The Hardy Angel MK 1

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've posted a WTB in the classifieds although I have zero experience with these reels. In view of that I thought to ask who may be using one in the larger sizes such as 7/8 or 9/10. I have some modern Hardy reels and have owned many of the classic models. Among the new are: a Uniqua Large Arbor circa 2000 - 2007, The reintroduced Cascapedia bought in 2009 - the MTX 7000 and a Swift MK1.

I would expect the Angel reels to be very good reels and ask that if anyone should discover any still in stock anywhere please send me a message here. If I can get hold of an appropriate sized reel I plan to then look up a Demon 14 foot #9 rod. Perhaps I'm becoming eccentric but the concept of an Angel & Demon fishing combo appeals to me at this stage of life. I read a book years ago of that title Angles and Demons by Dan Brown and when I realized there were rods and reels bearing the same monikers I decided to get on the hunt.

Fishing Silvers & Chums tomorrow with the Guideline LPXe and the Hardy MTX 7000 and expect to give them a workout :)

Reactions: T7

paddymc

Reaction score
Ard, you may want to search this forum and other places before making your purchase.

These reels are notorious for having frequent drag problems and requiring ongoing mollycoddling in the hope that they work.

Rennie

Reaction score
Ard, I've two Angels, the 11/12 and 9/10, gorgeous reels, when they're looked after perfect in fact.The early ones had bad bearings, both MK1's (made in UK reels) and MK2's (Korean reels), but as the drags not sealed, never dunk them unless you've no choice and never put them away wet, esp. in the neoprene case.
MK1's are the better reel. Drags are gorgeous!.I love the aesthetics of them and they take good line and plenty of backing.
Word of warning to you, AVOID the Angel rods at all costs!
Pedro.
PS, enjoy the LPXe, I've my 9/10 Angel on mine with 8/9 Scandi heads, running line and 150m of 30lb Dacron.Perfect!

Double P.S. after the correction kindly pointed out by Morphfly, now reads 150m of Dacron backing( no pleasing some fowk !)

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
I'm a Tyke tha knaw's, does tha think t' stuff grows on tree's, t' young 'uns need new clogs, who's to pay for that an'all eh?
Any road, 'oo woke thee up?
Kindest regards Old Boy, Pedro.

jimthefish

Reaction score
Despite some of the negative press, I give a vote for your choice of the Angel. I have owned and fished with four of the Made in England Mark 1’s. (2x 9/10 and 2x 11/12) for the past 15 years or so. Never ever had a problem with any of them (apart from a handle screw once shaking loose in a bone jarring truck ride in Tierra Del Fuego). A spot of Loctite sorted that. One of them helped me land my biggest Atlantic in Norway. The drag is smooth and accessible via the large telephone style control dial.
None of mine have needed to go back to Hardy for repair. The secret as mentioned elsewhere is to properly maintain them and dry them or at least let them air before putting them away. Always make sure that there is a smear of good silicone grease on the top of the spindle.
Like Pedro, I find the looks pleasingly alluring although not quite as sexy as my Zane. I own and fish with lots of other reels but there will always be a place in my heart for my Angels.
Incidentally one of my 11/12’s is in mint condition as only used for occasional backup and I would be prepared to part with it but for your 14ftr I would definitely recommend the 9/10 model. Good luck in your quest!

JtF

thursodog

Reaction score
I've a Mk1 9/10 that's in great condition and just been serviced by Hardy.
Works like a new reel as it should.
New bearing and handle fitted.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thursodog, you may hear from me. I'd love to find the 7/8 because of the weight difference between that and the 9/0. I believe it jumps from roughly 7.4 ounce to 11.75 ounces which is substantial. I've made an effort over the years to assemble light weight outfits and reels have figured into the effort. I would offer as an example my original 2 hand salmon outfit, a 1981 Hardy Salmon Fly 13'9" with a 4 1/4" perfect and an 800 grain Mid Spey line. Total weight is right around 2.25 pounds of weight, makes for a long day.

What can anyone tell me with regard to the Demon rods, specifically the 12'9" 8/9 rods or for any of them as far as did you like or dislike them?

Thanks to all :)

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any stores / shops anyone can think of who may have one of these, especially the 7/8. Also if anyone knows the diameter of the 7/8 please post that for me. Where I live I am the only person I know of who uses Hardy reels, that's why I'm asking you fellows about finding one. I've been a user since 1978 and still have a good bunch of classics as well as those new models I mentioned.

Hardydemon 86

Reaction score
I have the 7/8 mk1 reel with a few spools which i use for some seatrout fishing and a few odd days at rainbows , i was bought the reel as a gift many years ago and touch wood drag has been mint for me a good dry , and clean now and again works a treat.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I have had the UK MK 1 10/11 since they came out and as others have pointed out they are stunning looking reels and the drag is smooth but they need regular maintenance and only last year i had to get the round gear ring replaced. At first i thought it was the copper spring but was checked in shop and when cleaned noticed the cog teeth had worn away.. Better reels out there which are more maintenance free. FWIW i would not sell it as i do like fishing with it.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that the reel is not the most attractive they ever made although they do have a distinctive look about them. I should have bought one while they were a current model but back then I was opposed to all the new design reels. I was still using a St. Andrew for salmon along with a Marquis #2.

So you could say this is an old man thing. When I was young I used only reels designed and popular in 1965 through 1980, now I'm old and want to try all the things I missed out on.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I agree that the reel is not the most attractive they ever made although they do have a distinctive look about them. I should have bought one while they were a current model but back then I was opposed to all the new design reels. I was still using a St. Andrew for salmon along with a Marquis #2.

So you could say this is an old man thing. When I was young I used only reels designed and popular in 1965 through 1980, now I'm old and want to try all the things I missed out on.
I can totally relate to that post as i myself have purchased Hardy Rods that i could not afford when i was a young nipper and skint but used to watch them being used by regular rods on my local rivers. I used to have a cheap Abu salmon spinning rod which done the job but i thought the Hardy ones were stunning. Well now i have a few but cant bring myself to use them as they are vintage and almost as new.

Jer

Reaction score
I bought a Mk2 Angel 10/11 a few years back from a forum member. Liked it so much i found a supplier selling brand new Mk1 reels and bought a second 10/11.
The Mk1 is a much better reel... with a different set up inside and smoother drag. The Mk2 needs to go for service but i am having great difficulty contacting purefishing.
Anyway, just checked the website for the supplier davis tackle in christchurch in the uk and it looks like they still have new 9/10’s and 10/12’s in stock... give them a buzz to confirm and that they are Mk1’s. See the attachment for details.

Attachments

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually have an international calling account on my mobile so I'll ring them up today, thanks for that.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I waited too late to call today, there is a nine hour time difference between us................... I'll ring them at 1 AM my time which should be 10 AM for the shop.

If anyone finds one of these Please message me and don't post on the open thread. I posted on an American forum and a guy replied that he had a 9/10. That's a bit heavier a reel than I want but by the time I found his reply there were several people already contacting him regarding the reel. That put the pressure on for me to buy it right then or see someone else get it. I passed.