The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Today I'm going to try and make a start on the great rod room tidy up. I still haven't taken my rods down and sorted out my tackle from the end of the 2017 season. My guns need cleaning and the ammo store needs a good sort out. My waders are all jumbled up and need sorting and my fly tying kit is a mess. I've been putting it off forever but I have most of today free and I'm going to tackle it. I hope!!
Ive been putting off sorting my gear since it was chucked in a bag and thrown in my store room at work, my fly and lure boxes are a mess but i hate the task of organising them

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Wrapping Christmas presents today. Hateful. But next week will be hellish at work so it’s now or too late.

Rennie

Reaction score
I learnt my lesson long ago not sorting my gear out and storing it properly at the seasons end.My gear was done the week after my last outing!
Took the Kray Twins out for their walk yesterday and at the time thought it looked very like snow.1Deg,C on the phone weather station and had the odd single flake or two blow about in the wind!.Mindst you,it were reet cold though, but we Tykes are reet hard tha knows, might swop shorts n desert wellies for the long trousers the next time!
I would say seasons greetings to you all, but don't do crimbo(costs too bloody much!) so I wish you all a very Happy Humbug instead.
Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Took the dog out for a few hours this morning along the river wear to the little weir at the top of the tidal limit to see if i could spot any late runners as there seems to be late fish in other northeast rivers, spotted nothing.
Then a trip to hell on earth (costco) for dog food etc and the kids were a nightmare so home and now adding a dry spice rub to a joint of beef to go in the slow cooker in the morning.

Aled

Reaction score
Last Christmas concert at the Sunday School this morning, we can all relax now! It went well. Lunch at a local café, then a long walk and training session for the dog. He seems to get most of what i'm trying to put into his head! Now sat with a Sunday evening beer thinking about sorting out my fishing and shooting gear located in corner of my man cave!
Cheers
Aled

westie4566

Reaction score
Traipsed round town all afternoon for a couple of stocking fillers and decent truffle oil for another friend. Failed miserably on the truffle oil front, came home and had it organised online in 5 mins for Tuesday delivery - could have saved myself the hassle!

Enjoyed the walk up the river with wee Maggie late am - after the mental wind last night it was a beautiful, bright morning. A lot of damage done by the wind overnight. Still find the whole thing a bit soul less without the daft wee spangle mind.

Only a few cards left to right and one parcel to go in the post -thank the Lord!

Ah well, my least favourite week of the year, workwise beckons. Dealing with the mass unwashed at this time of year is a thankless task. 3 jobs I am looking forward to are one for a very long term customer who's just a delight, and the other two are to my Vet's practice and the now owners own home. They are all a lovely bunch and will be good to see them on 'happier' terms.

Roll on Friday and weather permitting I'm heading off for some cod chasing, it'll be good to get out fishing again.

Aled

Reaction score
Day and a half left in work before a 11 day break. Heading out for the booze shop after work tonight. Also need some silly stocking fillers for my children!
Cheers
Aled

billy fish

Reaction score
waiting for a bite

Long walk to the beach with Lola. Cast out and let her get on with it.

DCC4DF99-AD72-4D9D-BAB0-286301B37E56.jpeg

A few dogfish and a couple of bites.
Colin.

Aled

Reaction score
Nice Christmas day, children opened their presents, walked the dog, had lunch at my parents, walked the dog, watched TV, now drinking a large G&T in front of the TV. Hoping to see the Hounds leave the square tomorrow morning.
Have a good Boxing Day all.
Cheers
Aled

ps: Had a cracking pair of Barbour Wellies for Christmas nice one!

Last edited:

Oscar

Reaction score
Indeed a cracking day today.

Managed a quick swim in the sea to blow away the cobwebs!

Oscar.

Last edited:

billy fish

Reaction score
Couldn't find the phone , battery down . Found this evening in amongst the clutter.
Thanks for the invite but I'm shooting tomorrow.
Colin.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Nice relaxing day for me today, youngest boy and the wife are at home as hes not well, the older boy stayed at my parents house last night and they are out and about for the day. I had a day to myself so took the dog to the beach at warkworth for some peace and quiet. Now at my parents waiting for them to get back eating their xmas food and watching tv in silence, perfect

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I'm about to sit at the vice with a few drams and tie some more fly's that I really don't need

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Sitting staring into space. Hosted a family Christmas party last night. Thought I’d dodged the hangover. Felt fine this morning/after lunch - made a cooked breakfast for the people that stayed, played with the kids, washed the bedsheets and towels that guests used... then got back from walking the dog and crashed.

Had a bath. PJs on. Fire lit. Cat on lap. Cold cuts and chips for tea - that I’m not cooking. I’m not moving. I’m just going to keep staring at the fire. The boy’s at his dad’s for a couple of nights now. It’s quiet. I don’t have to be a responsible adult. I can sit a while...

Rrrr

Reaction score
Sitting staring into space. Hosted a family Christmas party last night. Thought I’d dodged the hangover. Felt fine this morning/after lunch - made a cooked breakfast for the people that stayed, played with the kids, washed the bedsheets and towels that guests used... then got back from walking the dog and crashed.

Had a bath. PJs on. Fire lit. Cat on lap. Cold cuts and chips for tea - that I’m not cooking. I’m not moving. I’m just going to keep staring at the fire. The boy’s at his dad’s for a couple of nights now. It’s quiet. I don’t have to be a responsible adult. I can sit a while...
Nowt worse than thinking you have dodged a hangover and then it hits you like a bus later in the day

Chicharito

Reaction score

There's only one thing for it....... Hair of the dog!
You know it makes sense!

Lamson v10

Reaction score

A nice glass of wine or three will help cure you :thumb:

Heero

Reaction score
I am flying birds and running dogs every day, weather depending. Doing again today. It’s been a pretty rough year as far as game goes. The bird numbers are super low and I am not getting points regularly to fly. The gun hunters have put a hurt in most of the coveys that are around and easier to access and their numbers are in the low single digits at this point. Have been getting flights here and there, but mostly it’s been a lot of throwing pigeons for her to chase and sometimes catch. Christmas Day she killed one of my nice homers. Not supposed to happen, but if they don’t fly, they die. Circle of life.

Took picture of her on Christmas. Next hun we kill will take pitcher.

1E574CAA-7F8C-4FE9-9A27-1F068B1B020B.jpeg

Also I ended up helping at community dinner. Did food prep and set up on Monday then went back to do tear down and cleanup on Christmas. They didn’t need help during event but said I should come for dinner — unfortunately, right in middle of day and the bird has to fly. I was late getting back to help and food was packed so didn’t bother. Did get some pie tho. Mostly old folks doing setup and I think we’re happy able to pawn lifting off on me. After tables and chairs all setup, old lady showed me and ancient photograph of an angel decoration, pointed to the pile of stuff, and asked me to put it together. Haha. Came out ok.

EEA78DF9-D180-4BEF-A8D9-539CCD11FA21.jpeg

Last edited: