The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Most helpfull and happy to help that ive found is alicante, they always seem chipper and usher you to the front of queues and to empty desks when you have kids with you. Security do always seem to single out me or my wife for one of those random swab tests for drugs etc though for some reason (i rekon my wife looks suspicious ).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Walleye

Reaction score
Ha! Doncaster is a really strange place. Reminds me of Milton Keynes. It doesn't exist - it's just wide sweeping ring road and industrial park. You don't ever seem to get *into* it. What even ARE you, Doncaster?

But the airport is blissful. Car park right outside, never full, the friendliest staff, no queues, just so laidback. Even the Wetherspoons is nice. I sincerely hope their plans to open up more flights fail (sorry Doncaster).
Durham Tees Valley is similar. I can set off from my house, drive 20 minutes, park 20 yards away from the "terminal" doors, be through security in 5 minutes and be boarding the plane 5 minutes later. I never cut it that fine but a colleague of mine does. There are only 3 or 4 flights out every day.

I've only flown out of Manchester once and it was awful. The queue for security was incredible. Only beaten once by Brussels airport when the security guys went on strike and there was 4 x-ray machines serving a queue of about 5000 people in the security hall in morning rush hour. Several hundreds must have missed their flights that morning. I ran to the gate and was last on my half empty flight and I got to the airport 2.5hrs before my flight time.

Bradford is always fun landing. It's the only airport where I've had two aborted landings before finally touching down successfully at the third attempt. Apparently it's quite a regular occurrence at England's highest airport.

Chicago was the scariest landing. We came in crabbing at about 45 Deg into the strong lake crosswind, touched down, veered about 30deg the opposite direction, then wobbled back to facing roughly straight ahead as the brakes went on. We were the last flight to land that day - they closed the airport after us.

Oh, and the bumpiest flight was the last half hour of a flight from Memphis to Birmingham Alabama where we descended through one of those weather fronts which triggers all the red tornado weather alerts on the TV news. We landed and taxied at high speed through driving rain, still being buffeted by high winds, straight to the gate where we were ushered off straight to the tornado shelter as there was a tornado a couple miles away from the airport. I still think that pilot had waaaayyyy too much confidence in his own ability but we made it fine nonetheless.

I still don't think I have had the worst of it by a long shot. I am sure there are many worse tales out there.....

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
Airport horrors pale into insignificance after the delights of the Isle of Man Steam Racket company during TT fortnight

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

G

guest2938

Haha .... away for 4 days and still on airports

Having worked in many and travelled through and to many, my big shout outs go to Frankfurt for efficiency and for best performing package holiday leisure type airport .... Dalaman ... spotless, flawless customer service and the highest security measures in aviation.

DCH

Walleye

Reaction score
Haha .... away for 4 days and still on airports

Having worked in many and travelled through and to many, my big shout outs go to Frankfurt for efficiency and for best performing package holiday leisure type airport .... Dalaman ... spotless, flawless customer service and the highest security measures in aviation.

DCH
I don't know what it is about Frankfurt but I hate it. I have got lost twice there now when dropping off a hire car and entering the terminal building into that long silly corridor with useless maps on the wall. I still haven't got a map in my head of the place and I've been there at least a dozen times. I seem to find my way by accident - maybe that is the efficiency you refer to?

Heero

Reaction score
Bozeman is best airport.

Had good experiences at Venice Marco Polo airport, too.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ok, a subject change. Anyone found any "black friday" fishing bargains that are remotely of any use ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Oh and this morning im sitting looking at my o/s explorer map of the cheviot hills while avoiding doing anything remotely constructive as i cant be arsed.

budge

Reaction score
Ok, a subject change. Anyone found any "black friday" fishing bargains that are remotely of any use ?

Nope but them Harika boots are still on offer for the same price at JN

Rrrr

Reaction score
Nope but them Harika boots are still on offer for the same price at JN

All of the size 6 and 7 wading boots are still available too.

John Keane

Reaction score

Lots of stuff to be viewed on JN site rods, reels, lines, etc all discounted 50-70%. I’m struggling to resist the urge to peek!

Rrrr

Reaction score
14ft greys gr70 with 300 quid off from sportfish today. 109quid seems a good deal if anyones in the market for one.

Aled

Reaction score
Just done some on line Christmas shopping, a lego set my son wants cost £60 on Aldi, (£75 on amazon when I looked ...but read on...) unable to buy on line on aldi, went into Amazon to look for something else...what popped up same lego set down to £60 on Amazon...of course I bought it on the spot.... very clever I must say!
Cheers
Aled

Reaction score
What great weather we've had lately. Just ran up to the top of a wee hill from the house there for the setting sun. The light makes it look warm. -7c last night and was 0c when the photo was taken a couple of hours ago. The 13 mile hill run keeps you more than warm :).
Out for a friend's birthday party in a bit but would rather stay in with a glass of wine in front of the fire. I'm sure I'll come round with a pint in my hand :cool:.

IMG_20191130_143748443_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

Rrrr

Reaction score
Went trout fishing today, -6 on the car when i left this morning and didnt seem to get much warmer through the day. The cold snap seemed to knock the fish off but managed 3 when most blanked so cant complain. Left just before dark as the edges of the lake were starting to freeze.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
In York for our Christmas party, which was last night. Can confirm the last two Old Fashioneds before bed were A Mistake.

We decided to stay an extra night tonight. Shuffled around the Christmas market today like zombies, came back to bed. Still here.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Had a couple of days away with my other half and my dog staying in a lovely thatched dog friendly pub in a village in Cambridgeshire . Visited Bruce and Walker factory to pick up my Sea Trout spinning rod that I broke in the Summer. Having a new rod built. A 4pce 8ft soft lure wrasse rod built to my own specification which should be ready in Late February. Spent ages talking to Brian and Kay and Trish discussing all the various options.
It was nice to meet Kay and Brian again and I am looking forward to having an excuse to having a couple of days away when I pick it up next year. Here's a pic of where we stayed.

Attachments

mows

Reaction score
Had a St Andrews ball in Singapore. Only went out of being polite. What a great night, even if I hadn’t heard of half the dances, and Andy Irvine, my first rugby hero was guest speaker. Thoroughly enjoyed it, even if we were light weights leaving after 2.00am. Hopefully fully I make next years as well,

Aled

Reaction score
Feeling proper rural today: Split and sorted a pile of logs this morning, plus a box full of kindling
Did a bit of pottering around plus some Christmas shopping then went rough shooting. Now then i'm rather proud of my dog Celt. We flushed 3 woodcock, 2 of which he flushed completely off his own nose, and skill, I missed the only chance of a shot I had (also missed a pigeon:doh:) still we are getting there. Bath, beer n TV now!.
Cheers
Aled

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Wellie shopping this morning for the boys, then a trip to the beach (again) with the middle one as the smallest ones just getting better and the wifes now caught the virus of doom.
Now on making pancakes as the kids requested (demanded ?) Them for tea.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Think I mentioned before, I'm taking a sabatical from work. Not ready to retire at 55 but dont want to wotk full time.
My daughter thinks me having time off means theres more free labour for her small farm.
Dont mind. Id rather be out in the fresh air than sat behind a desk.
Anyway, been finishing off the yorkshire boarding on the shed extension. Did 90 feet on the back and put the gutters up a couple weeks ago. Last few days (only a couple hours a day) I've been doing the end elevation which is 36 feet wide.
Need to put the barge boards up in the week but the boarding is done.20191201_150930.jpg20191201_152746.jpg

Aled

Reaction score
Leaves! Loads of now cleared from the front of the house and off the lawn. We also found a (very recently) dead pigeon thankfully my dog Celt can retrieve feathered game! Nearly time for a G&T in front of his Dark Materials.
Cheers
Aled