The Drowes Produces A Whopper.

Loxie

Reaction score
The sad thing for me, is that he felt the need to explain and justify keeping his fish.
Unfortunately this is how we are made to feel these days. If any salmon populations are really so weak that an angler can't take an occasional fish then that river is probably doomed anyway.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is how we are made to feel these days. If any salmon populations are really so weak that an angler can't take an occasional fish then that river is probably doomed anyway.
The thing about it is no one really knows the true state of any River , alot of Anglers take fish on c&r rivers or even open rivers if no one is there to witness them, and they never declare them when they return their logbook or licence at the end of the year.
If every angler keeps one for the pot and you have 2 or 3 hundred on a system, just say 50 % of them catch a fish your talking alot of redds that have gone.
I don't think c&r is working at all for this very simple reason.
It's really up to the individual once you let one or two return it doesn't bother you anymore and it becomes second nature.

Loxie

Reaction score
The thing about it is no one really knows the true state of any River , alot of Anglers take fish on c&r rivers or even open rivers if no one is there to witness them, and they never declare them when they return their logbook or licence at the end of the year.
If every angler keeps one for the pot and you have 2 or 3 hundred on a system, just say 50 % of them catch a fish your talking alot of redds that have gone.
It's really up to the individual once you let one or two return it doesn't bother you anymore and it becomes second nature.
CR can't possibly work because the concept is fundamentally flawed.

nore fly

Reaction score
Having caught some big ones over the years ..the excitement levels and adrenaline goes threw the roof ..and nothing prepares you for this with massive fish on your line .they are in a different league to the usual catch ..hence sometimes anglers make decisions they may regret later on when they have time to reflect on such beautiful fish and genetic stock loss .....not at the time but later on when the dust settles ...
Someone mentioned the great taste of a large fish .not really .smaller fish are alot nicer to eat ..what can be done to protect the genetics of these large fishf ...I guess a ifi led campaign to encourage these fish to be returned to help genetic stocks going forward ...any other suggestions lads ..
I have guilt from the big fish I bashed on the head to show off over the years ...because the memories of the fight are the real treasure .they stick with you for years .and giving everyone has a camera phone a picture of your catch is the way to go ...and pop it back in ...the lad did nothing legally wrong ...so we cant blame him ...

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Having caught some big ones over the years ..the excitement levels and adrenaline goes threw the roof ..and nothing prepares you for this with massive fish on your line .they are in a different league to the usual catch ..hence sometimes anglers make decisions they may regret later on when they have time to reflect on such beautiful fish and genetic stock loss .....not at the time but later on when the dust settles ...
Someone mentioned the great taste of a large fish .not really .smaller fish are alot nicer to eat ..what can be done to protect the genetics of these large fishf ...I guess a ifi led campaign to encourage these fish to be returned to help genetic stocks going forward ...any other suggestions lads ..
I have guilt from the big fish I bashed on the head to show off over the years ...because the memories of the fight are the real treasure .they stick with you for years .and giving everyone has a camera phone a picture of your catch is the way to go ...and pop it back in ...the lad did nothing legally wrong ...so we cant blame him ...

Its documented that Each catchment or tributary within a catchment may have genetic specific populations.

Even allowing for straying fish but Has anyone any proof that big fish breed big fish?

Surely if parent genetics were so key in determining adult fish size or indeed run timing. We'd have nothing but big fish running hatchery supported rivers at our favourite time of the year?

nore fly

Reaction score
Its documented that Each catchment or tributary within a catchment may have genetic specific populations.

Even allowing for straying fish but Has anyone any proof that big fish breed big fish?

Surely if parent genetics were so key in determining adult fish size or indeed run timing. We'd have nothing but big fish running hatchery supported rivers at our favourite time of the year?
I am no expert ..but surely the big fish rivers of ireland have big fish because they have big fish breeding stock ....

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I am no expert ..but surely the big fish rivers of ireland have big fish because they have big fish breeding stock ....
Me either. Just asking a question really..

True some rivers produce bigger fish than others but every river system is different too. Surely environment plays a part as much as genes?

It makes sense if the river is renowned for big fish that breeding 2 together will have a good chance of producing a similar adult but if you put 2 big fish from a river kmown primarily as a Grilse river. Will you get the same result?

Beef

Reaction score

Interesting

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
To get big fish you need big smolts mostly, compare the feeding in the likes of the Suir to a peaty western spate river, the Suir is renowned for big fish.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
To get big fish you need big smolts mostly, compare the feeding in the likes of the Suir to a peaty western spate river, the Suir is renowned for big fish.

That's what I was thinking Bogwoppit. Does the river determine the condition the smolts go to see and in turn their survival rate and size along with their feeding grounds.

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking Bogwoppit. Does the river determine the condition the smolts go to see and in turn their survival rate and size along with their feeding grounds.
It’s large factor but it’s not the only one, genetics has a large part to play too along with conditions at sea.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Time spent at sea is a huge part as well. But yes big smolts at 1 to 2 years old beat stunted smolts at 3 to 4 years old! They only have a limited life span. Irish rivers also need a lake to have big salmon. Big fish do not last long it the river as they do not fit through nets and lakes are not as easy to net. Sorry but true.

lax0341

Reaction score
If you are really interested in that question you have to ask the guys of the HOF‘s fishing club on the river Storaa in Denmark.
They breed really big fish and sort them out in their hatchery. But the Storaa has also a run of summer grilse.

Bogwoppit

Reaction score
Time spent at sea is a huge part as well. But yes big smolts at 1 to 2 years old beat stunted smolts at 3 to 4 years old! They only have a limited life span. Irish rivers also need a lake to have big salmon. Big fish do not last long it the river as they do not fit through nets and lakes are not as easy to net. Sorry but true.
Needing a lake is true for the acidic rivers in the west but not the more fertile rivers in the south and east.

westie4566

Reaction score
Just picked up on this SS.

Whilst I don't doubt that such behaviour goes on in your neck of the woods. Here in Scotland it just aint worth your time to break the rules.

The rivers here are very well watched and taking a fish when you aren't allowed to would wreck your fishing for ever more.

I'm lucky to still fish a river that is Cat 1. Mind you, the window for getting a late spring fish for the smoker is incredibly small due to all the other regs.

Yer man is lucky to have that cracker. That'd be going straight to the smoker were it mine.

Royser89

Reaction score
If I had the chance of getting a fish like this one I would not think twice of knocking it on the head. I would be staring at him now over the fire place having saying this I often had the talk with the lads a late fish in the season would be released without doubt. I suppose we are lucky enough to harvest a few fish a year if I took five fish it would be alot.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

kinnaber

Reaction score
great fish 👌
but does every irish springer get chapped ?? I know its the individuals choice but I see a lot of dead Irish spring fish. are the Irish stocks healthy enough to maintain this ?
no need for tin hat its just my observation

As a generalisation for whatever reason the Irish continue to show a reluctance to embrace catch and release . Pretty sad really the percentage of Spring salmon you see tagged . Perhaps the issue should be enforced ?

wormo

Reaction score
As a generalisation for whatever reason the Irish continue to show a reluctance to embrace catch and release . Pretty sad really the percentage of Spring salmon you see tagged . Perhaps the issue should be enforced ?
guess I'm just jealous over here we have to put pretty much everything back including sea trout

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

kinnaber

Reaction score
guess I'm just jealous over here we have to put pretty much everything back including sea trout

There are still plenty of cat 1 and 2 systems where fish can still be taken and I for one will continue to take a percentage of my catch within the rules for my personal consumption . My biggest concern now is the open and close season times . IMO it’s increasingly difficult to justify the length of seasons where at either end your target fish are kelted or gravid .

nitro2012

Reaction score

I Think On Most Of The Game C&R River's Here Your Aloud To Take Trout So That Isn't So Bad For Folk That Enjoy Eating There Catch.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I Think On Most Of The Game C&R River's Here Your Aloud To Take Trout So That Isn't So Bad For Folk That Enjoy Eating There Catch.
It's a real shame as the seatrout stocks have plummeted, worse than salmon 😞 that's a fish I would prefer full catch and release. Our salmon smolts get one pass of the toxic seatrout farms but our seatrout live among them 😞

nitro2012

Reaction score
It's a real shame as the seatrout stocks have plummeted, worse than salmon 😞 that's a fish I would prefer full catch and release. Our salmon smolts get one pass of the toxic seatrout farms but our seatrout live among them 😞
The Likes Of The Faughan See's A Excellent Stock Of Seatrout Each Season Although I Haven't Fished The River In A Few Years So That May Have Changed. You Are Right Some Rivers Get Next To No Seatrout Returns Each Year And Are Nearly Void Of Trout Now.