The Hoodlum sea trout streamer

Andrew B

Reaction score
Now there’s a Bonny fly. My only concern would be those damn sea trout taking short.
I reckon this would be good as a daytime fly when it’s too coloured for nighttime fly?

nickolas

Reaction score
Yes, hell of a tail on it for nipping but very nice.

Sewinfly...................
Maybe tie as a string fly or hang a 18 treble out the back tied onto the bend on the hook, normally sorts out the short takers. But love the fly.👍

Andrew B

Reaction score
Maybe tie as a string fly or hang a 18 treble out the back tied onto the bend on the hook, normally sorts out the short takers. But love the fly.👍
Yep that’s what I thought, trailing treble and even then they often pull the rod out of your hands and don’t hook up lol.

nickolas

Reaction score
Yep that’s what I thought, trailing treble and even then they often pull the rod out of your hands and don’t hook up lol.
The trailing fly wants to be small I normally use a 20 treble, the trouble with those is they normally all go in and not easy to get out, I know of several fishers that find it easier just to cut the treble which according to a surgeon causes less stress. Here are one or two small flies I use for salmon. The loose trebles are to attach to the bend of the hooks for flying trebles. If you have not read a great book by Derek knowles on the yellow dolly it’s worth a read, he even has Hugh Falkus up with him to show him how to fish the fly.

Attachments

• 37D2B37F-EFD6-4408-B88A-FB4563D58729.jpeg
    37D2B37F-EFD6-4408-B88A-FB4563D58729.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27

Andrew B

Reaction score
Always find a trailing single works best for hooking- the same style our canadian friends use for their steelhead
Is that right? May just have to try that.
Spent many an hour round Dartmoor. Loved the Dart below Buckfast and done pretty well on the Walkham n all.

Dartmoor Fisherman

Reaction score
Is that right? May just have to try that.
Spent many an hour round Dartmoor. Loved the Dart below Buckfast and done pretty well on the Walkham n all.
Yes the way a fish usually takes the fly (from below and the side) before turning with it invariably means a larger single is pulled into the scissors more often that a small flying treble. There are inevitably exceptions but I find this is always the case with sea trout as they fight with such gusto. You simply have to sign up to the fact some will come off especially if they are fresh fish with soft mouths.

And I am very lucky to fish dartmoor's rivers and the fish that reside within them. The walkham is my closest river and an underrated ST river in it's own right.

Pete V

Reaction score
I would be quite happy to use that fly in the salt for just about any predatory fish. The only trouble is that after one take it would be f..ked.