The Champion 2/0

Fruin

Reaction score
One of my favourite classics but I am still struggling to get the wing correct on this one; it is very difficult!
My second attempt at it om a 2/0 reworked hook...
20210929_134629.jpg

Fruin

Reaction score
stunning fly beautifully tied,Amherst pheasant is a real pain to marry and sit right
Thanks. Yeah, amherst and GP tail are always hit or miss. In this fly they are supposed to be married in between teal to veil the wood duck underwing. Much swearing ensued and I still never mastered it. I think it must be one of the most difficult wings out of all the classics!

Andrew B

Reaction score
Lol you nutter😂 Having been into tying classics myself I know how we are our own worst critics but come on Fruin man, that wing is so beautiful and Bob on I’m having trouble in seeing the faults that you see?
Wilkinson shrimps comment about Amherst and GP is so true of course esp when using the type of materials we can only get now.
When I was tying, those large Amgold tails were all the rage as was large Amherst, which were fine for large flies ect.
It’s only when I got into finding and buying antique fly tying sets by Farlows and my most famous find, the Violet Fane/ Kelson fly tying chest and materials that I realised the difference in quality.
Proper Golden Pheasants and maybe even Amherst don’t exist anymore as they’ve been over bred but the GP tails they used then were actually nice to use a marry and the crests weren’t golden as such but more pale with fiery red tips.
When classic tying was brought back particularly in America, whilst those 4/0 married wings had a certain look imo they failed to realise that many of the patterns that had parrot and other short materials in them, generally meant small flies and rolled/ mixed wings as this Champion shows perfectly.

Last edited: