The fly under water?

ck123

Reaction score
So I've been doing the rapala knot for a while now and have been quite happy with it but the guys i fish with (know a lot more than me) say my fly twists and doesn't act in a way the salmon will want to take it with this knot, they then showed me a knot called the double turle that they said will keep my fly straight in the water and will keep it fishing correctly, could ye give me your thoughts on this? Thanks

kgm

Reaction score
I often fish using the rapala knot. I try and keep the loop fairly small and have never had a problem with it, neither did the fish I caught.

Always have a look at you fly in the water before you start casting to make sure it looks good and swims well in the conditions. If your happy with it you'll be more confident and focus better on your fishing.

Last edited:

ck123

Reaction score
Thanks kgm, as a novice I don't know the way the different types of knots make the fly behave differently

Grey Monkey

Reaction score
You will find there is divided opinion....

If the Rapala knot is tied with appropriate light tippet ( nylon/ fluro) for the

size of fly.....

the fly should move more than a fly tied with a double turle.......imho

( "simples" compare the difference .com ...joke!)

Piker20

Reaction score
I agree with above. The rapala will allow more movement but then I use a uni for 99% of all my flies and haven't felt I've missed takes due to that, although we'll never know.
If you use a double hook that is dressed properly the fly should sit correctly in the water. I've found singles have more tendency to tilt over.

auldsalmon

Reaction score
Do you think the shrimps / herring and the rest of the food the eat all swim straight :confused: imho the more movement the better tobys, rapalas etc don't swim straight either but they all catch fish . A injured fish is easier to catch than a healthy one . The fish are striking the lure out of aggression ??? . But there is one thing we will never know and i don't want to know :eek::eek:

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
So I've been doing the rapala knot for a while now and have been quite happy with it but the guys i fish with (know a lot more than me) say my fly twists and doesn't act in a way the salmon will want to take it with this knot, they then showed me a knot called the double turle that they said will keep my fly straight in the water and will keep it fishing correctly, could ye give me your thoughts on this? Thanks

that tippet diameter/lbs do you use on flies mate?

roders

Reaction score
I like the rapala knot for all flies tied on hooks. It gives more movement than any tight knot. As has been said, just keep the loop small or risk losing jungle cock.
I tried the double turl and it does keep flies straight, but I prefer the movement.
Rod

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice lads! Hi I have started using a 16lb mono line with an extremely low diameter the equivalent of 9 or 10lb line brilliant stuff.

A low diameter tippet isn't the best for turning over salmon flies!I use a minimum diameter off 0.32mm(12lbs maxima) on small flies,stepping upto 0.45mm(23lbs maxima) for bigger/heavier flies and tubes,this ensures I have total control(almost) over presentation! When using these diameters its best to have a loop knot(articulated) at the fly to help it swim in a natural manor as I think movement is one of the keys to success with salmon,a turtle knot(double or otherwise) would IMHO restrict movement!!,its all about trial and error on a personal ground,and have found this works for me and my fishing,,give it a wee swim in the stream In front of you to see how it swims before fishing it,,if your flys spinning id look at the fly itself maybe,,iv seen some really bad flies being sold,too much dressing and unbalanced wings being the most common issues,,,