely destroying the natural phenomenon that brought us all to this forum in the first place :)
Fair point Ozzy, but they are not my favoured government, they are in fact our government.
Yip, I disagree entirely on the SNPs stance on aquaculture but I cannot see any government tackling that industry - it would cause to much of a stooshy with voters.
As for the Charles Kennedy comments... I am no big fan of Blackford myself, but hopefully I usually manage to put politics before personal feelings about any individual. Kennedy was a functioning alcoholic that was becoming a non-functioning one. I think at the time Ian Blackford started the hashtag "Where's Charles" campaign, but, this was in relation to the fact that he was missing from the scene during an election campaign. The main person pushing the grievance against the SNPs behaviour in that scenario is always a Labour politician (I wonder why?). An SNP convener was found to be guilty of the online abuse of Charles Kennedy under an online pseudonym. He was effectively removed from office when this came to light.
Was it right to question your opposite number during an election campaign? Absolutely it was, that is what election campaigns are about; pushing your own policies while questioning the suitability of your opposite number.
Was it right under the circumstances that Charles Kennedy was facing at the time? From a political and process position, yes it was, but, from a moral position it wasn't.
Charles Kennedy should have been replaced with another Lib Dem candidate under the circumstances. I think the Lib Dems know that and that is why they usually remain quiet on the issue.
Charles Kennedy was a good man and I liked him, even voting Lib Dem at points in the past. It was his own party that sunk him by siding with the Tories. I totally disagree with the online abuse he suffered, but, unfortunately this is becoming common place in politics with candidates from every party suffering from vile campaigns.

keirstream

Reaction score
I am absolutely gobsmacked that you even try to condone the vile, abusive personal campaign against an obviously unwell man who was fighting for his own sanity whilst being deliberately pushed over the cliff by a cabal of vile Nationalist trolls in which, whether you like it or not, Blackford played a leading role.
You are absolutely dredging the bottom of the sewage works that you so eloquently try also to defend your party's stance on.:(
You and I don't see eye to eye on politics but I said on many occasions I would happily share a dram with you on a riverbank somewhere.
But to try and lay the blame on a sick man by suggesting that he was responsible for mounting the whole sickening campaign on himself is bizarre as equally your suggestion that his own party was also to blame just beggars belief.:unsure::unsure:
Your party has Charles Kenedy's blood on their hands and no amount of denials will ever change the facts although I have no doubt that if there ever were an independent Scotland, the whole sorry , shameful incident would be totally whitewashed from the history books.:(

Fruin

Reaction score
Grow up Keirstream. The overly dramatic posts are just boring. Blood on their hands - geez a break. Charles Kennedy died of alcoholism, good guy that he may have been - FACT.
As I said, despite what you try to make up, I don't condone the type of abuse that he suffered. The person who consistently abused him online was removed from the party - FACT.
Other politicians suffer similar abuse - FACT.

Last edited: