The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

westie4566

Reaction score
Do all Macwester 28s have the doghouse over the companionway Andy? Quite a handy thing for extending the season and poor weather
Some do. some don't. It's hard to find 2 with the same configuration anywhere.

It seems that they were fitted out on a whim by the builders!!

Chicharito

Reaction score
I've sailed on and off since I was a teen. Back then I crewed cruiser/racers, then ended up racing dinghies for years but 'retired' from that 11 years ago. Over those decades I restored a number of 'basket case' boats too.

I've always had a hankering to get back on the water with something a wee bit bigger that I could use as a weekend bolthole, have wee trips around the coast on and obvs do a bit of sea fishing off.

The search for a wee project boat has been bubbling away for a while now but the usual issue of finding a berth local (the waiting lists are horrendous and years long) kept thwarting boats of interest.

Sealed the deal on this old Cutter rigged, Macwester 28 a couple of hours ago. Solid but scruffy. Everything there and in perfect working order. Nice wee inboard Beta 10.5hp that's purring like a kitten but most importantly with a pontoon berth in a local marina!! She just needs loads of hard work, love and tlc. My new summer project!

I have plans to totally modernise below decks to make her a lovely wee home from home for me and the dogs.

Let the graft begin 😂

Meet 'Lizianna'
View attachment 62001
Nice one Westie. That looks like a good project. Wouldn't know where to start myself.
Look forward to regular updates!

westie4566

Reaction score
Well from yesterday's excitement to a totally shitty day today:(

As ever when the alarm clock goes off I get spanieled, same today, lol. However, when Niamh jumped back off the bed this morning, I noticed a 'smear' on the sheets. Had she been due into season I'd have thought nowt about it. Anyhow, usual routine. Dogs out for a morning pee then their breakfast. In Niamh's case breakfast is usually a case of 'Gone in 30 seconds'😂 Today however she had three goes at it and it took probably 3 minutes. By this time I was thinking 'hmm, the wee lass isn't 'right'.

Went for my shower and by the time I got out she was panting and crying....straight on the phone to the vets and had to be quite 'firm' with the receptionist who seemed to think she was pregnant (daft cow...she's new). I suspected pyometra....and I was right.

Thank the Lord I wasn't being fobbed off with an appointment tomorrow (well today as it's now 00.30am). Vet's at 4.20pm and she was on the table half an hour later. Full hysterectomy! Thankfully caught in time and I got her home the back of 10pm.

She's obvs very sleepy and was so wobbly on her feet that I just carried her to and from the car.

I'm sitting up with her for the next wee while and have the vets again at 8.15 am......they seem quite happy with her but she still has a line in her leg 'just in case'.

Our dugs eh - they don't half put us through the mill.

Attachments

• Ninv.jpg
    Ninv.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27

luney

Reaction score

As ever when the alarm clock goes off I get spanieled, same today, lol. However, when Niamh jumped back off the bed this morning, I noticed a 'smear' on the sheets. Had she been due into season I'd have thought nowt about it. Anyhow, usual routine. Dogs out for a morning pee then their breakfast. In Niamh's case breakfast is usually a case of 'Gone in 30 seconds'😂 Today however she had three goes at it and it took probably 3 minutes. By this time I was thinking 'hmm, the wee lass isn't 'right'.

Went for my shower and by the time I got out she was panting and crying....straight on the phone to the vets and had to be quite 'firm' with the receptionist who seemed to think she was pregnant (daft cow...she's new). I suspected pyometra....and I was right.

Thank the Lord I wasn't being fobbed off with an appointment tomorrow (well today as it's now 00.30am). Vet's at 4.20pm and she was on the table half an hour later. Full hysterectomy! Thankfully caught in time and I got her home the back of 10pm.

She's obvs very sleepy and was so wobbly on her feet that I just carried her to and from the car.

I'm sitting up with her for the next wee while and have the vets again at 8.15 am......they seem quite happy with her but she still has a line in her leg 'just in case'.

Sad to hear the news Westie,
I hope she makes a full recovery and has you running round in circles again soon👍

budge

Reaction score
Hope she's OK Westie and well done on spotting the problem before it was too late.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Hemmy

Reaction score

Hope she’s soon back on top form Andy……we’ll spotted……..hopefully everything will back to normal soon

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Feck me Andy lucky you were in the ball as thing's can go seriously down hill rapidly, seriously hope she get well soon

kenb61

Reaction score

Hope your wee lass recovers soon and you can get her down the riverside for walks and some swimming time if you let her in the Don (y)

westie4566

Reaction score
Feck me Andy lucky you were in the ball as thing's can go seriously down hill rapidly, seriously hope she get well soon
Cheers Arnold. Aye a right scare!! She's going to be a nae well wee dog for a while. Vets decided to run bloods this morning as she's a bit anaemic. That confirmed the anaemia so just need to keep a close eye on her. Thankfully the bio's came back fine so it hasn't affected any of her other organs,

She's definitely nae a happy soul just now - but she did manage to wolf down a bowl of haddock and rice a wee ago.

Just plenty of rest and fingers crossed. The whole Meg thing is still very fresh in my mind so I'm probably over worrying!!

Our pal down the road has been equally worried - no surprises there. He's been through it twice over the years.

charlieH

Reaction score
Cheers Arnold. Aye a right scare!! She's going to be a nae well wee dog for a while. Vets decided to run bloods this morning as she's a bit anaemic. That confirmed the anaemia so just need to keep a close eye on her. Thankfully the bio's came back fine so it hasn't affected any of her other organs,

She's definitely nae a happy soul just now - but she did manage to wolf down a bowl of haddock and rice a wee ago.

Just plenty of rest and fingers crossed. The whole Meg thing is still very fresh in my mind so I'm probably over worrying!!

Our pal down the road has been equally worried - no surprises there. He's been through it twice over the years.

I always find it surprising how quickly dogs recover from major surgery. A litter of puppies just isn't practical in my life, so we have always had our bitches spayed after they've had their first season. Given the length of time a human would take to return to normal following a similar operation, I'm amazed how, within a few days, the difficulty is generally trying to keep a dog quiet and to limit their exercise - and I imagine all the more so with a hyperactive breed like springers!

Good luck with the recovery - but I bet she'll be bouncing around again in a day or two.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Wow... She was so lucky that you knew what to look for and insisted on getting her seen so quickly - poor ducky, pyometra is NOT funny, and without the bleeding, the symptoms can be a bit meh and non-specific until it's too late. She's really lucky that you have her back - I hope she continues to wolf down her food and makes a speedy recovery. And that you get a good night's sleep tonight!

westie4566

Reaction score
Wow... She was so lucky that you knew what to look for and insisted on getting her seen so quickly - poor ducky, pyometra is NOT funny, and without the bleeding, the symptoms can be a bit meh and non-specific until it's too late. She's really lucky that you have her back - I hope she continues to wolf down her food and makes a speedy recovery. And that you get a good night's sleep tonight!
Thanks Dee!

That's twice I've spotted symptoms that needed 'instant' action. Meg with her bloat and then Niamh yesterday. My old Mam taught me well...I'm no expert but I'm always attuned to my dogs.

She didn't have bleeding, just a discharge very similar to that you can get just pre and late season.

Today's been tough. She's MUCH brighter but anxious if I'm not around or Maggie isn't around. Even if we leave the room she's squeaking. Apparently she howled the roof down when I took Maggers out for a walk this evening...yet she was fine when I nipped out for a couple for hours this afternoon to do some work...but Maggie was next to her.

Her appetite is great, had another half portion at 4.30 then a full one at 7.30. She's not been drinking as much as I'd like so basically put 1/2l of chicken cooking liquor in with her meal and she scoffed the lot. I feel like a parent sneaking veg into their kids meals, lol.

I guess I've been a wee bit more stressed than I should be as the horrors I went through post ops with Meg are stull very fresh in my memory.

As long as we can get this wee touch of anaemia under control I think all will be good.

westie4566

Reaction score
How is she today, Andy?
Much more like her usual self and I must say her wound is healing great!

No issues with her appetite but still not drinking as much as I'd like, so again resorted to subterfuge and made up loads of 1/4 strength chicken stock earlier which is going down a treat.

She's clearly still quite sore and a bit fretty. Doesn't like not being in the same room as me and squeaks like mad even when I go to the bathroom!

I suspect there's a degree of boredom too as she's just chucked hers and Maggie's beds across the my bedroom into a pile and is perched on top!!

Gums still a bit pale but responding fine to the 2 second rule.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
You do realise you’ll now be making no salt chicken broth for madam for the rest of her life now…? They’re not daft, spaniels.

Glad she’s perked up enough to have tantrums and squeak at you. I hope her gums come back pink soon x

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Much more like her usual self and I must say her wound is healing great!

No issues with her appetite but still not drinking as much as I'd like, so again resorted to subterfuge and made up loads of 1/4 strength chicken stock earlier which is going down a treat.

She's clearly still quite sore and a bit fretty. Doesn't like not being in the same room as me and squeaks like mad even when I go to the bathroom!

I suspect there's a degree of boredom too as she's just chucked hers and Maggie's beds across the my bedroom into a pile and is perched on top!!

Gums still a bit pale but responding fine to the 2 second rule.

The wee woman was asking how she was this morning Andy👍 4.20am 😳 it'll be good to report to her that she's feeling a bit better today 😊👍

westie4566

Reaction score
You do realise you’ll now be making no salt chicken broth for madam for the rest of her life now…? They’re not daft, spaniels.

Glad she’s perked up enough to have tantrums and squeak at you. I hope her gums come back pink soon x
I suspect you're probably right, however if it means getting plenty fluids into her it's worth it.

Ask back in six months time, I may feel differently about boiling up chicken by then 😂

Last edited:

luney

Reaction score

She's hopefully heading in the right direction mate it's like worrying after wains😂😂🙄😁

westie4566

Reaction score
She's hopefully heading in the right direction mate it's like worrying after wains😂😂🙄😁
Aye. it is that! 😂

Thankfully she seems to be bouncing back. A different dog yesterday morning and this morning you'd hardly know she had a big surgery less that 60 hours ago. I'm just away to give her a slow bimble to the end of the street and back as she's clearly bored out of her skull.