The Great Reset - does anyone know what it means?

salarchaser

Reaction score
If you take the pressure off the battery by completely reimagining how the motor works, electric cars become distinctly more sustainable. It’s actually quite exciting. I’d honestly let the engineers crack on with solving the problems they know they have. It’s not like they aren’t very aware of the current environmental impacts of mining. The more I learn about stuff, the more I realise I don’t know - but it’s ok because other people are on it.
More than happy for the technology to progress saffy.
However, I think some of the 'hollier than thou' EV drivers, not all but some I have spoken to, need to be educated as to the whole life polution their car produces, not just the bit from when they buy it to when they sell it.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Some of the green technology just getting off the drawing board was mooted when I was studying electrical and electronic engineering 35 years ago.

Did you know that the Bay of Fundy in Canada has the highest tidal range in the world. The only place greater than the Severn estuary. (Why do you retain useless information but not the stuff you can apply? Is electricity generation Flemings right or left hand law? Always get them mixed up )
The theory for harnessing the energy of those tidal ranges through turbine generation on incoming and outgoing tides, for using giant ball cocks to harness wave energy and a number of others have been around since the 70s. It was going to solve the worlds energy problems......

mows

Reaction score

More than happy for the technology to progress saffy.
However, I think some of the 'hollier than thou' EV drivers, not all but some I have spoken to, need to be educated as to the whole life polution their car produces, not just the bit from when they buy it to when they sell it.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Some of the green technology just getting off the drawing board was mooted when I was studying electrical and electronic engineering 35 years ago.

Did you know that the Bay of Fundy in Canada has the highest tidal range in the world. The only place greater than the Severn estuary. (Why do you retain useless information but not the stuff you can apply? Is electricity generation Flemings right or left hand law? Always get them mixed up )
The theory for harnessing the energy of those tidal ranges through turbine generation on incoming and outgoing tides, for using giant ball cocks to harness wave energy and a number of others have been around since the 70s. It was going to solve the worlds energy problems......
Once there is a surplus of generated renewable energy.
And its not a million miles away.
It will be used to make Hydrogen and the EV will go the way of diesel cars.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Once there is a surplus of generated renewable energy.
And its not a million miles away.
It will be used to make Hydrogen and the EV will go the way of diesel cars.
I feel power generation is playing catch up. Increasing population which per capita is becoming more and more power hungry means the industry is running to stay still.

The raw materials and the enormous ammounts of energy needed to manufacture EV batteries are a key issue to that market.
Many battery manufacturing plants are not in green countries so a lot of pollution produced in those countries.
Polution is a global problem so driving a green car in a green country doesnt mean the planet isnt suffering because all the polution in making that green car was in India or China.
Still not sure where all those batteries end up either.
Whole life, EV cars are not green.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Can only guess but the United Nations website 2030 treaty will give you some idea of their goals.
Let’s just say I can’t remember a time when Trillions of dollars were being bandied about as if it’s the new norm?
What a grift the recent five trillion package is with perhaps a minuscule percent going to actual Covid related stuff while sending off the rest to goodness knows what, whilst destroying the economy at the same time.

Re the Smart technology it’s happened so many times where I’ve spoken of going on holiday, to a certain place and within the hour I’ve had loads of pop up recommendations.. they can knock themselves out for all I care as there’s nothing I’m particularly bothered about.

D

Deleted member 10733

Matter of fact where is Greta, has Mother Earth Gaia reabsorbed her now?
Since nobody picked it up, I will answer your question, just to put your mind at ease. She's in lockdown, like the rest of us.

Hoddom

Reaction score
As Ive said previously, when electric cars stop poluting the planet, causing ecological disasters and resulting in pain and suffering in 3rd world countries, I'll consider one.
No head turning by me. No desire at the moment.
That, of course, will never happen. All production causes harm, pollutes the planet. Cars - just ignoring the power unit now, cause huge harm. Materials extraction, metails manufacturing, plastics, glass etc. so if your going to wait until they don’t cause harm you’ll be walking a heck of a lot.
The issue is the Balance of the net impacts of electric and fossil fuel power unit’s in a whole systems analysis - emissions, extraction, infrastructurre, pollution, health effects etc. Currently the biggest gap to be filled is the energy derived from fossil fuels that is used in electricity supply that doesn’t have CCS.
if you ever drive a twin motor Tesla is a blast! I nearly flogged the v8 jag for one😀

pol_angler

Reaction score
Its estimated that the production of a car battery for EV creates as much polution as driving 100k miles in a diesel. So before an EV car leaves the show room, more pollution than my diesel creates in 6 years driving.
Wow, green. Planet saved. :unsure:

Let's flip the coin. How long to drive an EV car to create as much pollution as producing a diesel car? Or they just grow on the trees?

salarchaser

Reaction score
Let's flip the coin. How long to drive an EV car to create as much pollution as producing a diesel car? Or they just grow on the trees?
Youre missing the point.
Producing everything except the power plant is the same for conventional and EV cars.
The battery in an EV car is massively detrimental to the planet.
Two cars on the forecourt, one EV, one diesel.
Before either moves, the EV car's production has caused 100k miles worth more of polution than the conventional cars production.
You buy an EV car and let it sit on your drive until I've driven 100k miles in mine and we've caused the same amount of polution.
You've not even moved yet.

Putting that to one side, no sea beds have been denuded to extract the rare earth elements needed to produce the battery no fresh water courses poisoned, people poisoned in the mining of the elements needed for the battery, no battery to dispose of at end of life.
My diesel, whole life is less damaging to the environment than an EV car.
As above.

Im not saying my diesel isnt polluting, I'm saying that Im waiting until, whole life, EV cars are cleaner and less environmentally damaging than diesel cars. Once they are, I'll consider buying one.

Here you go.
74 % more CO2 from an EV car.
Plenty to read if you google. This was top of the list.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Youre missing the point.
Producing everything except the power plant is the same for conventional and EV cars.
The battery in an EV car is massively detrimental to the planet.
Two cars on the forecourt, one EV, one diesel.
Before either moves, the EV car's production has caused 100k miles worth more of polution than the conventional cars production.
You buy an EV car and let it sit on your drive until I've driven 100k miles in mine and we've caused the same amount of polution.
You've not even moved yet.

Putting that to one side, no sea beds have been denuded to extract the rare earth elements needed to produce the battery no fresh water courses poisoned, people poisoned in the mining of the elements needed for the battery, no battery to dispose of at end of life.
My diesel, whole life is less damaging to the environment than an EV car.

As above.

Im not saying my diesel isnt polluting, I'm saying that Im waiting until, whole life, EV cars are cleaner and less environmentally damaging than diesel cars. Once they are, I'll consider buying one.

Here you go.
74 % more CO2 from an EV car.
Plenty to read if you google. This was top of the list.

Afraid Nature disagreed with the 2918 Bloomberg article. In integrated global assessments EV were more efficient, inclusive of manufacturing implications.

That is, under current carbon intensities of electricity generation, electric cars are less emission intensive than fossil-fuel-based alternatives in 53 world regions, representing 95% of the global transport. Even if future end-use electrification is not matched by rapid power-sector decarbonization via CCS, it will probably reduce emissions in almost all world regions.

Hoddom

Reaction score
This says the say - EV are less harmful, inclusing manufacture.

on top will be the CCS and CDR gains committed in the vehicle manufacturing base via the Paris NCDs. gains that are not possible from fossil transport

Hoddom

Reaction score
Another study showing EV are better than fossil vehicles here

salarchaser

Reaction score
Afraid Nature disagreed with the 2918 Bloomberg article. In integrated global assessments EV were more efficient, inclusive of manufacturing implications.

That is, under current carbon intensities of electricity generation, electric cars are less emission intensive than fossil-fuel-based alternatives in 53 world regions, representing 95% of the global transport. Even if future end-use electrification is not matched by rapid power-sector decarbonization via CCS, it will probably reduce emissions in almost all world regions.

Suppose it comes down to saving the planet or turning a prifit as to how you argue the case.
If you're after a profit ir want to make yourself feel good, then they're greener.

And the ecological issues.
Yaks dying so you can drive an EV.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Suppose it comes down to saving the planet or turning a prifit as to how you argue the case.
If you're after a profit ir want to make yourself feel good, then they're greener.

Something has to die if you want a car I’m afraid.

Hoddom

Reaction score

It’s problematic to keep posting links to old material that is superseded in terms of both legitimacy, evidence and time. a bit like saying - but here’s a guy who says the world’s flat and waving a codex about.
Personally I won’t be getting an EV for around 10 years. But unfortunately the debates over. the evidence is clear. I’m just buying up some classics of the future and putting them in storage. Just imagine what a proper car of the right sort in good nick will be worth in 2035. 😀
might be worth investing in a CCU plant too though😂

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I agree, Hoddom. There used to be compelling environmental arguments against EVs, but the technology is moving on so quickly. I haven't been writing about them for very long at all, really - 5 years? - and in even that short period of time the game has completely changed, and will continue to change. They know what they are doing, and what they need to do. There's a really exciting British breakthrough on the horizon that is just entering mass production and with a decent tailwind will blow Tesla out of the water - a prospect that pleases me tremendously as I can't stand Elon Musk, but his empire is built on sand and hype to a degree. Whether it's this technology or another, his bubble will burst.

All that said, I won't be getting an EV for a while. The most environmentally friendly car is no car at all. The next best, is the one you are driving.

salarchaser

Reaction score
It’s problematic to keep posting links to old material that is superseded in terms of both legitimacy, evidence and time. a bit like saying - but here’s a guy who says the world’s flat and waving a codex about.
Personally I won’t be getting an EV for around 10 years. But unfortunately the debates over. the evidence is clear. I’m just buying up some classics of the future and putting them in storage. Just imagine what a proper car of the right sort in good nick will be worth in 2035. 😀
might be worth investing in a CCU plant too though😂
Dont think things have moved on that far since those links.
I think we're in agreement about timing.
Would like EV to be the answer but too many unintended consequences.
When EV is genuinely resolving issues not just moving thr issue elsewhere, I'll join the game.
Got a few mates with classics / sports cars. Worrying about what to do with them. Market is very thin and prices volatile.
I have a vehicle that is borderline collectable. Its a tool with a purpose though.
Straight 6, 6.6 litre Ford diesel.
Not changing it anytime soon.

Hoddom

Reaction score
Got a few mates with classics / sports cars. Worrying about what to do with them. Market is very thin and prices volatile.
I have a vehicle that is borderline collectable. Its a tool with a purpose though.
Straight 6, 6.6 litre Ford diesel.
Not changing it anytime soon.
Its all supply and demand as ever
In ten years, when new Fossil cars are not allowed to be sold, and many of the great cars have rotted away I imagine the good ones that are left will rocket in price. Boys weekend toys, remembering the good old days mid-life crisis types. Out for a blast 'in a proper car' etc etc. By then I can see something like an original Jaguar F-type, Porsche etc going for serious money.

Hoddom

Reaction score
The most environmentally friendly car is no car at all. The next best, is the one you are driving.
Exactly. Buying cars - including second hand - just puts demand into the system. Making new cars is horrifically harming unless they are fully utilized. That's my excuse for driving an environmental hooligans car.

Its a thin excuse and we are all hypocrites

I do carbon offset with mineralised DAC https://climeworks.com/

happy days

Reaction score
I don’t know why you’re all worried it will probably end in a mushroom cloud anyway, best just get out have a laugh and get some fishing done,