The Essence Of Fishing

picasso

Reaction score
my apology , i thought i read Fionaven in your post ? Yes i know that area well, the Fisherfield 6 as it was when i did the Munros is as remote as you can get, the Gruinard looks good from what i saw of it, I often climb the craggs around the Little Gruinard. Always wanted to try for the sea trout around the shore up there .

keirstream

Reaction score
If you spoke to Steve at Gobernuisghach I'm surprised he didn't tell you that their beat is no longer let and is
fished only when the Westminsters are in residence.
A lovely area up there.
Did you overnight in Sheneval when you did the now 5 and a Corbett or did you walk in from Dundonell?

picasso

Reaction score
I was at Gobernuisghach when Donald was the ghillie, the guy i spoke to was in strath Dionard near Gualin , he gave me some info regard fishing the estuary at Durness, i had just done the 2 Corbetts from Rhigotler. Yes I stayed overnight in Shenevall , did the then 6 munros and stayed again in Shenevall, then walked out over the 2 Munros of An Teallach, big weekend that.

keirstream

Reaction score
Sounds like a great weekend.(y)
You would have spoken to Duncan Shaw on Strath Dionard probably.
Lovely man with hands like navvies shovels. :D
And an insatiable appetite for the nectar.

Loxie

Reaction score
Sounds like a great weekend.(y)
You would have spoken to Duncan Shaw on Strath Dionard probably.
Lovely man with hands like navvies shovels. :D
And an insatiable appetite for the nectar.
I will never forget the aftermath of the evening that started with a quick dram in the game larder. There were some lost souls the next day!!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
If you spoke to Steve at Gobernuisghach I'm surprised he didn't tell you that their beat is no longer let and is
fished only when the Westminsters are in residence.
A lovely area up there.
Did you overnight in Sheneval when you did the now 5 and a Corbett or did you walk in from Dundonell?

We walked in from the road near Dundonnell but it is a big day. Just over 30 miles and plenty of ascent and descent. But fantastically remote and you do then get to have a hot shower and sink into a comfy bed !

keirstream

Reaction score
I will never forget the aftermath of the evening that started with a quick dram in the game larder. There were some lost souls the next day!!
Yes, it was utter, complete and absolute carnage. Bodies all over the place.
Even our own Lewisman and bog yomper kgm was carried into the rod room by Duncan's wife Marlene and slept there all night still in his waders.
Photo to follow when I find it.:D
Photo found.(y)
This is on the Dionard, so a wee bit off track.
Kenny decided to go toe to toe with the Super Heavy Weight Dram Drinking Champion of the Universe, Slugger Duncan Shaw.
I have to say, his efforts were impressive and he danced round the Champ on his toes while the big man kept wetting his whistle
with triple house drams.
Kenny did not disgrace himself but the inevitable happened in the 12th round and The Champ caught him cold with a double treble Gualin
Special House Dram.:eek:
The result wasn't at all pretty as Marlene had to carry Kenny to the rod room. Time of paralysis------9.00p.m.
Kenny eventually came round at 8.00a.m. the following morning to the smell of Big Pat cooking bacon having not moved a muscle all night.:D
The contest was attended by some curious onlookers.
Talk about herd mentality????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• kgm1.jpg
    kgm1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 102
  • kgm2.jpg
    kgm2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 102
  • kgm.jpg
    kgm.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Big Pat could never in any way be described as a shrinking violet.
Those of us on here who accompanied him in cottages and lodges will remember him wandering to and from the shower,
sometimes through the lounge or kitchen with a towel slung over his shoulder.

And nothing else.:eek::eek:

For most of the last decade I've managed to blank that image of him from my mind when he strolled throught the kitchen as I "fried Yorkshire fat" for breakfast...

But no, it's just come flooding back!

Thanks a bunch :D:):D:):D:)

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Hope you were using "LARD LITE" ;):ROFLMAO:

Sacrilege!

Nope, natural pig lard - cut the rind off the (middle) bacon; start with a cold pan, cook it till it's curled up and pork-scratching colour, giving you:

a. proper crackle, and

b. enough fat for finishing off the bacon, eggs, kidneys, black pud, and fried bread...

For some reason he saw that as a quaint Yorkshire custom. But everyone knows how to make a proper fry up right?

Oh, and careful not to splash hot lard on the wanger of the wild-haired naked gurning bloke nipping through the kitchen after his shower...

Loxie

Reaction score
Yes, it was utter, complete and absolute carnage. Bodies all over the place.
Even our own Lewisman and bog yomper kgm was carried into the rod room by Duncan's wife Marlene and slept there all night still in his waders.
Photo to follow when I find it.:D
Photo found.(y)
This is on the Dionard, so a wee bit off track.
Kenny decided to go toe to toe with the Super Heavy Weight Dram Drinking Champion of the Universe, Slugger Duncan Shaw.
I have to say, his efforts were impressive and he danced round the Champ on his toes while the big man kept wetting his whistle
with triple house drams.
Kenny did not disgrace himself but the inevitable happened in the 12th round and The Champ caught him cold with a double treble Gualin
Special House Dram.:eek:
The result wasn't at all pretty as Marlene had to carry Kenny to the rod room. Time of paralysis------9.00p.m.
Kenny eventually came round at 8.00a.m. the following morning to the smell of Big Pat cooking bacon having not moved a muscle all night.:D
The contest was attended by some curious onlookers.
Talk about herd mentality????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh my god they killed Kenny, you B*astard!!

keirstream

Reaction score
Sacrilege!

Nope, natural pig lard - cut the rind off the (middle) bacon; start with a cold pan, cook it till it's curled up and pork-scratching colour, giving you:

a. proper crackle, and

b. enough fat for finishing off the bacon, eggs, kidneys, black pud, and fried bread...

For some reason he saw that as a quaint Yorkshire custom. But everyone knows how to make a proper fry up right?

Oh, and careful not to splash hot lard on the wanger of the wild-haired naked gurning bloke nipping through the kitchen after his shower.
A healthy breakfast in natural surroundings----------------:D

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Sacrilege!

a. proper crackle, and

Oh, and careful not to splash hot lard on the wanger of the wild-haired naked gurning bloke nipping through the kitchen after his shower...
Back when I was catching decent numbers of sea trout from the A'an we would keep the bacon fat from the morning fry up to pan fry fresh fillets of sea trout in the evening. Can't beat the taste and simplicity of that!

Ypres

Reaction score
Years ago I walked into Sheneval and was surprised to find it occupied by four very posh Englishmen who were there to fish the river. The next day I did the Fisherfield Six and staggered back to the bothy where they kept me going in malt whisky and salmon. I knew even less about fishing than I do now and don’t know to this day exactly where they fished or even if they were poachers or not, but they were good company.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Back when I was catching decent numbers of sea trout from the A'an we would keep the bacon fat from the morning fry up to pan fry fresh fillets of sea trout in the evening. Can't beat the taste and simplicity of that!
I used to fry mine together with a slice of smoked bacon - now the modern fisher would consider me a dinosaur. AG

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I'm actually chuckling now at that photo.:D
Big Pat was a bu**er, he always liked to take fish home with him and we got up to some rare tears sneaking fish off 100% C & R rivers.
This was one of them and I'm sure we were reflecting on our tales of derring do as the ghillie on the Gruinard was a wee C & R zealot.
Pat's fish never went to waste and were always deeply hooked.:D
He’d need a net or cymag to get anything out of Gruinard, lovely as it looks. AG

keirstream

Reaction score
He’d need a net or cymag to get anything out of Gruinard, lovely as it looks. AG
Our best recent week was just under 50 for 6 rods with a barrow load on the Monday tapering down to the odd fish by Friday.
By Tuesday night the ghillie had us going for 100.:D
Imagine how many we would have got netting or cymaging it?
We did however have our share of bum weeks.

Jock

Reaction score
Even our bum weeks we still caught Tom just not as many as a good week. Remember one day when Brian the ghillie said the river was in perfect nick you'll catch plenty today...never touched a thing that day:rolleyes:

Still remember Malc buying out the shop of midge nets before wee John got there and him climbing up from the Rockies as the midges descended on him only for Brian to be shouting at me to tell John not to come up but to stay down and he would get him into fish which indeed he did.

I have spent hours looking for the photos the day Big Pat set of the fire alarm in the Lodge only to hear the sound of the Ullapool and Aultbea fire brigade sirens 30 mins later as they dashed to the lodge. When we heard that some of them had been in the pub when they got called out we open our bar to them. Got pics of us all having a beer with the brigade lads. Remember one of the saying .....wish they had more call outs like this:D

Happy days

keirstream

Reaction score
Years ago I walked into Sheneval and was surprised to find it occupied by four very posh Englishmen who were there to fish the river. The next day I did the Fisherfield Six and staggered back to the bothy where they kept me going in malt whisky and salmon. I knew even less about fishing than I do now and don’t know to this day exactly where they fished or even if they were poachers or not, but they were good company.
Tell you what they were.
Chancers.:D
Nobody fishes the river in front of Sheneval, it's left as a sanctuary for spawning fish.
But-------they weren't all bad if they had a big stash of malts and freely shared it.(y)

keirstream

Reaction score
One year, Pat decided to hire a brand new Land Rover for our week between himself myself and Wee John for the sum of just under a grand for the week. He was dangerous when left to his own devices especially when you compare it to the rent a wreck pick up I hired the following year for a couple of hundred quid after Tyke 777 pointed us in the right direction. Tyke also had his issues with car hire when he left it up to his pal Geoff that year, different week, but that's his story to tell.
Anyway, after much consternation from Wee John and myself about the cost, we almost didn't actually commit it to the river track as the top beat access was downright dangerous and we were frightened to scratch it.:eek:
Imagine our horror when the man in the hire shop asked us for £1200.
In best Sean Connery fashion, Big Pat protested that shooorrly there musht be shome mishtake?
No sir, no mistake, £1000 plus VAT.:D
As you can well understand Pat received some mighty pelters all week.
As we headed from the lodge every morning that week past Gruinard Bay we noticed a build up of people in the view point car park all setting up cameras and wondered what was going on.
Sea Eagles on Gruinard Island, according to our ghillie.
The next morning, as we again approached the layby, another group had formed with the cameras all trained on the island,
Behind them, about 100 feet up, were a pair of flying barndoors soaring about in the thermals. The twitchers were totally oblivious to their presence.
We stopped the Land Rover and asked how their morning was going so far and what were they looking for?
Sea Eagles, came the reply, no luck yet.
What are those big birds up there? Wee John asked innocently?
Mayhem promptly ensued.:ROFLMAO: