The best rod range ever made.....

lax0341

Reaction score
For me the Powell Light Touch IM6 rods are the best series of rods ever built worldwide.
But I like also the Hardy Gem made in England ( Mk1 ) range.

Last edited:

Scierra

Reaction score
Scierra Ti 12ft 9" 4 piece
Scierra Chrome 12ft 9" "
Scierra Surge 12ft 9" 5 piece
Shakespear 8/9 Switch 4 piece
Vision Tool 15 ft 4 piece

All rods above are streets ahead of Bruce and Walker & Daiwa rods I previously owned

D

Deleted member 21851

Not really a rod range but the guy at Blue Teal Tackle Shop used to make some cracking rods in my youth.
I had a blue teal hand built 10ft 10" carbon kevlar rod which was an absolute beast until my eedjit brother snapped off the top 6 inch while casting a reservoir lure at Tunstall. I've never forgiven him and he's never touched another rod of mine in the last 30 years.
I got a new tip blank from the guy at Blue Teal (I wish I remembered his name) but bought another 10ft 10in carbon fibre rod without kevlar at the same time over 25 years ago which is still my favourite rod. It has full ceramic rings closely spaced all the way up the rod and that rod will shoot any line off into the distance, like he assured me it would. I doubted him at first as I thought there were too many rings but first time I tried it in the field next to the shop,,,,,wow. Bought it on the spot.

I didn't fully realise why the extra number of full rings made a difference until I bought a Hardy rod a few years ago with snake rings and when the rod and line are wet, the line would stick to the rod as there is nothing to keep the line from lying along the rod and "sticking to the rod".

Anyhow, the rods aren't branded but that guy really knew his stuff. Its a shame he stopped building rods but the shop is still open for shooting gear etc.

So I'm going for Blue Teal rods.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Don’t understand the negative posts on the 14’ Cross, it was a very nice rod indeed, cast floating and sinking lines with ease and casts were straight (well most times), rod also had a lovely feel, for me it was pushed into second place by the 12’, for me the best of that range.
now of course it has to be SL a bit biased of course but I’ve been using them exclusively for 6 years now and can’t see past them, they are a delight to fish with. It’s horses for courses though and it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things 😀🎣

Fly-Only

Reaction score
It’s the LPXe for me

I have the 14ft in 3 piece and 4 piece and definitely think the 3 piece is smoother casting and l also have a 15ft 4 piece

Both rods are paired up with the original Guideline 3D lines that were designed for them

I agree with Pete (Rennie) in saying these are shooting head rods only

Each year new “must have“ rods have tempted me but I can’t fault the ones I have

My go to rod for 90% is the 14ft 3 piece #9/10, this year I am going to get my mate Old Kipper to set up his NT8 13’ 9” 9/10 with the newer 3D+ lines and compare them casting

Derek

Ypres

Reaction score
Gotta mention the orvis western mind you, mate has the western 2 In 10ft 7wt and wow what a dream to cast, a touch heavy but man what a rod....heard the 3 is even better 👏
I have had an Orvis Western 3 for at least six years and love it. Every now and then I feel I must get a new rod but when I try the latest ‘must have’ rod I remain unconvinced and leave my money in my wallet. Which for a Fifer is a win win situation.

rodbender

Reaction score
I have owned many rods and went back to an Oracle skagit 12'9" 9# brilliant with a Rio Scandi SSVT ! the best trout rod I have owned is a Jensen spook seatrout 9' 7# as good if not better than the XP I.M.HO.

Scierra

Reaction score
Not really a rod range but the guy at Blue Teal Tackle Shop used to make some cracking rods in my youth.
I had a blue teal hand built 10ft 10" carbon kevlar rod which was an absolute beast until my eedjit brother snapped off the top 6 inch while casting a reservoir lure at Tunstall. I've never forgiven him and he's never touched another rod of mine in the last 30 years.
I got a new tip blank from the guy at Blue Teal (I wish I remembered his name) but bought another 10ft 10in carbon fibre rod without kevlar at the same time over 25 years ago which is still my favourite rod. It has full ceramic rings closely spaced all the way up the rod and that rod will shoot any line off into the distance, like he assured me it would. I doubted him at first as I thought there were too many rings but first time I tried it in the field next to the shop,,,,,wow. Bought it on the spot.

I didn't fully realise why the extra number of full rings made a difference until I bought a Hardy rod a few years ago with snake rings and when the rod and line are wet, the line would stick to the rod as there is nothing to keep the line from lying along the rod and "sticking to the rod".

Anyhow, the rods aren't branded but that guy really knew his stuff. Its a shame he stopped building rods but the shop is still open for shooting gear etc.

So I'm going for Blue Teal rods.
Davy Dodds Blue Teal, (y) Top man can set his hand to anything

Last edited:

onelastcast

Reaction score
bruce and walker Norway range for me,stood the test of time and will cast anything from heads to long bellies and a british company -i own other makes of rods also and enjoy them all but as a range of rods to me if i could only have one it would be the norway for me,onelastcast

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
1627830264227.jpeg

DCH

D

Deleted member 21851

Never. Probably because he doesn't look like the elephant man.

Edit. Just seen it is a different Davie Dodds.

Last edited by a moderator: