The BIRDS

SOS

Reaction score
The vast majority of the birds i get in my garden are Sparrows and Starlings and a squadron of Jackdaws, there are also robins,blue, coal and great tits a few Blackbirds a pair of chaffies and the odd wren.
But i do live on the site of an old mental hospital with a few of the old buildings still there so there are lots of nesting places for the Sparrows, Starlings and Jackdaws.

Whereas my last house was a country cottage although it was as the crow flys only about a mile from a busy built up area there were no Sparrows (except a couple of tree sparrows) or Starlings, but loads of tits, Finches and woodpeckers as well as quite a few other visitors.

keirstream

Reaction score
I've got no songbirds left in my garden. The corvids, gulls and magpies have seen to that.:(
The racing doo pals that I have now lose way more birds in a race than they did 10 years ago.
They put it down to the almost blanket cell phone mast coverage affecting the earths magnetic forces.
We are all doomed and 5G isn't even totally rolled out.:eek::eek:

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
One visitor to my bird table last week, was a bit unexpected, for this time of year. A female blackcap. We get a pair appear in the spring and they nest in the woodland behind my house but they normally migrate for the winter. I have read however, that some have been overwintering in England in recent years but I had not heard of any staying on in Scotland before. I am sure it will now be regretting it’s decision given the freezing conditions recently.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I'm short of chaffinches as well.
Most years there is a flock of 80 to 100, with a few bramblings and a few yellow hammers.
This year I only have 20 to 40.
No bramblings and no yellow hammers.
Last year there was the odd diseased chaffinch, so I stopped feeding.
Wow yellow hammers that’s a really cool bird to have, as are Bramblings.
Hope the chaffinches aren’t going the same way as the greenfinch?
One bird we never saw was the nuthatch but they seem to have boomed.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I've got no songbirds left in my garden. The corvids, gulls and magpies have seen to that.:(
The racing doo pals that I have now lose way more birds in a race than they did 10 years ago.
They put it down to the almost blanket cell phone mast coverage affecting the earths magnetic forces.

Wonder what creepy Chris Packham thinks about this, when he’s not thinking about perverted innuendos?

GN

Reaction score
I put out nest boxes each year and get mostly tits nesting in them. However, last year I had a dormouse hibernating in one

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28

Maggy

Reaction score
I’ve been wondering when seagulls near me would take up songbird predation but I’ve seen no sign of it. They seem stuck on tapping the ground for earthworms so far. Can you describe it please ? E.G. presumably it’s upon the fledglings.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Wonder what creepy Chris Packham thinks about this, when he’s not thinking about perverted innuendos?
I was aghast on the weekend when a radio 5 presenter was fawning over packman, even going so far as to tout him as David Attenborough's heir apparent.
I find packman a devisive character. No doubt he wants to do his best for wildlife, but is very blinkered in his approach.

keirstream

Reaction score
I’ve been wondering when seagulls near me would take up songbird predation but I’ve seen no sign of it. They seem stuck on tapping the ground for earthworms so far. Can you describe it please ? E.G. presumably it’s upon the fledglings.
No, they were happier pillaging the eggs.
Nothing left to lay in a nest now far less have the fledglings predated on.:(

mows

Reaction score
Magpie got nearly all the nests in my garden and woods. And what they didn't get, the woodpeckers and squirrels did.