The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

westie4566

Reaction score
I have some low stumps in the garden underneath a tree, and like a stupid fool I'd been putting stuff on them for the blackbirds and robins. Full on buffet.

Then I saw the first rat and kicked myself. Haven't put food near the ground since mid-February, but the little sods started climbing the pole up to the flat bit of my bird table. It's impressive. I actually quite like them. It's nice seeing wildlife, they aren't hurting anything, they're not in the garage or greenhouse or house or camping store... I moved into a house surrounded by fields. I can hardly whinge when my neighbours move in.

But also. There are rats in my garden. And my husband will def. leave me if I don't discourage them. When he was travelling, he stayed in many places infested with rats and cockroaches, and they were bold and destructive. He does not view them with the same fond fascination.

I have three feeders with a tray beneath now - one mealworm, one suet pellets, one mixed seed. I've taken the others down. I have a decent ground clear up crew in the two wood pigeons that hang out in my garden. I feel sad for them though as the flat feeder was theirs. Admittedly they don't look like they've ever known a day's hunger in their lives - they do NOT need me to feed them - but I liked watching them womble about and now they're not here nearly as often.

I'm glad you managed to get rid just by stopping feeding scraps. I'm hoping I have similar success here now there's no point climbing the bird table. I'd shoot them or get a terrier in, but not poison, and I'd rather not do any of it.
I've got both an air rifle and a Terrier that is still a scourge on rats aged 14.

Which would you like posted down? (The air rifle will be lighter on your pocket as the terrier is a gannet!!)

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I've got both an air rifle and a Terrier that is still a scourge on rats aged 14.

Which would you like posted down? (The air rifle will be lighter on your pocket as the terrier is a gannet!!)
I'm an OK-ish shot, but on balance I think I'd trust the terrier to kill cleanly. I'll make sure Merle looks after her...

Andrew B

Reaction score
seeking was right - my bird is a great tit. I'm still maintaining that she's a goth, as she just has no colour to her - but she does have a very clear chest stripe. Thanks for the bird ID!
Yes very unusual colour for sure? Almost as if it’s a hybrid or something as Great Tits are bold yellows and blacks.
Coal tits however are really tiny birds. I’m not sure I would know the difference between a Marsh tit, Willow tit and I think there’s another as well.
After the tiny goldcrest it wouldn’t surprise me if Coal tits were next in terms of size?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Saffy, be aware that rats can spread weils disease in their urine.
Get them shot!!!!!

Ooufff yeah you’re right. Think I’ve told the story on here about a guy I knew who tried wading out into a lake when getting caught poaching, swallowed half the lake and within minutes his head had swelled up?
Drs told him within weeks that there was nothing they could about his Weils disease and apparently he suffered just the worst death imaginable.
Having seen rats on the river I’m awful careful not put the line in my mouth.

Andrew B

Reaction score

This is the way I would go lol. Which reminds me of such a great ratter dog story lol.
One of my best mates who sadly is another one who ain’t got left from drinking, ended up with a primo Patterdale from someone banned from keeping dogs for the badger baiting thing😔
I just happened to be fishing down my local trout river as it was going dark when he turned up with a bottle in one hand, some drunk girl on his other hand and this beautiful black Patterdale terrier.
Given how wasted he and her were they couldn’t of been aware of anything as they staggered their way through a dark tunnel of trees with a narrow path above the river?
So I actually ended up getting up at first light and followed in their footsteps and along the 100mt path were all these dead rats a few yards apart and all of em clearly nipped in the neck and killed instantly.
Turns out the dog was from a top line of dogs and with its new owner oblivious it must of encountered these rats escaping the flash flood that night.
That dog only a few months later having never swum before, jumped in as I was playing a trout, swam over and picked it up and released it at my feet without a mark on it lol. No rats are gonna safe with those dogs lol.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Saffy, be aware that rats can spread weils disease in their urine.
Get them shot!!!!!
As a teen, I once swam across a river on a really hot day when I ran out of bank and got stuck on a walk, and couldn’t be bothered to go back in the heat. When I got home soaking and explained why, my Mum took me to the GP and demanded antibiotics for Weils Disease. Which weren’t given, what with me having no symptoms. But the shadow of Weils was long over our childhood. Did Darth Vader do a public information film about it, or was my mum a leetle bonkers?

Our air rifle has seized up. I’m almost at the point of getting it sorted if I can. But no rats came tonight...it’s gone from every night to every few nights. I’m hoping they just find somewhere more filling.

Andrew B

Reaction score
As a teen, I once swam across a river on a really hot day when I ran out of bank and got stuck on a walk, and couldn’t be bothered to go back in the heat. When I got home soaking and explained why, my Mum took me to the GP and demanded antibiotics for Weils Disease. Which weren’t given, what with me having no symptoms. But the shadow of Weils was long over our childhood. Did Darth Vader do a public information film about it, or was my mum a leetle bonkers?

Our air rifle has seized up. I’m almost at the point of getting it sorted if I can. But no rats came tonight...
Does anyone know how to pronounce Weils Disease?

Rennie

Reaction score
I got Roland and his family in my Garage.I've two vicious attack trained killer Westies and still the long tailed scurrying little beasties took up residence.They ate through the concrete floor into the garage- I know because we found the tunnels and all the chewed concrete and soil piled up.I take some of the blame myself, as at the time I still coarse fished and all the pellets and bags of ground bait acted like a homing bacon to them. They did quite a bit of damage to fishing gear and clothing stored in old wardrobes , coats, waders, boots etc.
So, we had to identify their daily routes and block them off, I used stainless steel wire meshing to block any gaps any where I could find.
Then one weekend, self and two sons and the Kray twins moved in on the garage, started to clear every thing out, soon got where there was no where left to hide and Archie and Dougal had a field day, if I recall it was 13 Rats.
The holes they'd dug into the garage were filled with poison, then a layer of wire wool ( they can't gnaw through that!), a layer of concrete, more wire wool and levelled off with concrete. The runs they'd used in an overgrown area next to my property were dosed with poison.
That worked and I untill this year had no bother with Roland. We saw the odd clue they were about again and the dogs knew, so we dosed the garage and checked for them once more, set Rat traps ( bigger and much stronger than traps for Mickey and Minnie ) and fixed them to the floor- very important as they're prone to be caught by the trap, and still make an escape!.
So we caught a single rat, but still re worked and doubled up on all the wire mesh.
All's quiet on the western front currently.
Take my advice, hit them hard and with everything you've got as soon as you possibly can, because they can be the very devil to get shut of if you don't.And spread the good word to your neighbours too!, all of you clobber them together, or they'll just return sooner rather than later.
Be carefull and meticulous with rubbish, bins and as your finding out bird food etc etc.
Dee, they won't go because you want them to go, much as that may well be the case. You'll have to sort the problem yourself and its easily doable. It's £50 a pop from the pest control guy at your local council, throw in damage that they will inevitably cause, then them getting in your house, incentive enough there I feel !
Best of luck, Pedro.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Dee, they won't go because you want them to go,
You sound like my husband. Yours were causing bother though. Mine are just existing. They can get in the garage easily - the wooden door is rotten, there are gaps at the bottom, plus gaps between the roof and the walls. But they're not in there. Merle sniffs where they run, she isn't fussed at all in the garage, and it's where the bird food is stored, in plastic tubs they could easily gnaw through if they chose. I struggle with killing things that aren't doing any harm.

My husband adds an ominous 'yet' to the end of that sentence.

He says he saw three at once a few days ago, but I think he's just trying to freak me into action. I've only ever seen a maximum of two, and not every day any more. It's always at the same time. I sit at my desk facing the garden all day and gaze a lot. Neighbours have seen them as well - next door but one has a huge aviary with chickens, rabbits and birds in it, and we reckon she is the beacon.

westie4566

Reaction score
I got Roland and his family in my Garage.I've two vicious attack trained killer Westies and still the long tailed scurrying little beasties took up residence.They ate through the concrete floor into the garage- I know because we found the tunnels and all the chewed concrete and soil piled up.I take some of the blame myself, as at the time I still coarse fished and all the pellets and bags of ground bait acted like a homing bacon to them. They did quite a bit of damage to fishing gear and clothing stored in old wardrobes , coats, waders, boots etc.
So, we had to identify their daily routes and block them off, I used stainless steel wire meshing to block any gaps any where I could find.
Then one weekend, self and two sons and the Kray twins moved in on the garage, started to clear every thing out, soon got where there was no where left to hide and Archie and Dougal had a field day, if I recall it was 13 Rats.
The holes they'd dug into the garage were filled with poison, then a layer of wire wool ( they can't gnaw through that!), a layer of concrete, more wire wool and levelled off with concrete. The runs they'd used in an overgrown area next to my property were dosed with poison.
That worked and I untill this year had no bother with Roland. We saw the odd clue they were about again and the dogs knew, so we dosed the garage and checked for them once more, set Rat traps ( bigger and much stronger than traps for Mickey and Minnie ) and fixed them to the floor- very important as they're prone to be caught by the trap, and still make an escape!.
So we caught a single rat, but still re worked and doubled up on all the wire mesh.
All's quiet on the western front currently.
Take my advice, hit them hard and with everything you've got as soon as you possibly can, because they can be the very devil to get shut of if you don't.And spread the good word to your neighbours too!, all of you clobber them together, or they'll just return sooner rather than later.
Be carefull and meticulous with rubbish, bins and as your finding out bird food etc etc.
Dee, they won't go because you want them to go, much as that may well be the case. You'll have to sort the problem yourself and its easily doable. It's £50 a pop from the pest control guy at your local council, throw in damage that they will inevitably cause, then them getting in your house, incentive enough there I feel !
Best of luck, Pedro.
My once wonderful but now drink addled neighbours are the source of my issues with Roland and his mates. They bitch and moan about rats, blame everyone else for the issue, but it's them and the bloody mess they leave as they 'must' feed the birds. They simple wont accept the fact they are providing a nice dinner for rats. Frankly at the point that I want to punch their thick, smug faces. :mad: :mad:

Popped one last week...it seems the time of year for them again.

Wee Maggie the BT is on high alert. She patrols the garden sniffing, tail uprite and quivering!!

Rrrr

Reaction score
My uncle had rats in his garage eating dry dog food that he insists on buying 5bags at a time.
One day he turned up at work with a lawnmower leaking fuel and looking abit sheepish.
Took us a while to get him to crack under interogation and tell us what had happend as he knew we would take the piss.
His plan to sort the rats was to park his vw camper opposite the open double garage door and conduct a stakeout.
He was sitting there with his air rifle on the camper table ready and fridge full of beer to keep himself entertained.
By the time the rat showed itself he was quite a few beers in and managed to miss the thing and shoot a nice neat hole in his brand new lawnmowers fuel tank

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Also as an apprentice pipefitter we had a rats nest under one of our shipping containers that we were tasked with sorting.
The plan involved taping the bottom of our overalls legs, shoving a plumbers smoke bomb down one hole and blocking it. We were to take turns at the other hole with a cricket bat and dispatch the runners.
We got the numbers thinned down quite a bit but there was still the odd one about. One of the ood guys we worked with suggested we drag the old deisel mosa welder around and gas the rest.
We rigged up the exhaust with various bits of pipe and fittings we had and sealed off the other holes and let the welder run for a few hours. That seemed to take care of them and kept us out of trouble all day.

budge

Reaction score
Just last week my Mrs was stood watching a cute little "squirrel " sat on our neighbours fence eating nuts from the bird feeder. I thought it was on the small side but it wasn't till it climbed down and I saw the tail that I realised it was Roland

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

keirstream

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to a beautiful sun filled morning, had breakfast and took the dog out.
Nothing unusual in that?
But wait-----somethings not right as I closed the front door behind me, I could sense it.
I turned and looked on the front grass and there it was, a dead body.--------Decapitated.:eek:
Straight on the phone to Inspector Taggart who asked, "hus thur been annurra murrder, Surrr?
Yes, I said, and sent him the photos.
"Hmmmm, looks like the wurk o a fox!!!" says he, "Whit dae you think, Jardine?
"Could be a cat Sir"
"Well, if it is, it must hae a heid the size o a 50 bob cabbage, ya eejit!"
"I think it's wan o rey kapybara rat things that did it Sir, you know, rey big wans that live oot Saffy's back gairden?
Here's a photy, Sir" pipes up DS Reid.
Capybara.jpg
"Jackie, awa and bile yer heid ya daft lassie ye, whit dae you ken?
Awa and dae sumthin useful, make me and the Super a cup of coffee"
"Sur, annurra murrderr fur ye, whit dae you think aboot it?
McVittie sighs, leans back in his chair, takes a sip of the coffee, spits it out immediately.
"Jackie, you know I don't take sugar!!"
"Sorry Sir, I'll make another one for you with a wee whisky in it for you."
"Make mines a double, hen", growls Taggart.
"Noo, whit wur we talkin aboot, Sur??

Attachments

• Rabbit1.jpg
    Rabbit1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Rabbit.jpg
    Rabbit.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 42

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
...Yes, I said, and sent him the photos.
"Hmmmm, looks like the wurk o a fox!!!" says he, "Whit dae you think, Jardine?
"Could be a cat Sir"
"Well, if it is, it must hae a heid the size o a 50 bob cabbage, ya eejit!"
"I think it's wan o rey kapybara rat things that did it Sir, you know, rey big wans that live oot Saffy's back gairden?
Here's a photy, Sir" pipes up DS Reid.
View attachment 59892

I love capybara...

They taste lovely :D:):D:)

Seriously, common as stink where I used to work, and easy to shoot.

PS - did you try mouth to mouth, looks like it needs it...

barbonboy

Reaction score
Also as an apprentice pipefitter we had a rats nest under one of our shipping containers that we were tasked with sorting.
The plan involved taping the bottom of our overalls legs, shoving a plumbers smoke bomb down one hole and blocking it. We were to take turns at the other hole with a cricket bat and dispatch the runners.
We got the numbers thinned down quite a bit but there was still the odd one about. One of the ood guys we worked with suggested we drag the old deisel mosa welder around and gas the rest.
We rigged up the exhaust with various bits of pipe and fittings we had and sealed off the other holes and let the welder run for a few hours. That seemed to take care of them and kept us out of trouble all day.

Absolutely brilliant 🤣🤣🤣🤣

happy days

Reaction score
Having recently just dealt with a rat problem in a factory I recommend Pest expert formula B+ available on line.
The stuff in the hardware shops isn’t worth a blow on the rag mans 🤨

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Having recently just dealt with a rat problem in a factory I recommend Pest expert formula B+ available on line.
The stuff in the hardware shops isn’t worth a blow on the rag mans 🤨
I’ve solved the problem around the pond and the base of the bird table by sprinkling sawdust from the cat litter tray around it. This, I feel, is natural genius. I use the wood pellet type litter in my trays that dusts down when it’s wet. Trowelling that wet dust under the bushes adjacent to the pond (and clearing out and dismantling an old wood store) has stopped them dead up this end of the garden.

But a rat the size of Keirstream’s capybara ran across the garden this morning. Well. I might be exaggerating a bit. But CHRIST it was big. They’re running across from a nest somewhere to the right of my back garden, to a house with chickens to the left. She’s the one that needs to stop inadvertently feeding them now. They won’t stop in my garden any more (hopefully) - it’s a run. I’m going to try cat litter at the perimeter... but while I’m happy to chuck it under bushes, I’m less keen in visible areas. Seth was quite keen to shoot the big fella this morning. I think he’d keep coming, like the terminator...

happy days

Reaction score
I’ve solved the problem around the pond and the base of the bird table by sprinkling sawdust from the cat litter tray around it. This, I feel, is natural genius. I use the wood pellet type litter in my trays that dusts down when it’s wet. Trowelling that wet dust under the bushes adjacent to the pond (and clearing out and dismantling an old wood store) has stopped them dead up this end of the garden.

But a rat the size of Keirstream’s capybara ran across the garden this morning. Well. I might be exaggerating a bit. But CHRIST it was big. They’re running across from a nest somewhere to the right of my back garden, to a house with chickens to the left. She’s the one that needs to stop inadvertently feeding them now. They won’t stop in my garden any more (hopefully) - it’s a run. I’m going to try cat litter at the perimeter... but while I’m happy to chuck it under bushes, I’m less keen in visible areas. Seth was quite keen to shoot the big fella this morning. I think he’d keep coming, like the terminator...
As a youth I used to hunt rats using terriers and ferrets with a passion, the most effective way of dealing with them is poison and the one I suggested above,just make water available next to it and keep repleneshing bait trays until they stop taking it, don’t waste your money on hardware shop poison.

Bothy Cat

Reaction score
Spending a lot of time in the garden recently amongst the bird song which is great to hear at this time of year. There's one bird that often sits at the top of a tree singing away and although I like to think I know my birds quite well I'm struggling to identify this one. Willow Warbler maybe, feel sure someone will know immediately.

Last edited: