The Close Season What You Doing Today Thread?

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
A coal tit! We have 6 eggs now. She’s a really friendly chatty soul. Used to be very skittish and would fly away as soon as we opened the back door. Now she is happy to be within 4 or so metres of us outdoors if we move slowly and keep our voices down, and she chatters and chirps away.

View attachment 59724
Are you sure? Great tit in my book, even with poor pix. Green vs. brown back etc give the game away...

(the eggs of coalies are also less heavily spotted, says the reformed nester)

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Are you sure? Great tit in my book, even with poor pix. Green vs. brown back etc give the game away...

I think so - she has a white stripe on the back of her head, and isn’t very colourful at all. Plus I asked a birdy friend... I only have blue tits and her in my garden though - no great tits to compare to (unless of course she and her partner are...). The calls seem coal titty too. As well as the ‘tee-CHA!’, they have more vocalisations, which I thought was a coal tit thing. And there’s only those two - I thought great tits were more social. Here’s a picture of her back:

87E1C894-E1A6-43AF-9B82-1D0D39957518.jpeg

keirstream

Reaction score

As Frank MacAvennie would say;
Whaurs ra burds???? :D
Anyway, back to some guid auld Scots dialect.
Nesters were called Herry Hawks up here.(y)

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Even more convincing great tit now, back green not brown (remember colours not great on the cam) and lack of long white nape strike.

Yellow belly with big black line when it comes out of the box?
This isn’t you. It’s me. God knows why my phone says it’s you but I can’t mend it or be bothered to start again:
Are there any other sorts of tits she could be? She really doesn’t have a yellow belly, or that stripe down the middle (I have just been obsessively googling). But her stomach isn’t coal tit buff either. She looks fairly black and white, in real life and on my camera. It isn’t distorting too much (I’m exaggerating the point, but...). I see why you say not coal tit - but I can’t make her or her partner be great tits either. Definitely no green or yellow hues in her.

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
when you edit, click the [ ] symbol in the top RHS next to the "save", and then you can edit out my name...

No other alternatives, sorry. Breast is dull out of season, brighter yellow when breeding. Black stripe all way down the middle is the kicker.

Bird in the hand much better than on a cam (I used to ring 'em too!)

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Willow tit? It IS a willow tree, the box is on... she seems less fluffy somehow but that might be the photos I’m looking at online. She’s that colour palette, anyway.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
when you edit, click the [ ] symbol in the top RHS next to the "save", and then you can edit out my name...

No other alternatives, sorry. Brest is dull out of season, brighter yellow when breeding. Black stripe all way down the middle is the kicker.

Bird in the hand much better than on a cam (I used to ring 'em too!)
I’ll try and get a photo of her with my phone. She’s so so fast though.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Willows have a long black cap, and more like a coalie (brown back) than a great, which is also, er. bigger than all the UK tits.
She’s smaller than most of my sparrows. About the size of a blue tit. I am on solid ground with blue tits. I’ll look for the stripe when it stops snowing/raining and she’s flitting about again. She doesn’t in all honesty look like the willow tits I just looked at. Or Marsh. But definitely a subdued colour palette like theirs. Maybe she’s just a Done With All Of This Great Tit. Fed up of meeting society’s expectations. Sod your yellow and green. And if you think I can be bothered with a blue flash on my wing you can stick that, too. I have sympathy with this.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I think so - she has a white stripe on the back of her head, and isn’t very colourful at all. Plus I asked a birdy friend... I only have blue tits and her in my garden though - no great tits to compare to (unless of course she and her partner are...). The calls seem coal titty too. As well as the ‘tee-CHA!’, they have more vocalisations, which I thought was a coal tit thing. And there’s only those two - I thought great tits were more social. Here’s a picture of her back:

View attachment 59746

Have to agree with Seeking, it looks like a Great tit to me too. Coal tits have a white stripe down the back of their head.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Have to agree with Seeking, it looks like a Great tit to me too. Coal tits have a white stripe down the back of their head.

Probably right. She has a white stripe but going across her head. Not as vertically defined as pics of coal tits. I’d put money on no stripe on her chest though. The snow is snowier here now though (what IS this weather doing?! This was not foretold...) so I can’t see her.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Probably right. She has a white stripe but going across her head. Not as vertically defined as pics of coal tits. I’d put money on no stripe on her chest though. The snow is snowier here now though (what IS this weather doing?! This was not foretold...) so I can’t see her.

The weather is all over the place here too. Must be very confusing for the birds thinking of nesting. I have a pair of Great tits prospecting the box they nested in last year but no sign of any nest building yet.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Got mixed up and turned up at a trout fishery over an hour early this morning so sitting watching a barn owl do its thing from the car. Guessing it should be in bed by now.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Safranfoer

Reaction score
seeking was right - my bird is a great tit. I'm still maintaining that she's a goth, as she just has no colour to her - but she does have a very clear chest stripe. Thanks for the bird ID!

Andrew B

Reaction score

View attachment 59746
Lol I’d be tempted to by some maggots as I can’t see there being enough food yet with this weather

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Lol I’d be tempted to by some maggots as I can’t see there being enough food yet with this weather
I'm having to balance feeding the birds with not feeding the rats that are entering my garden in increasing number. I stopped ground feeding weeks ago, but discovered they can shimmy up the pole to my feeders like it's a handy ladder, so now the flat feeder has gone too. Husband is twitchy and considering napalm, I'm trying to hold my nerve and just rearrange the garden regularly, collect spilled food from the feeders and I go out and scare them and move things more whenever I see them, in the hope they move on - rats hate change in their territory. So far we've only ever seen two at once, usually one, and only ever at dusk - but I'm not adding more treats for them...

And have just seen a definite coal tit on my fence, so I'm not going totally mad.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
I'm having to balance feeding the birds with not feeding the rats that are entering my garden in increasing number. I stopped ground feeding weeks ago, but discovered they can shimmy up the pole to my feeders like it's a handy ladder, so now the flat feeder has gone too. Husband is twitchy and considering napalm, I'm trying to hold my nerve and just rearrange the garden regularly, collect spilled food from the feeders and I go out and scare them and move things more whenever I see them, in the hope they move on - rats hate change in their territory. So far we've only ever seen two at once, usually one, and only ever at dusk - but I'm not adding more treats for them...

And have just seen a definite coal tit on my fence, so I'm not going totally mad.
Oh do be careful San as no amount of Fed birds is worth risking rats and I say this with some recent experience lol.
Last year through lockdown I helped convert a building in my aunties garden into a nail studio for her business.
As we opened the loft up, the place was full of rat poop and nests at which point my uncle went into trapping mode.

This is the building we used to house my Grandma (more of that story later🙁) anyway it became apparent there were still rats scurrying about which came to a head one day when my aunt found a dead one in her house😲

Thing is I though I’d made it clear time ago about leaving bread out ect on the lawn for the birds? But obviously my advice wasn’t heeded as I went on and found the same scraps being left out. There had also been drainage issues from some building up the road and the rats were having a field day.
Anyway long story I know but from stopping the silly feeding of scraps that day, they’ve finally gotten rid. There’s nothing wrong in keeping the bird feeders though.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Oh do be careful San as no amount of Fed birds is worth risking rats and I say this with some recent experience lol.
Last year through lockdown I helped convert a building in my aunties garden into a nail studio for her business.
As we opened the loft up, the place was full of rat poop and nests at which point my uncle went into trapping mode.

This is the building we used to house my Grandma (more of that story later🙁) anyway it became apparent there were still rats scurrying about which came to a head one day when my aunt found a dead one in her house😲

Thing is I though I’d made it clear time ago about leaving bread out ect on the lawn for the birds? But obviously my advice wasn’t heeded as I went on and found the same scraps being left out. There had also been drainage issues from some building up the road and the rats were having a field day.
Anyway long story I know but from stopping the silly feeding of scraps that day, they’ve finally gotten rid. There’s nothing wrong in keeping the bird feeders though.
I have some low stumps in the garden underneath a tree, and like a stupid fool I'd been putting stuff on them for the blackbirds and robins. Full on buffet.

Then I saw the first rat and kicked myself. Haven't put food near the ground since mid-February, but the little sods started climbing the pole up to the flat bit of my bird table. It's impressive. I actually quite like them. It's nice seeing wildlife, they aren't hurting anything, they're not in the garage or greenhouse or house or camping store... I moved into a house surrounded by fields. I can hardly whinge when my neighbours move in.

But also. There are rats in my garden. And my husband will def. leave me if I don't discourage them. When he was travelling, he stayed in many places infested with rats and cockroaches, and they were bold and destructive. He does not view them with the same fond fascination.

I have three feeders with a tray beneath now - one mealworm, one suet pellets, one mixed seed. I've taken the others down. I have a decent ground clear up crew in the two wood pigeons that hang out in my garden. I feel sad for them though as the flat feeder was theirs. Admittedly they don't look like they've ever known a day's hunger in their lives - they do NOT need me to feed them - but I liked watching them womble about and now they're not here nearly as often.

I'm glad you managed to get rid just by stopping feeding scraps. I'm hoping I have similar success here now there's no point climbing the bird table. I'd shoot them or get a terrier in, but not poison, and I'd rather not do any of it.