The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

westie4566

Reaction score
A day out redd counting on a wee local river. Hard, hard going over rough terrain but very enjoyable.

The salmon redd numbers were a bit thin on the ground but more than made up for by the healthy number of seatrout redds. Have more pics coming from friends so only took the one.

Spawning was well done and dusted though, the redds were deserted and saw only one old stager in one long pool.

The Spangle was in her mint all day, loads of cover to explore and plenty chances for swims across the river. Going by what we covered she must have done 20 odd miles.

rc.jpg

Lamson v10

Reaction score
A day out redd counting on a wee local river. Hard, hard going over rough terrain but very enjoyable.

The salmon redd numbers were a bit thin on the ground but more than made up for by the healthy number of seatrout redds. Have more pics coming from friends so only took the one.

Spawning was well done and dusted though, the redds were deserted and saw only one old stager in one long pool.

The Spangle was in her mint all day, loads of cover to explore and plenty chances for swims across the river. Going by what we covered she must have done 20 odd miles.

View attachment 52934

I was planning to do exactly the same today and hopefully get some more good video footage andy
but wee nic the pri cks got us shut down 🤬🤬

westie4566

Reaction score
So lucky... I Was looking forward to another weekend in the hill's wae the dugs( except nuala she's currently feeling sorry for herself) but Not a totally wasted weekend I stocked up the grayling boxes with another half tonne of tungsten
Hope Nuala is on the med soon, Arnold!!

Hemmy

Reaction score
This lock down business is depressing in more ways than one........
I’m beginning to doubt whether I will be allowed to travel north for some spring fishing........certainly not going to be booking any in advance.😕
The festive message appears to be celebrate Xmas with your families for five days and then we’re all f.ecked for the next four months .....my labs are not impressed

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Yesterday, my darling wife and I celebrated our Gold Wedding Day, Due to the pandemy and the advice not to travel or have parties, we had no guests but ourselves, but we certainly enjoyed the limited party! The reason I mention this here, on a Salmon Fishing Forum, is that during our conversation where we went through our life together, she suddenly mentioned an event that I had almost forgotten, which is salmon related and where she was strongly involved:
In May 1969, she joined me for an afternoon salmon fishing outing in our local river. I was lucky enough to hook a very good springer on a devon spinner and after a good fight, brought the fish to gaff it ( yes we gaffed all our fish in this time, sorry!!). the gaff went in, but I managed to let the gaff glide from my hand and off went the fish with a gaff on its back! This could have been dramatic, had my «wife to be» not jumped immediately into the river (which fortunately was not very deep where it happened) and grabbed the gaff handle, brought the fish to the bank, and immediately asked me to dispatch it, which I did! 21 Ibs!
I hoped that this event would bring her to salmon fishing, but she was never interested, she travelled a lot with me and still does, but her passion is to collect seldom stones, according to her definition! Had she kept all the stones she gathered over the years, we would probably have been able to build a house, but that’s another story!!

Lamson v10

Reaction score
This lock down business is depressing in more ways than one........
I’m beginning to doubt whether I will be allowed to travel north for some spring fishing........certainly not going to be booking any in advance.😕
The festive message appears to be celebrate Xmas with your families for five days and then we’re all f.ecked for the next four months .....my labs are not impressed

Yeh it's definitely been 💩💩💩💩 old yin, I'm sure wee nic will let you in in the spring but you need get yer santa duties done first 😂👍🏻

westie4566

Reaction score
Yesterday, my darling wife and I celebrated our Gold Wedding Day, Due to the pandemy and the advice not to travel or have parties, we had no guests but ourselves, but we certainly enjoyed the limited party! The reason I mention this here, on a Salmon Fishing Forum, is that during our conversation where we went through our life together, she suddenly mentioned an event that I had almost forgotten, which is salmon related and where she was strongly involved:
In May 1969, she joined me for an afternoon salmon fishing outing in our local river. I was lucky enough to hook a very good springer on a devon spinner and after a good fight, brought the fish to gaff it ( yes we gaffed all our fish in this time, sorry!!). the gaff went in, but I managed to let the gaff glide from my hand and off went the fish with a gaff on its back! This could have been dramatic, had my «wife to be» not jumped immediately into the river (which fortunately was not very deep where it happened) and grabbed the gaff handle, brought the fish to the bank, and immediately asked me to dispatch it, which I did! 21 Ibs!
I hoped that this event would bring her to salmon fishing, but she was never interested, she travelled a lot with me and still does, but her passion is to collect seldom stones, according to her definition! Had she kept all the stones she gathered over the years, we would probably have been able to build a house, but that’s another story!!
Happy Golden Wedding to you and your good lady, Gauldalen. The simple act of her making sure you landed your fish meant she was a 'keeper' in my book!

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Congratulations on your golden anniversary Gauldalen 👍🏻

keirstream

Reaction score
Spent the day hunter gathering for the ingredients a pot of soup.
It wasn't easy, the hardships and frustrations were hard to bear but I made it-----just.
Lentils are in short supply for some reason, the wee wumman in Lidl's said they hadn't had them for a week.
2 "convenience" stores drew another blank until my sharp 6th sense pointed me in the direction of Scotmid where I was able
to gather a couple of packets.------Phew!!!!!!
The biggest problem though, was tracking down leeks, none of the above had them and in desperation I asked my mate if he had
any idea where I could get some. Turns out he has a garden full of them.:D
All done now, sample bowls consumed and looking forward to lunch with crusty bread tomorrow when 2nd day soup is always better.
On another note, After a break of about 8 years, I'm picking up a working Cocker bitch pup early March.
The best wee dog I ever had, Wee Sal, was a Sprocker and I'll be sorely tempted to take a line off a Springer when the time is right,
Looking forward to it though.(y)

Sal and Sophie, my 2 best pals -----------ever.:)

TwaDugsandaFish.JPG
WeeSal.JPGWeeSophie.JPG

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Oh dear...I'd better get going building an extension. There'll be wee Maggers. Niamh, and lovely, 'bigwig' Erin won't be far away from retiring to here by then (we'll see how many folk pick up on that one, Arnold (y) :LOL: )....and your Nuala having pups...the temptation will be strong!!!!

Yeh won't be long until she's making her way north 👍🏻 The interests already there andy 👍🏻

westie4566

Reaction score
Spent the day hunter gathering for the ingredients a pot of soup.
It wasn't easy, the hardships and frustrations were hard to bear but I made it-----just.
Lentils are in short supply for some reason, the wee wumman in Lidl's said they hadn't had them for a week.
2 "convenience" stores drew another blank until my sharp 6th sense pointed me in the direction of Scotmid where I was able
to gather a couple of packets.------Phew!!!!!!
The biggest problem though, was tracking down leeks, none of the above had them and in desperation I asked my mate if he had
any idea where I could get some. Turns out he has a garden full of them.:D
All done now, sample bowls consumed and looking forward to lunch with crusty bread tomorrow when 2nd day soup is always better.
On another note, After a break of about 8 years, I'm picking up a working Cocker bitch pup early March.
The best wee dog I ever had, Wee Sal, was a Sprocker and I'll be sorely tempted to take a line off a Springer when the time is right,
Looking forward to it though.(y)

Sal and Sophie, my 2 best pals -----------ever.:)

View attachment 52949View attachment 52950View attachment 52952
You should have given me a shout Tom, could have sent you down both lentils and leeks! (y) :LOL:

Great news on the new arrival in the spring mind! That's a couple of lovely looking spaniels you had in the past. They take a big bit of your heart with them when they go though.:(

All my dugs have been fantastic over the years and all have been different in personality. Niamh however has proved herself to be the most amazing of all of them. Simon wasn't wrong when he started the 'Solid Gold' thread about her, just before she retired North to me. She's some dug. Born to please, polite and steady. That infilled with joyousness and her sense of adventure. Oh, and the tail that never stops going!(y) She took less than three weeks to accept me as her new 'boss' and his been joined to my hip since then.

My days out fishing and just exploring the country have been truly enhanced by having Niamh with me, more so than any dog I've had in the past. I'll admit that I'm a big softy and say that I love the bones of that wee spaniel....she's an amazing companion.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Since my stuff got stolen from the car ive put a camera up in the upstairs window to cover the front garden and street.
It was only 30 quid on amazon plus the cost of a memory card and to be honest its a great bit of kit.
Picture qualitys perfect, its remote so i can view it and move the camera at work with an app on my phone. Also it detects motion and takes a snapshot with a time stamp so you know who or whats been there and review the video.

Well worth the money for those that keep fishing gear in outbuildings or in the car overnight when returning from fishing or before setting off early.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Since my stuff got stolen from the car ive put a camera up in the upstairs window to cover the front garden and street.
It was only 30 quid on amazon plus the cost of a memory card and to be honest its a great bit of kit.
Picture qualitys perfect, its remote so i can view it and move the camera at work with an app on my phone. Also it detects motion and takes a snapshot with a time stamp so you know who or whats been there and review the video.

Well worth the money for those that keep fishing gear in outbuildings or in the car overnight when returning from fishing or before setting off early.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Linky Rrrr ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Last edited: