The long winter months

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
What do you guys ( especially those who have retired) do to pass the time until the Spring? There is after all only so many hours one can spend polishing one's rod and re arranging one's tackle.

Rennie

Reaction score
Just as long as you dont offer to polish any one else's rod n re-arrange their tackle!,lol.
There's little enough to do on the long nights as it is,I'm already nearly finished my own polishing and re-arranging,without the offer of help!.
Seriously,going to weld some lines and loops with Mrs. Rennie hair straighteners, should be a good game denying all knowledge when she fuses her hair with melted plastic, that or hiding/running away.Tremendous fun!
Pedro.

mc andy

Reaction score

Not really?

In a typically klinkeastwood/dch / or Whoever else he's been Tonge in check style it was opened in the lounge also for a bit of banter. And I would generally not bother entrying or replying to these types of threads.

But the question in hand I would.

I like the wintery hills once the rods are away. And should be out this Saturday.

Bruino

Reaction score
Plenty to do
Chase grayling in the Clyde
Casting practice with the boys at the quarry.
Dig up the raised beds for next year.
Going walks with son
Pottery at Pather

Reaction score
As others have said I keep getting out and about. We've had a lot of lovely frosty weather here which is great for the hills and the lochs. A couple of hours ago on a sea Loch.

image.jpg

happy days

Reaction score
I do some some pike fishing I've just returned from County Fermanagh on the lough Erne system last week where I ended up fishing in a storm, didn't get the big fish we were after but good fun and plenty Guinness. Other than that I am in the boxing gym with my grandson or freezing my balls off watching Everton for my sins.

Meldon9

Reaction score
Fish for grayling or stockie rainbows and do a bit of fowling.

This year am having a tackle clearout ang getting rid of salmon gear l dont use anymore - suspect there may be a quite a bit.

Will then sit down and have a think if its really worth spending time, effort and cash continuing to salmon fish in the UK

rs2ford

Reaction score
I get Christmas out the way first, then all the jobs around the house that need done, decorating etc and gather up brownie point's from the wife. Come the spring I need a break from it all, so a few days on the Spey is a well earned rest:rolleyes:.

Cheers Diarmid.

salarchaser

Reaction score
I do some some pike fishing I've just returned from County Fermanagh on the lough Erne system last week where I ended up fishing in a storm, didn't get the big fish we were after but good fun and plenty Guinness. Other than that I am in the boxing gym with my grandson or freezing my balls off watching Everton for my sins.
Trying to catch salmon and supporting Everton.

We have a masochist in our midst. :D

Hmmmm, salmon fishing, Cardiff city and Welsh rugby. There might be a hypocrite somewhere as well. :rolleyes:

Grayling, fly tying, being a hoby farmer and 9 months build up of household chores.

Elibank

Reaction score
I’ll be carrying on the reduction of my fishing book collection, which had ballooned to over 700, mostly salmon and sea trout fishing, and some pretty old.
The System 2s will be cleaned and greased, the rod rings will be checked, flies will be tied, etc,etc.....

Anyway, that’s the plan for this week

orchy1999

Reaction score
X Video's and polishing the rods and mending the tackle ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:what else is there apart from repairing the rubber waders:rolleyes::rolleyes:

miramichi

Reaction score
I retired myself this past summer. I'm working on a new book about the Cains River in Canada, and am restoring this old beauty, a 75 year old 20' Chestnut canoe with quite a salmon fishing history. :)

not bad.jpgbare hull bottom 11 17.jpg