The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
First chance to log on and post in anger this week. IR / HR issues taking over, up for some air today though. Missus made me some lovely sandwiches today, shes good that way bless her, Morrisons chinese piri piri chicken mixed together with some yoghurt i believe, amazing. Football on the astroturf at 9pm again, its a challenge getting motivated playing in the cold and dark and at that hour, but its the highlight of my week and only real exercise so needs must.

Astroturf....FAF...just reminded me of Rodney from a great sketch

DCH
Classic!!! :lol:

Rrrr

Reaction score
An afternoon chasing my tail trying to chase down elctrical faults that are making no sense. Looks like the customers bought himself a new jetwash and been messing about. Water (and soapy stuff) past 3 big seals and inside the main fuse/control module. May be a costly price to pay for a shiney engine bay with his new toy

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
G

guest2938

Hand wash my cars for that very reason Rrrr, heard far too much horror stories of ECUs being fubared due to jet wash or scuttle panel ingress. Plus, cant beat elbow grease.

Be quicker just replacing it

DCH

John Keane

Reaction score
First chance to log on and post in anger this week. IR / HR issues taking over, up for some air today though. Missus made me some lovely sandwiches today, shes good that way bless her, Morrisons chinese piri piri chicken mixed together with some yoghurt i believe, amazing. Football on the astroturf at 9pm again, its a challenge getting motivated playing in the cold and dark and at that hour, but its the highlight of my week and only real exercise so needs must.

Astroturf....FAF...just reminded me of Rodney from a great sketch

DCH
Comedy gold!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Hand wash my cars for that very reason Rrrr, heard far too much horror stories of ECUs being fubared due to jet wash or scuttle panel ingress. Plus, cant beat elbow grease.

Be quicker just replacing it

DCH
Ill try it back on tomorrow and see how it goes, if its knackerd then so be it. Its took up alot of the day to be honest as the owners english isnt great but you cant expect it to be with car related words and phrases etc. Rang my uncle who worked in saudi for 25 years as a fire cheif and is fluent in arabic and he got us sorted with abit translation. We get a load of customers from saudi as their government owns quite a few local houses and pays for families to come over and study to be surgeons or engineers etc. Ive looked after the car for years but the lad thats got it now is new in the country and the guy who went back to saudi sold him it. There is usualy an official fixer (complete with his toyota sporting diplomatic numberplates) who comes with new guys and speaks to us but hes dissapeared off the face of the earth lately which made things tricky
Its been one of those days today

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Just finished up selling lots of stuff on eBay that I no longer use, and upgraded a couple of reels and some flytying kit for the Winter.

First off is a new dedicated tube fly vice, first impressions are very good.

IMAG4821.jpg

Eagerly waiting on a new Regal Medallion with the stainless jaws to replace my older vice too.

It will no doubt arrive tomorrow as I'm out all day on the beating line but something to look forward to using over the weekend!

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Just finished up selling lots of stuff on eBay that I no longer use, and upgraded a couple of reels and some flytying kit for the Winter.

First off is a new dedicated tube fly vice, first impressions are very good.

View attachment 40479

Eagerly waiting on a new Regal Medallion with the stainless jaws to replace my older vice too.

It will no doubt arrive tomorrow as I'm out all day on the beating line but something to look forward to using over the weekend!
I've been thinking of getting one of them myself for a while now, I get fed up of the bucktail catching on the hmh adapter when tying willie gunns, me think's it's time to start dropping hints to the wee woman in time for Christmas :nod:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting one of them myself for a while now, I get fed up of the bucktail catching on the hmh adapter when tying willie gunns, me think's it's time to start dropping hints to the wee woman in time for Christmas :nod:
That's exactly why I went for a dedicated tube vice too Arnold, the catching of the tails and clutter/excess material just gets annoying using adapters.

Needles are OK but I have been know to pull out tube linings in the past whilst removing the finished fly....

In the past , I made a few with pin vices etc but liked the design , finish, the locking mechanism & the rotary function may well come in handy too, who knows, but I'd say it's going to do the buisness:thumb:

budge

Reaction score
Dug out the stick floats and sorted my gear for a bit of roach fishing on the Ribble. I bought some maggots with the intention of going for a few hours today but it's taken all morning to find everything so it will have to wait till tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Aled

Reaction score
Had an hour out with my 2 of my best pals (my dog Celt and fishing mate Arwel) rough shooting. Worked the pond, no duck there today, (there were 10 there recently...when I don't have a gun!), flushed a few snipe which my mate missed! My daughter choir competed in a local comp, they did well winning 2 firsts, and my daughter had the honour of going onstage to get one of the trophys. My wifes choir is competing later, and I will watch the comp live later, rugby and beer first though! Tidy Saturday all told. Cheers. Aled

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Back home after a magical 4 night break in the Cairngorms. Snow, crested tits, red squirrels, no golden eagles but an afternoon spent in Strathdearn, the Findhorn Valley, looking for them. A place of stunning beauty where we saw red deer on the far slopes, buzzard, ravens, kestrel, dipper and a red kite. I could have stayed there days it was that amazing!

Last edited:

Heero

Reaction score
Struck out antelope hunting. Series of close chances, but failed filling my tag. Some really bad luck (don’t ask, don’t want to talk about it!). Here are a couple pics from past two days:

3967058E-5E78-4B21-A736-91BDA46921FD.jpeg

BC53774B-2B44-4BBF-B0F3-B16D8C082501.jpeg

A0D38C3F-531B-4C21-9107-DDC5074F5768.jpeg

C7791EB6-59CE-4486-94DD-02AA0ED2FCC4.jpeg

Hunted the speed goats hard the past few weeks. Season ends tomorrow, really enjoyed it, but called it mid day today and drove back to my valley.

Chased a herd of elk this afternoon. Not as much fun as staking antelope. Got close but lost the light. Back at them in the morning, know where they are now.

D93ACBA7-B2CA-44D8-9DD7-2BA467208156.jpeg

997D894D-EE1D-4032-A781-67C783DAF70F.jpeg

Rrrr

Reaction score
Struck out antelope hunting. Series of close chances, but failed filling my tag. Some really bad luck (don’t ask, don’t want to talk about it!). Here are a couple pics from past two days:

View attachment 40525

View attachment 40526

View attachment 40527

View attachment 40528

Hunted the speed goats hard the past few weeks. Season ends tomorrow, really enjoyed it, but called it mid day today and drove back to my valley.

Chased a herd of elk this afternoon. Not as much fun as staking antelope. Got close but lost the light. Back at them in the morning, know where they are now.

View attachment 40529

View attachment 40530
Wow. Those views are impressive.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Had a wander in the hills with the youngest one yesterday as he wanted to jump im puddles. (His favourate puddles are in the middle of nowhere half way up simomside), then picked the other one up from my parents house on the way back as he stayed there friday night.
Then the beach today with the wife and both kids, throwing stones, digging and plodging in the sea.

paddymc

Reaction score
Had a wander in the hills with the youngest one yesterday as he wanted to jump im puddles. (His favourate puddles are in the middle of nowhere half way up simomside), then picked the other one up from my parents house on the way back as he stayed there friday night.
Then the beach today with the wife and both kids, throwing stones, digging and plodging in the sea.

Great stuff :thumb:

Aled

Reaction score
Update: My wife's choir won two firsts at yesterday's music comp as well!
Cheers
Aled

budge

Reaction score
Managed to get out to the Ribble with the float rod today. Waste of time that was ! Did 2 hours trotting maggots for not a touch, then 2 hours with a big chubber and lump of bread, which was always a banker on a cold clear river. Had nowt on that either It was never going to be an easy day with clear water and bright sunshine, but I would have expected at least a minnow or two lol. I even stayed purposely until the sun disappeared behind the far bank trees, thinking a chub might turn up. I used to fish the same spot thirty odd years ago, and have had huge nets of dace, roach and chub. The pool has changed a bit since then but it still looks right for a few fish. Maybe there's a reason I never see the barbel lads fishing there lol.
Oh well ! not to worry, I will have another dabble, might take ledgering gear next time
I do know they're getting good nets of fish lower down river but it can be a bit like Blackpool Prom there.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Other than a few rivers that close October 31 to protect steelhead trout that come in for the change of scenery most places are still open. This is becoming especially true flying in the face of the climate change or warming which we all no isn't really happening...………….. Here in Alaska I'd be fishing today but rain had the water up just a bit so we are planning to go tomorrow.

What makes this unusual is that we will be flying into a remote river 100 miles north of here. Go back ten years and I'd be taking a snowmachine to the cabin this coming week :)

We are still finding some of these;

Rrrr

Reaction score
Managed to get out to the Ribble with the float rod today. Waste of time that was ! Did 2 hours trotting maggots for not a touch, then 2 hours with a big chubber and lump of bread, which was always a banker on a cold clear river. Had nowt on that either It was never going to be an easy day with clear water and bright sunshine, but I would have expected at least a minnow or two lol. I even stayed purposely until the sun disappeared behind the far bank trees, thinking a chub might turn up. I used to fish the same spot thirty odd years ago, and have had huge nets of dace, roach and chub. The pool has changed a bit since then but it still looks right for a few fish. Maybe there's a reason I never see the barbel lads fishing there lol.
Oh well ! not to worry, I will have another dabble, might take ledgering gear next time
I do know they're getting good nets of fish lower down river but it can be a bit like Blackpool Prom there.

Do you not find it freezing cold when coarse fishing in winter ? A few years back i decided to take up coarse fishing and the cold really used to get to me when sitting still on a seatbox in winter, i dont get it when salmon fishing as im always on the move but the sitting still would have me shivvering like mad.

budge

Reaction score
Do you not find it freezing cold when coarse fishing in winter ? A few years back i decided to take up coarse fishing and the cold really used to get to me when sitting still on a seatbox in winter, i dont get it when salmon fishing as im always on the move but the sitting still would have me shivvering like mad.

I do get cold especially now I'm an old f##t. Like you say salmon fishing keeps you warm as you are moving about constantly. I just travelled light yesterday as it's a fair walk so I didn't take a seat. Got chilly as soon as the sun disappeared.

John Keane

Reaction score

Wading and trotting for grayling isn’t bad for your overall temperature but your hands and fingers get numb.