The Mersey Miracle

Birkin

Reaction score
The wanderings of straying salmon could be the key to a hatchery program helping restore UK stocks, argues Mike Handyside in a very interesting article in this months Trout and Salmon.
Well worth a read.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
That's sort of old news re the Mersey.

When salmon first re-appeared in the system, iirc, they did genetic tests and found genes from just about every west coast UK river.

Salmo has always been a strayer....if you build it they will come.

My T and S is still in the wrapper, which reminds me it's time to cancel my sub.

I'll have a flick through on the crapper tomorrow morning.:thumb:

Birkin

Reaction score
Correct but it makes a point that the research and practise perfected by Kielder hatchery,s late Peter Gray should be used by the EA and not stifled as it does not fit policy.

Mattytree

Reaction score
If you speak to lads who farms above and where the dam is now they say they where running over salmon in there tractors crossing burns to feed stock just before the hatchery was built.. maybe sea trout, the tyne was a prolific trout river before the dam changed the ph, colour and temps in the north tyne.
I know peter grey says they could not find the brood stock for the hatchery so sourced it..
was a great read and agree with it!
Does any one fish the Mersey for salmon on the forum ?

peterchilton

Reaction score
Isn't this a matter of a river with salmon in it and a salmon fishery? The Mersey is certainly the former.