The Essence Of Fishing

keirstream

Reaction score
Heres a photo that my good pal Seeking sent to me tonight.
I am extremely grateful to him for that and it brought an immediate lump to my throat.
I'm here, on the banks of the Gruinard with my big pal Pat in 2017.
As you can see, there is not a rod in sight. We are just soaking in the experience and loving the moment.
The magnificent Ben Mor Dearg that towers above Loch Na Seallga, is in the background.
A proper Heelan scene.:)
My big pal passed away last August and all that the lads here on this forum who knew him and fished with him
will recognise that huge smile on his face.
He is sadly missed.:(

Dionard.jpg

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
I'm actually chuckling now at that photo.:D
Big Pat was a bu**er, he always liked to take fish home with him and we got up to some rare tears sneaking fish off 100% C & R rivers.
This was one of them and I'm sure we were reflecting on our tales of derring do as the ghillie on the Gruinard was a wee C & R zealot.
Pat's fish never went to waste and were always deeply hooked.:D

Andrew B

Reaction score
It’s a special thing to have a fishing pal to share the moments. I lost my fishing buddy last August and I think of him down the river.
Sorry for the loss.

keirstream

Reaction score
Anyone who knows the river will recognize the tree at the tail of Shepherds in the background.
Tyke777 will definitely recognize it, he just about lives there. :D

keirstream

Reaction score
And here's a one lower down of the man and his ghillie taking a funny Turn...

Daft headgear obligatory...
View attachment 59112
That is a braw pool to fish with a great lie for running fish resting for a moment or 2 before forging upstream in the tailout almost on the turn.
Chris, you will remember 2 grown men rolling about there after a wee altercation?:eek:

Tyke777

Reaction score
I am extremely grateful to him for that and it brought an immediate lump to my throat.
As you can see, there is not a rod in sight. We are just soaking in the experience and loving the moment.
The magnificent Ben Mor Dearg that towers above Loch Na Seallga, is in the background.
My big pal passed away last August and all that the lads here on this forum who knew him and fished with him

View attachment 59103
kellykettle.jpg

What a wonderful picture Tom, the few times I was so lucky to fish alongside Pat and the man "Carruthers" they just don't make them like that any more. ;) 🎣

Had to dig out the photo of my go everywhere Kelly Kettle, it was taken just about where you were sat with Pat, the obligatory Yorkshire Tea 🍵.

As you say there's more to fishing than catching fish, it will be good to see you with the dog ghillie 🐶this year as well somewhere...👍

I am back again in August this year, if we are allowed 🤞🤞🤞, a truly remarkable place which I have been fortunate to have fished for years.

keirstream

Reaction score
View attachment 59114

What a wonderful picture Tom, the few times I was so lucky to fish alongside Pat and the man "Carruthers" they just don't make them like that any more. ;) 🎣

Had to dig out the photo of my go everywhere Kelly Kettle, it was taken just about where you were sat with Pat, the obligatory Yorkshire Tea 🍵.

As you say there's more to fishing than catching fish, it will be good to see you with the dog ghillie 🐶this year as well somewhere...👍

I am back again in August this year, if we are allowed 🤞🤞🤞, a truly remarkable place which I have been fortunate to have fished for years.
Wee John Carruthers was indeed another character in our party who could never be replaced.:)
His tales of his youth in Glasgow were legendary including his apprenticeship at Howdens where his workmates were constantly cutting legs of his boiler suits and arms off his jackets. He ended up with more thread than cloth on his work clothes.:D
Then there was his story about seeing an elephant with a pink spotted necktie on his way home from the pub one night.
When he told his mother about it and her recognising the effects of alcohol she immediately banned him from the pub and he went to bed worrying that he had been hallucinating.
Next day headlines in the Evening Times. "Escaped Elephant Re Captured and Returned To The Kelvin Hall Circus":love:
Then there was the night he fell out of the back door of the underground train.:eek:
But that's another story.:)

Tyke777

Reaction score
Wee John Carruthers was indeed another character in our party who could never be replaced.:)
His tales of his youth in Glasgow were legendary including his apprenticeship at Howdens where his workmates were constantly cutting legs of his boiler suits and arms off his jackets. He ended up with more thread than cloth on his work clothes.:D
Then there was his story about seeing an elephant with a pink spotted necktie on his way home from the pub one night.
When he told his mother about it and her recognising the effects of alcohol she immediately banned him from the pub and he went to bed worrying that he had been hallucinating.
Next day headlines in the Evening Times. "Escaped Elephant Re Captured and Returned To The Kelvin Hall Circus":love:
Then there was the night he fell out of the back door of the underground train.:eek:
But that's another story.:)
I think I was nearly out of order the time he was fishing with me on the Gruinard, at breakfast he let slip that he had forgotten his midgy net, this was noted and we made a prompt exit from the house on route to the river via the wee spar shop, they had two nets left - we bought both and fled to the river.
Wee John dropped by the same shop to be told they had just sold the last two ten minutes ago, they would have more stock in a couple of days!!😬
The midges that day were top class!! John fished the top Rockies that day with no net 😧- what a brave man, he had a fish as well if I remember correctly.
We passed on the track later that day, shouted at John, he was still franticly waving midges from his head as he spoke - we asked him if he wanted to borrow a net, yes please was the prompt reply. His face was a picture when we advised him that we managed to procure the last two nets in the shop - he did forgive me later that night ;) after a pint or three of Draught Daleside Best Bitter :cool:🍻🍻🍻

keirstream

Reaction score
The midges that day were top class!! John fished the top Rockies that day with no net 😧- what a brave man, he had a fish as well if I remember correctly.

-
They were Malc and I can still see his face when you actually told him that you had bought the shop out of their whole stock!!!!:D
He actually had 3 fish that afternoon, all from Top and Middle Rockies after he had decided enough was enough with the Flying Teeth.:eek:
Halfway up the hill to the Jeep, he was met by Brian Fraser, the ghillie, who offered him a loan of a midge net if he would like to go back down to the Rockies to catch a fish. After much persuasion, John relented in a torrent of sweary words and headed off with Brian. He had the 1st fish from Top Rockies, then 2 from Middle (God, how I'd love to fish that pool again, best on the river I.M.O.) before once again throwing in the towel.
Pat and I then had a throw in Turn while John sat in the car sulking with a cloud of imported midges that didn't impress him much.
If I remember correctly your revelation came when we stopped at the Bothy Pool to catch up with you.
His face!!!! What a picture.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tyke777

Reaction score
They were Malc and I can still see his face when you actually told him that you had bought the shop out of their whole stock!!!!:D
He actually had 3 fish that afternoon, all from Top and Middle Rockies after he had decided enough was enough with the Flying Teeth.:eek:
Halfway up the hill to the Jeep, he was met by Brian Fraser, the ghillie, who offered him a loan of a midge net if he would like to go back down to the Rockies to catch a fish. After much persuasion, John relented in a torrent of sweary words and headed off with Brian. He had the 1st fish from Top Rockies, then 2 from Middle (God, how I'd love to fish that pool again, best on the river I.M.O.) before once again throwing in the towel.
Pat and I then had a throw in Turn while John sat in the car sulking with a cloud of imported midges that didn't impress him much.
If I remember correctly your revelation came when we stopped at the Bothy Pool to catch up with you.
His face!!!! What a picture.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Its not all just about fishing, camaraderie at its best - sometimes hurts ;)
I agree - the three Rockie Pools are amazing to fish, a wonderful highland river, but sadly almost useless without a little fresh water...

Andrew B

Reaction score
Its not all just about fishing, camaraderie at its best - sometimes hurts ;)
I agree - the three Rockie Pools are amazing to fish, a wonderful highland river, but sadly almost useless without a little fresh water...
Camaraderie is that what they call it😂

lax0341

Reaction score
That‘s really a great thread. It remembers me much on my good fishing pal Peter Schleimann, sitting together with wet towels on our heads in the heat of 31 centigrade celsius on the banks of the river Gaula in Norway.
Unfortunately Peter passed away also some years ago. :( :cry:

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Big Pat could never in any way be described as a shrinking violet.
Those of us on here who accompanied him in cottages and lodges will remember him wandering to and from the shower,
sometimes through the lounge or kitchen with a towel slung over his shoulder.

And nothing else.:eek::eek:

Loxie

Reaction score

View attachment 59103
A great bloke and a great loss.

Smoggy

Reaction score

View attachment 59103
I remember that holiday well!
Pat was a lovely man and thoroughly enjoyed his company and the rest of the party in 2017 fishing the Gruinard.
I have lost too many friends and family in the last 10-12 years, and the loss of someone never leaves you, you just learn to manage/cope with it a bit better than the day before.

keirstream

Reaction score
View attachment 59114

Looking at that picture from the almost identical position of the first reminds me of the old Scots adage, suitably modified to the location.
If you can see Ben Derg Mor its going to rain,
if you can't see it, it's raining.
:D :D :D

picasso

Reaction score
Beautiful part of the world this, not quite getting the mountain, i thought you said it was Foinaven but it looks more like Meall Horn ? Never had the chance to fish the River Dionard , had my only Salmon from a loch on Loch Dionard while staying at Gobernuisgach a few years ago. Spoke to the ghille of the river while doing the Corbetts last year, i was surprised no one was fishing as conditions were good.

keirstream

Reaction score
Beautiful part of the world this, not quite getting the mountain, i thought you said it was Foinaven but it looks more like Meall Horn ? Never had the chance to fish the River Dionard , had my only Salmon from a loch on Loch Dionard while staying at Gobernuisgach a few years ago. Spoke to the ghille of the river while doing the Corbetts last year, i was surprised no one was fishing as conditions were good.
Not the Dionard Picasso. Its the Gruinard and the hill is Ben Dearg Mor, across the loch from An Teallach. If you've been to Sheneval and the Fisherfield Forest you are bang in the middle of that wild country.(y)