The double-walled non-hinging braided loop

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Guys,
When I can do it I prefer braided loops, especially on shooting heads, to be built in such a way that the end of the fly line is up against the braided loop. This method is a bit tricky to do but it gives a neat finish and is non-hinging.

This is what you need: some 50 lbs braided mono such as Gudebrod for up to 9/10 shooting heads or Fordham & Wakefield's for larger shooting heads, and a splicing needle.

P1020973.jpg

The photo shows a Cortland splicing needle designed to be used with braided Dacron (it's the larger of the two sizes available). A similar tool is used by coarse anglers to set up hair rigs. Fordham & Wakefield's braided mono is more readily available and is easier to work with, but is inclined to unravel at the cut end.

P1020984.jpg

First step: insert the end of the fly line into the braided mono for about an inch (2.5 cm) and wrap a narrow piece of sticky tape around the cut end to stop it unravelling.

P1020985.jpg

Step two: Insert the splicing needle down the braided mono back toward the tip of the fly line. Note: do not cut off a length of braided mono but rather insert the needle in the standing part about three inches (7.5 cm) up the standing part of the braided mono.

P1020986.jpg

Step three: bring the crochet hook end of the splicing needle out through the wall of the braided mono about an inch (2.5 cm) from the tip of the fly and close the gate of the crochet hook around the braided mono as closely as possible to the point where the hook exits the braided mono.

P1020987.jpg

Step four: slide and pull the standing part of the braided mono down the splicing needle, over the closed hook and unto the tip of the fly line. In this photo you will notice the tag of sticky tape over the cut end of the mono. Trim the sticky tape tag but otherwise leave it in place.

P1020988.jpg

Step five: carefully remove the splicing needle and substitute a stronger needle or other metal bar against which you can put more pressure.

P1020989.jpg

Final steps: First adjust the size of your braided mono loop by pulling and feeding more braid over the fly line. Needle knot the end of the braided mono away from the fly line tip.
Put a dot of UV Aquasure or the like over the needle knot and at junction of the loop and the fly line tip. Use Aquasure for preference as unlike super glue it remains flexible.
Note that it is only now that one cuts off the balance of the braided mono.

The result is a braided loop which is double-walled and where the tip of the fly line is tight up against the loop.

It take a little practise to get the loop right but I think it's worth the effort?

H

Attachments

• P1020974.jpg
    P1020974.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Sorry guys - bear with me it's my first time with photobucket
H

There - photos should be visible now.

H

Last edited:

Pollowick

Reaction score
Needles

I have been trying to locate those needles for a while but cannot find a UK stockist. Does anyone have any idea about who or where?

kgm

Reaction score
I have been trying to locate those needles for a while but cannot find a UK stockist. Does anyone have any idea about who or where?

Search for "latch needle", there are plenty on fleebay and in most shops that sell carp fishing gear.

Great step by step Donal.

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the 'likes'.
Been away for a few days (just in the door now) so I'm a bit behind with answering the pms!
Kgm, I didn't know the expression 'latch needle'. I have used them but I found them generally too thick in the shank so look for a fine shank and it also needs to be reasonably long.

Last edited:

beanieboy

Reaction score
The best I have used to date are the Moser loops - yours look even better as the loop is at the very end of the line - tidy job.

Pollowick

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the 'likes'.
Been away for a few days (just in the door now) so I'm a bit behind with answering the pms!
Kgm, I didn't know the expression 'latch needle'. I have used them but I found them generally too thick in the shank so look for a fine shank and it also needs to be reasonably long.

Like you, I believe a lot of the others are too big.

Is your needle a Small or Large?

I have found a source of the Cortland ones at sensible prices - just waiting for them to confirm postage rates to me and may order a few.

Springer

Reaction score
An excellent contribution Donal, thanks for taking the trouble. :cool:

Rennie

Reaction score
That is absolutely spot on,a little time and effort with a spot of mental input and its a perfect result.Much how I do my own but neater and more practical,if you care to notice hinging will be just about eradicated with loops like that.Pedro.

roders

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, superb.
The needles can be bought from fleebay or coarse fishing shops as splicing needles.

Rod

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Thanks for that Roders.
More recently I don't bother with the sticky tape but simply allow the cut end to fray and trim it off just as I cover it.
I have also stopped using mono to whip the back end. I found the mono was cutting deeply into the plastic of the fly line and I could imagine such a deep cut could allow a hard fighting fish to strip the plastic and with it the braided loop etc!
I now whip with a slightly stretchy nylon thread and cover with Loon UV glue. The whipping doesn't need to be especially tight as its purpose is simply to grip the end of the braid to allow the Chinese Fingers effect to work. (That said, I find a doubled length of dental floss to be ideal to pull through the loose end of the whipping. A needle in the alternative will leave slight slack in the middle of the whipping when the loose end are tightened which tends to cause the whipping to bunch up at either end.)
H:)

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Just seeing this now from a link, looks brilliant, I'll give this a go for sure :D Nice one Donal!

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Just seeing this now from a link, looks brilliant, I'll give this a go for sure :D Nice one Donal!

this method really is the best iv used smolt! Minimal waste,as small or as large as you wish,all but totally eliminates hinging due to the end being right against the loop,no need for glue(I use 2 nail knots to secure)
I also don't use the tool in the link,instead i use a length of piano wire double over, pushed through and then opened up to accept the whole head and then pulled back through to make loop,sounds more complicated than it really is

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Yeah it looks fairly straightforward, hats off to the guys that come up with these things!

Springer

Reaction score
A very useful contribution Donal, Ive moved this into the great threads section so people should find it easier. :cool:

Hibernicus

Reaction score
I was wondering why I suddenly got a couple of messages about the method after all this time!

Fame at last!

Donal:D

Last edited:

lineman

Reaction score
this method really is the best iv used smolt! Minimal waste,as small or as large as you wish,all but totally eliminates hinging due to the end being right against the loop,no need for glue(I use 2 nail knots to secure)
I also don't use the tool in the link,instead i use a length of piano wire double over, pushed through and then opened up to accept the whole head and then pulled back through to make loop,sounds more complicated than it really is

As you say Dext:):),

Piano wire or some thing alike, around two feet doubled up. You can also thread the complete roll of braid through the doubled over end of the wire to turn the braid back on its self (inside out) once you reached your required length and loop before cutting.

Great thread,
Derek