The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Quiet one today, took the youngest child to the beach for some fresh air as hes feeling abit better, took him to the chip shop for his lunch and he threw a wobbler as he was hungry and dosent understand how queues work. They gave him some batterd squid rings with his meal as he wanted the guys next to us and he ate the lot plus most of my langoustines. Never known a 3 yearold like it for eating odd or spicy things

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
Back to work for me, the joys of working in the food industry

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Had a couple of hours fishing off north Donegal. Tried out deep for any cod but only picking up tiny wee codling today. Came back inshore and enjoyed good sport with lots of small Pollock and Coalfish. Felt like a summer's day :).

IMG_20181228_130038.jpg

IMG_20181228_122938.jpg

Aled

Reaction score
Big day tomorrow, taking my mad mongrel on his first ever rough shoot. Gulp! Understandably I am not taking a gun as well!
Cheers
Aled

AlanT

Reaction score
Just back from a wander around North Berwick. Great to have fish n chips on a bench overlooking the Forth estuary.
Beautiful day (bitterly cold) and simple food, couldn't wish for anything better after the excesses of Christmas

20181228_163743.jpg

Rrrr

Reaction score
This morning was taken up by being out bid at the last second on ebay (nice shiney lts x1 reel) .
Taking the kids up to beadnell for a run about on the beach as they have too much built up energy this morning.
Then to my parents for lunch and hopefully kill enough time so the shops are closed and i dont have to take the boys for new trainers.

John Keane

Reaction score
This morning was taken up by being out bid at the last second on ebay (nice shiney lts x1 reel) .
Taking the kids up to beadnell for a run about on the beach as they have too much built up energy this morning.
Then to my parents for lunch and hopefully kill enough time so the shops are closed and i dont have to take the boys for new trainers.

How much were you beaten by?

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Day with the boy.

Out for lunch - he chose Wagamama, I am loading up on vegetables please forgive the Christmas indulgence poor ravaged body...

Then he wants to spend his Christmas money. On trainers apparently. The time has come. No more toys. TRAINERS.

Rennie

Reaction score
Day with the boy.

Out for lunch - he chose Wagamama, I am loading up on vegetables please forgive the Christmas indulgence poor ravaged body...

Then he wants to spend his Christmas money. On trainers apparently. The time has come. No more toys. TRAINERS.
Sadly thats it, thats your lot with your boy, he's gone now and you might as well be on a different planet from now and in the future.Start worrying when it gets to hair gels n stuff, then like it or not its time for "THAT" talk.Be very interested in how you'll cope with that little hurdle in life!.
All the best with it, get ready for the squeaky voice!
Pedro.

budge

Reaction score
Got the coarse fishing gear out for a match on my local commercial fishery. First time out since mid November, I know why now it fished terrible, I weighed 10lb and won nowt. Everything wet through and full of mud, including the car. I think my match fishing days are numbered as I didn't enjoy it one bit. Time to start looking for a nice little fly rod for winter grayling

Rennie

Reaction score
budge owd lad, the reason you won nowt is you'll have been competing against folk who just about live on the place.They'll like as not know every single peg and know exactly what to expect from it and more to the point know how to extract every thing to the n'th degree from every said peg.
As a consequence you'll always be on the back foot.
Thats the reason I packed it all in, commercial fisheries ruined the sport for me!.It takes away the chance of the little guy when he draws a flier and has a chance of winning something for his day out.Take that chance away and the little guy just stops going!.
You end up with a hard core of regulars, probably very close locals who all live on a particular venue, maybe 20 or so anglers.They know a place so well they can frame from most pegs under most conditions!.
The big matches have all gone now, most of the River Champs. are finished, the days of 500 peggers long gone!.It's all a muddy pond in a farmers field, with tame goldfish.Its no longer fishing, its catching now!.
An ex team mate of mine only ever fishes one local venue now.He has 20 made up top kits(and some of you think Salmon fishings expensive!) in his car at every match so he's armed for every single peg and situation, ready made up waggler and splodger rods too!.He won't fish any where else now as he won't know the venue and gets his ass kicked!.
Sad days indeed!Pedro.

budge

Reaction score
budge owd lad, the reason you won nowt is you'll have been competing against folk who just about live on the place.They'll like as not know every single peg and know exactly what to expect from it and more to the point know how to extract every thing to the n'th degree from every said peg.
As a consequence you'll always be on the back foot.
Thats the reason I packed it all in, commercial fisheries ruined the sport for me!.It takes away the chance of the little guy when he draws a flier and has a chance of winning something for his day out.Take that chance away and the little guy just stops going!.
You end up with a hard core of regulars, probably very close locals who all live on a particular venue, maybe 20 or so anglers.They know a place so well they can frame from most pegs under most conditions!.
The big matches have all gone now, most of the River Champs. are finished, the days of 500 peggers long gone!.It's all a muddy pond in a farmers field, with tame goldfish.Its no longer fishing, its catching now!.
An ex team mate of mine only ever fishes one local venue now.He has 20 made up top kits(and some of you think Salmon fishings expensive!) in his car at every match so he's armed for every single peg and situation, ready made up waggler and splodger rods too!.He won't fish any where else now as he won't know the venue and gets his ass kicked!.
Sad days indeed!Pedro.
Totally agree mate, up until re-starting salmon fishing this year I was one of them 20 that lived on the place. I can still hold my own there if I draw a peg but today I was in the worst area on the complex and no one caught much near me. I just don't have the urge to go anymore, I had to drag myself there this morning. I can spend a day on the Ribble with the fly rod and never have a touch but really enjoy myself !
I will probably go again this next week and see how I feel after a better draw and a few more fish.

billy fish

Reaction score
Out on the water

Lovely day to be out on the water.

B5E465F0-AD46-46A4-802B-4CC59D00EE52.jpeg

We’re allowed to keep one bass so this ones for tea tonight.4DF97EBB-0A01-46A4-9DF7-B87EAE6AD5E0.jpeg

Ready to go for the three of us.

183B1385-B1AA-4C78-94D0-8B661D48BE5B.jpeg

And it’s bass not “sea bass “

Colin.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Got the coarse fishing gear out for a match on my local commercial fishery. First time out since mid November, I know why now it fished terrible, I weighed 10lb and won nowt. Everything wet through and full of mud, including the car. I think my match fishing days are numbered as I didn't enjoy it one bit. Time to start looking for a nice little fly rod for winter grayling

Grayling on the fly, pike on the fly or "conventionally", "normal" river coarse fishing on the Ribble (not sure what it is like these days) are all possibilities. I have never fished a match and prefer natural rivers and waters to heavily stocked fisheries - as much for the river, scenery and wildlife as the fish.

budge

Reaction score
Grayling on the fly, pike on the fly or "conventionally", "normal" river coarse fishing on the Ribble (not sure what it is like these days) are all possibilities. I have never fished a match and prefer natural rivers and waters to heavily stocked fisheries - as much for the river, scenery and wildlife as the fish.
Yep that seems to be the way I'm heading now. I used to coarse fish the Ribble regularly 30 years ago , had some cracking days float fishing for dace and chub. I think most anglers just target barbel nowadays but I'm sure the smaller fish must still be there.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Day with the boy.

Never mind trainers, my little girl received a number of gifts from horsey customers. Invariably it was GIN.
Saying that, she is 23.

I had a lazy few days over Christmas with plenty of football and rugby watched and listened to (delighted that the bluebirds are not in the relegation zone going into the new year).
Onto some graft now. In the middle of a few days ground work getting ready for a 90ft extension to the shed at our fields. Get to play with some big boys toys. Not long days but nice to get some fresh air and exercise before returning to an office for a few months.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Must say me and the oldest boy are the same with trainers and it drives my wife nuts as she cant figure out why we need more than one pair exactly the same model but in diffrent colours etc.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Must say me and the oldest boy are the same with trainers and it drives my wife nuts as she cant figure out why we need more than one pair exactly the same model but in diffrent colours etc.

He was paralysed by choice and the sale crowds were vile, so we came home empty handed. We are saving the money for another day.

I wouldn’t mind the trainer thing so much if his feet had stopped growing. £60 for something that will fit for 4 months and he can only wear at weekends pains me. So I try and limit the foot wardrobe.

Today we are going to the tip with a load of recycling - the recycling run of shame as we drop many, many bottles into the glass bank, gently, to try and avoid alerting the whole place to our overindulgence. My car is full of cardboard, cans and bottles. It’s time.

Rrrr

Reaction score
He was paralysed by choice and the sale crowds were vile, so we came home empty handed. We are saving the money for another day.

I wouldn’t mind the trainer thing so much if his feet had stopped growing. £60 for something that will fit for 4 months and he can only wear at weekends pains me. So I try and limit the foot wardrobe.

Today we are going to the tip with a load of recycling - the recycling run of shame as we drop many, many bottles into the glass bank, gently, to try and avoid alerting the whole place to our overindulgence. My car is full of cardboard, cans and bottles. It’s time.
I cant cope with shops and trying shoes on so i tend to order mine online as i know what i want and which size, my wifes just orderd all 3 boys new ones this morning and cost her a fortune. The 2 younger ones will destroy theirs in a couple of months at nursery but they out grew their old ones so it needed to be done.

Rrrr

Reaction score
An afternoon building the train table for the little ones and a few hours playing trains, great fun although their "help" with building the table made it take 4 times longer than it should of

ozzyian

Reaction score
It's good to see the games companies striving for such accuracy. Look at the positioning of that bridge - something Network Rail would definitely have done:)

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I can remember when I had something very similar Rrrr :) albeit a very long time ago..

I done 18.8 miles on the bike this morning, just now I'm sat at the vice tying more fly's I don't need :doh: I'm then off out for a new year's party 🎉 at the mate's House plenty of homemade cider and brown ale and copious amounts of whisky 🍻