the forty grand man

marty31

Reaction score
more from this months t&s the editor Andrew flitcroft refers about a man! a very keen man, by the sounds of it, who (believe it or not) has spent forty grand on salmon fishing! and has not had a salmon (not even one) I mean everybody knows its been a hard year! but forty grand:(:( that's hard all right:eek::eek: sure to god, this unlucky poor soul:eek: must fall into the "more money than sense" category:eek: I wonder if this included the big ghillies tips? surely one of them could have sneaked one onto his fly when he was not looking:p

Torrish

Reaction score
Something like the guy who fished for twenty years to catch his first salmon and then does a 2 page spread in Trout and Salmon on how to catch 'em....

worktofish

Reaction score
Remember reading in the press and on the front pagers as well ;);)

That they found on the moon was it a Lancaster bomber or a London bus:p

Could had spent the 40 k on one weeks fishing and spent most of that in the hut

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Sounds like the type of person who books a prestigious timeshare beat and expects the ghillie to hook the fish then hand over the rod.

Pollowick

Reaction score
more from this months t&s the editor Andrew flitcroft refers about a man! a very keen man, by the sounds of it, who (believe it or not) has spent forty grand on salmon fishing! and has not had a salmon (not even a poxy one) I mean everybody knows its been a hard year! but forty grand:(:( that's hard all right:eek::eek: sure to god, this unlucky poor soul:eek: must fall into the "more money than sense" category:eek: I wonder if this included the big ghillies tips? surely one of them could have sneaked one onto his fly when he was not looking:p

My late brother-in-law was close to that in his last season which included 3 days on the Alta ! Fortunately his last ever fish was off the Alta.

marty31

Reaction score
Remember reading in the press and on the front pagers as well ;);)

That they found on the moon was it a Lancaster bomber or a London bus:p

Could had spent the 40 k on one weeks fishing and spent most of that in the hut
think those headlines were printed on april the first! play your cards right! and next year, you might be able to secure a booking for a week in that same hut

orchy1999

Reaction score
If the chap in question makes contact with myself :) i will make sure he gets a few springers and i will only charge him 30K for my trouble:rolleyes: a bargain at the price:rolleyes:

I will even provide the 25 year old malt to celebrate the first 6 fish:rolleyes::rolleyes: OH and a couple o filipino dancing girls thrown in also as an extra at no additional cost:cool:the makings of a great week awa wi the Shugmeister:D:p:p

ibm59

Reaction score
this season has not been pretty.
Oh , I'm not so sure about that.;)
The trouting was going like a fair until fate stepped in.:(

10 1/2 months fishing ( inc winter grayling ) for £60.:):)

Strathglass

Reaction score
If the chap in question makes contact with myself :) i will make sure he gets a few springers and i will only charge him 30K for my trouble:rolleyes: a bargain at the price:rolleyes:

You'd even go down all the pools first just to check the wading is OK... :p :D

D

Dunbar

Oh , I'm not so sure about that.;)
The trouting was going like a fair until fate stepped in.:(

10 1/2 months fishing ( inc winter grayling ) for £60.:):)

Cracking fish, trout like that beat salmon hands down. Judging by the spots, think I recognise the river it's from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgm

Reaction score
Cracking fish, trout like that beat salmon hands down. Judging by the spots, think I recognise the river it's from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aye, the Clyde style flee is so sparsely dressed ye cannae even see it:rolleyes:

rs2ford

Reaction score
I spent nearly a grand with no Salmon to show for it and thought i had a bad season:eek:.
Great looking trout Brian, here is one of mine from the same river;

Cheers Diarmid.

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
Given I've spent about £2.5k all in for my salmon fishing this year ( beat rent, ghillie tips, pub fees, fuel and accommodation) and I've caught nothing, I feel I've had a bargain!

I'll see if the gentleman in question wants to buy my blank season at a knockdown price? I'll sell it to him for a grand.....

In all seriousness where did he fish, if I had £40k to spend I'd certainly visit Russia and Iceland for a couple of weeks, and you'd still have £25k to spend on the Dee, Spey and Tweed.....you'd have to be very unlucky or a very bad angler not to catch.

fishpond

Reaction score
Simms are missing an opportunity as there's clearly one person out there who could do with a straight jacket - wader combination ;) I guess you could blow that on a weeks prime time on the Alta or a few unlucky wet week long trips to the Tweed but surely you wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket? Like Andy R I'd run out of annual leave way before I burned £40k fishing and that would include success somewhere amongst weeks in Patagonia, Russia, Quebec, Scotland maybe a long weekend in Iceland and holiday club for the kids (and court fees for divorce if I wasn't heading that way anyway:eek:) - he should quit now and sponsor some of us!

Richard

Last edited:

miramichi

Reaction score
I know of a couple of American doctor's who spend 50 grand every year on salmon fishing: Restigouche, Gaspe, Iceland, Russia etc. but they usually get a few salmon for their money.

Frankly I'd trade it all for a week of the good whiskey and Filipino dancing girls...

uplands50

Reaction score
a very bad angler not to catch.

Say no more

I know it's been a difficult year I feel luck that I managed a couple on Springers trip to the Dee which made my season at the start. Lost a fish at the net on the Usk and lost a fish on the Wye , still got 3 Days on the Tweed.

Cannot comprehend it, more money than sense IMHO

orchy1999

Reaction score
I know of a couple of American doctor's who spend 50 grand every year on salmon fishing: Restigouche, Gaspe, Iceland, Russia etc. but they usually get a few salmon for their money.

Frankly I'd trade it all for a week of the good whiskey and Filipino dancing girls...

Just let me know when you are available BACS is fine & money up front when confirmation received loot is in in my account, i will get on the case:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Next May looks good for me:cool: