The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I was suprised by the lack of snow on the hills today, we had snow on thursday so was expecting it to still be on the high ground but nothing at all, not even frozen ground.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
There’s snow on the tops here but not much. A smattering. And it’s wet and grey everywhere else. We watched it come down thick and fast at 1am this morning. Woke seth up for it and everything. Very disappointing.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
There’s snow on the tops here but not much. A smattering. And it’s wet and grey everywhere else. We watched it come down thick and fast at 1am this morning. Woke seth up for it and everything. Very disappointing.
You could pay us a visit, just now! According to the local newspaper, the Trondheim area has not seen so much snow on this date since 1986!! Had to clean up the car space area three times today and it seems that I will have to start again tomorrow. At least we are almost sure that the water level for the Gaula, Stjørdal and Orkla should be ok for a while in the spring! :lol:

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
We had a flurry that lasted all of 5min last night and was gone just as quick, talla had fun for the time it lasted, running and jumping catching the flakes... It's so funny to watch

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Yesterday I was on top of a hopper 70ft in the air on a really narrow platform with a safety harness on. I don't like heights and I don't like falling. All I had on was a short sleeve shirt and a hi viz vest. At ground level it wasn't too cold then the snow started and it was absolutely freezing. Never been do glad to get back to the ground and then the car. Today I was gonna fish the Eden but ended up going back to bed after walking the blonde mutt terrorist. Piano and whisky this evening means no Eden tomorrow either.

salarchaser

Reaction score
We had a flurry that lasted all of 5min last night and was gone just as quick, talla had fun for the time it lasted, running and jumping catching the flakes... It's so funny to watch
Was snowing like mad in Liverpool yesterday for an hour or so. Lots of people looking out the office window making ooooo sounds.
Our border doesn't try and catch snow flakes, she just stares upwards barking when it snows.
Was working on our shed extension today. Base about ready. Alright for my daughter's boyfriend sitting in a heated cab on the excavator while I was stood in the cold with the laser theodolight. He got the finger when he said he'd just turned the heated seat on.
Steel turning up in the week so a busy weekend next weekend.
Looking around the field, there is a hint of colour in the trees. No leaves, but the branches must have sap rising. Most noticeable on the willows. The Hawthorne in the hedge has got buds on the side that hasn't been cut. Flock of 100+ starlings in the field as well.
Rhubarb up 6-8 inches and some daffs up in the verges.
Seems quite early.

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
My daffs are breaking through. I want to go out and poke them in their optimistic shooty green eyes, back down. No! No! Not now! It’s a trick! WINTER IS COMING!

Chicharito

Reaction score
My daffs are breaking through. I want to go out and poke them in their optimistic shooty green eyes, back down. No! No! Not now! It’s a trick! WINTER IS COMING!
Things do seem a bit early this year. I always think winter kicks in late February to early March. There's nearly always snow first couple of weeks in March. Had some interesting trips to Manchester Airport for my annual ski trip over the years. Last year I had to drive 140 miles to get there although its only about 35 miles away. Drove south to Derby, West to Stoke and North to Manchester.
We had a bit of snow last night on the edge of the Pennines where we live. Nearly all gone by morning, plenty of animal tracks in the bit of snow that was left - badgers, fox, rabbits, squirrels.

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Optimistic shooty green eyes?

I have an answer for quite a lot of comments. On this occasion however words fail me :thumb:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
That’s what they are, Perry. I can’t change that. The soil all along my front wall is peppered with optimistic shooty green eyes.

Chicarito, I live 40 miles from Manchester snd it may as well be 400, for the time it takes. Who put those sodding Pennines there?!

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Things do seem a bit early this year. I always think winter kicks in late February to early March. There's nearly always snow first couple of weeks in March. Had some interesting trips to Manchester Airport for my annual ski trip over the years. Last year I had to drive 140 miles to get there although its only about 35 miles away. Drove south to Derby, West to Stoke and North to Manchester.
We had a bit of snow last night on the edge of the Pennines where we live. Nearly all gone by morning, plenty of animal tracks in the bit of snow that was left - badgers, fox, rabbits, squirrels.

Only tried skiing once. Went to that daft as a brush dry slope at Rossendale. My God it was torture. I nearly killed myself and that was just putting the silly boots on. Never ever again. The beer however was excellent. An American kid of about 14 years old who could ski a bit got carried away showing off to his mates. When he hit the bottom of the big slope at daft as a brush miles per hour he really did get carried away by paramedics. It was unkind to laugh but I was drunk and am not known for my sensitivity

dave_n

Reaction score
All set for some clonking chub this afternoon after a cold spell...ended up with clonking Brownies!

All on bread paste

WP_20190120_11_38_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20190120_12_14_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20190120_14_13_20_Pro.jpg

Biggest just short of 3Lb

Reaction score
Just Loch Lomond today. Struggling to get excited for the salmon fishing this year. The number of comorants and goosanders doesn't bode well for Parr and smolt survival rates. Love the place but the salmon fishing urge has never been lower.

Paddle around Inchmurrin and Creinch. Was a mild 4C in the sun.

IMG_20190120_122739-EFFECTS.jpg

Sun setting.

IMG_20190120_130928-EFFECTS.jpg

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
All set for some clonking chub this afternoon after a cold spell...ended up with clonking Brownies!

All on bread paste

View attachment 34684

View attachment 34685

View attachment 34686

Biggest just short of 3Lb
Very nice Dave even if not the target species. Not fished the Wyre for donkeys years, a lovely little river though. My old man grew up fishing it around St Michael's. Used to catch seatrout at the weir on the A6. Does it still get a few grilse and seatrout? Knew a guy in the 2000s that had 5 salmon one season. Not heard much since.

Last edited:

dave_n

Reaction score
Very nice Dave even if not the target species. Not fished the Wyre for donkeys years, a lovely little river though. My old man grew up fishing it around St Michael's. Used to catch seatrout at the weir on the A6. Does it still get a few grilse and seatrout? Knew a guy in the 2000s that had 5 salmon one season. Not heard much since.
yep has a nice run of sea trout from May but the salmon are rare.
Funnily enough the wyre has more salmon parr per capita than any other in the NW
A mixture of chub, pike, brownies and cormorants mean very few escape to the sea

Aled

Reaction score
Right then: Yesterday, I went through my wardrobe, and I have a bag of clothes for the charity shop, bought a tyre compressor! Today I Read a hymn out in Chapel drank communal wine, but as it was in a religious establishment I have not yet broken Dry January. Those logs I split last week have been stacked, took my son out on the bike, walked and trained the dog. That'll do!
Cheers
Aled

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Right then: Yesterday, I went through my wardrobe, and I have a bag of clothes for the charity shop, bought a tyre compressor! Today I Read a hymn out in Chapel drank communal wine, but as it was in a religious establishment I have not yet broken Dry January. Those logs I split last week have been stacked, took my son out on the bike, walked and trained the dog. That'll do!
Cheers
Aled

Blimey young man slow down a bit. You are making me feel guilty as all I have done today is play piano and doss around the house. Drinking whisky last night (never heard of dry January, sorry) rendered me not much good for anything else today. I did walk my little doggie twice though.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Had a really really long lie in - luxury. Walked the dog. Played catch for ages with the boy, then Guess Who. Read a bit of my book while he read his comics. Wrote a presentation on empowerment, for work. Now drinking kir royales in front of the tv. It’s still Christmas here.

Rennie

Reaction score
The last of the wild apples from last year have only just fallen from the trees in the park now.The Daff. shoots are well on the way at 6" or so high and one or two have a drop of colour about them now.Snow drops are out by the local medical centre, plenty showing developing flowers and lots of colour.One of the hedgerows is showing a green tint to it and quite a few trees have buds that are now green and not quite so tightly wrapped.
Off to walk the Kray twins now, then a very solemn day indeed in that we will be scattering my late Father's ashes at lunchtime.
Brings you back down to earth!.
Pedro.

budge

Reaction score
Spent a couple of hours tidying the garden after work. Can't believe the pelargoniums are still thriving with flower buds on them with crocus ready to flower underneath. All the shrubs have new buds on them too. I just hope we don't have another late icy blast or they will all be knocked for six.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk