The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I've just moved to a town that often gets cut off for a couple of days when snow hits - only 10 mins from my old house, but with a peculiar microclimate all of its own. We're very near the main road out to Sheffield though so I am optimistic that we'll be the first to be released and I won't have to eat the animals to survive. The springer is bony... It was -3 when I was out feeding the birds. Up to a balmy +1 now. I'm glad I work from home. Log burner is doing its thing... Stay warm!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Im about 10 mins from the a1 so not too bad if i can get there, my sister in law lives on a farm in yorkshire thats in the middle of nowhere, they tend to get snowed in most years and just seem to accept that its going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

MCXFisher

Reaction score
thinking about winter tyres.
Mine are fitted in early October every year. They give you much better all-round performance on wet and mucky country roads than the high speed tyres geared to delivering maximum mpg.

Once your tread temperature goes below 7C (not the same as air temperature) the compound in high speed tyres becomes plastic and their grip degrades rapidly. This is why they perform so poorly on ice and snow. Proper M&S tyres made from low temperature compounds offer an immense improvement, whilst only costing you 3-4% of your economy on major roads and motorways. Unless of course you wish to do sustained cruising at speeds in excess of 120 mph :lol::lol:

Rrrr

Reaction score
A friend of mine works for the AA and is quite often at my workshop when hes waiting for a job or having a coffee etc and they didnt want to fit winter tyres to the fleet. They issued patrols with snow socks and they make a huge diffrence in grip levels in the snow. They fit over the tyre in a similar way to snow chains so not ideal if you need to fit them in a suit etc but well worth keeping in the boot to get out of a bind if needed. They arent as good as propper winter tyres but they are a cheap way to get out of trouble if you get caught out.

Heero

Reaction score
Snow tires (note the proper spelling — speak Merkan you dog fanged furiners!) are great. Necessity for me. And chains. And carrying a shovel and a couple boards for grip. And tow straps. All that and I still got stuck a couple times last winter! Thank dog for the tow straps and friends.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Aww, is it cold there today? :(

:lol:
No,

but we Brits like talking about the weather.

Cold in North Yorkshire is -20C or -4F in your language. I know it's not Idaho cold, but on the other hand we're only at 130' above sea level.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Aww, is it cold there today? :(

Moaning about the weather is just what we do during the closed season . From feb onwards we should change to complaining about the fishing and how there is too much or not enough water.

Aled

Reaction score
A busy week this one, and still 2 days to go! My daughters Christmas show on Monday, then a quiet Tuesday...then on Weds, Thurs Fri & Saturday my son is singing in his schools presentation of Starlight express. My Wife has gone to see him this evening (My parents and my in laws went on Weds & Thurs) and i'm going can't wait! Now then there is a reason Wifey and I did not go together, she has her works Christmas do tomorrow, and I promised to help out at my daughters primary school PTA Christmas fair (Son is now in secondary school) Soooo, I've been on a snow machine for two hours this evening plastering silly children with artificial snow (I have been CRB checked OK!)Now watching You Tube with 100 best Christmas song videos and a large G & T!!
So tomorrow evenings show then Sunday Schools Christmas show 10am on Sunday then....Freedom ....
Cheers
Aled

Rrrr

Reaction score
Took the little one and the dog to the coast this morning while the bigger one stayed in with my wife as shes not well today. My thought was that a track near the beach would offer protection from the gales.... i was wrong on that one and i rekon the wind chill must have been close to -10, lasted about 20 mins with the dog and pushchair before i couldnt feel my hands and turned around. Then straight to go outdoors on the way home for new gloves as mine must have been put away wet in the car and were knackerd (hence the frozen hands at the coast).

John Keane

Reaction score
In lovely warm house looking out at freezing rain and listening to howling winds, finishing the Christmas decs and having a double espresso with a dash of rum in it. :thumb:

Rrrr

Reaction score
In lovely warm house looking out at freezing rain and listening to howling winds, finishing the Christmas decs and having a double espresso with a dash of rum in it. :thumb:
Did you get any snow ? We had an amber warning for snow today that was meant to be about 2pm but had nothing at all.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Did you get any snow ? We had an amber warning for snow today that was meant to be about 2pm but had nothing at all.

No snow yet in this part of West Yorkshire. Treacherous black ice though. Impossible for me or the dogs to walk on the pavement or drive without slipping. Worst I have seen here in 30yrs. Might have to get studded waders down from the loft!
Glad I am not driving anywhere tonight. If it stays like this the insurance companies are going to be busy!

Rrrr

Reaction score
No snow yet in this part of West Yorkshire. Treacherous black ice though. Impossible for me or the dogs to walk on the pavement or drive without slipping. Worst I have seen here in 30yrs. Might have to get studded waders down from the loft!
Glad I am not driving anywhere tonight. If it stays like this the insurance companies are going to be busy!
Yea its not worth the risk of taking a tumble this close to xmas. The back roads though northumberland were icy in places today but it looked like they had put a load of grit down last night.

salarchaser

Reaction score
my wife went off to a horse show in north wales with our daughter and partner this morning.
I stayed in and watched rugby.
Mulled wine all round to thaw them out.
Daughters partner has just asked if I can start work with him at 7:30 tomorrow. Starting the groundwork for the shed extension. He's bringing the machinery by 8. :shocked:

Rrrr

Reaction score
my wife went off to a horse show in north wales with our daughter and partner this morning.
I stayed in and watched rugby.
Mulled wine all round to thaw them out.
Daughters partner has just asked if I can start work with him at 7:30 tomorrow. Starting the groundwork for the shed extension. He's bringing the machinery by 8. :shocked:
I know what i would have told him

salarchaser

Reaction score
I know what i would have told him

I quite enjoy it to be honest. Sit behind a desk all week, so looking forward to getting my hands dirty.
It'll take up most of the Christmas period.
I'm usually up early even when not working, especially if fishing is involved.

AlanT

Reaction score
Well the blizzards have certainly kicked in in south midlothian. Horrendous out there.

John Keane

Reaction score

Being on a major western estuary we don’t often get the snow that others get. It’s just been pi$$ing down relentlessly all day and around 3 celsius.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
My niece is in a theatre production of Hansel & Gretel. We went to the matinee this afternoon - she was amazing, and had a small solo this year. However it meant leaving the sodding house. Christmas shopping meant parking the car miles from the theatre, and drivers on the M1 were quite determined to kill us in awful road conditions. It’s an ice rink in our town. Takeaway pizza for tea, stove lit. It’s all better now.

Finnjoki

Reaction score
Most days of the year are the close season for me, except those 4 or 5 days on the river I get to enjoy every year. Today however like most days at this time of year I am dreaming of Norway mid sized rivers in July. Last year I had the same aspirations but didnt go. Thankfully so as there was little water in those places. 2019 however I still have the plan in mind only this time I own a tent, new rods and some outdoor overnight experience I have gained this years 2018 hot summer. Hoping to put it all into practice in 2019 on some river bank in Norway.

Aled

Reaction score
Just been to see my sons secondary school perform starlight express, it was brilliant! My son was singing in the choir.
Tomorrow we have the Sunday School nativity, and then that's the end of a busy period, count down to Christmas hols!!
Cheers
Aled

Loxie

Reaction score
Today I'm going to try and make a start on the great rod room tidy up. I still haven't taken my rods down and sorted out my tackle from the end of the 2017 season. My guns need cleaning and the ammo store needs a good sort out. My waders are all jumbled up and need sorting and my fly tying kit is a mess. I've been putting it off forever but I have most of today free and I'm going to tackle it. I hope!!