The best flat mylar?

Woodsy

Reaction score
I have quite a few brands of mylar and the most commonly used is the 2 tone uni.

The problem with most of my mylar is that it is so stuff, even with a very flat body the mylar slips at the end coming to the head. It doesn't mould the body at all.

I absolutely hate flat tinsel bodies for this reason 🤦

I have two mylar spools that's actually stretch a little and hug the shank a lot better, basically almost impossible for it to slip. One has no label and is copper, the other is mirage UTC . I don't mean stretch the mylar to get a different colour, just that it forms around any shape.

Does anyone know any brands that do this? I've also started to use flat braid the past few months which is fantastic but doesn't give the same effect.

SnapT14

Reaction score
Hi Woodsy.

Semperli flat tinsel is a country mile better than any other. Only problem is they only do it in gold and silver. It almost stretches leaving a seamless body and as it stretches it doesn't lose colour or distort.

I think its only £3 a spool too. If i was yiu I'd go for the large and not medium as its so easy to work with you can get away with it.

Do you still have that skin ? Sorry I've not got back to you.....

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I have quite a few brands of mylar and the most commonly used is the 2 tone uni.

The problem with most of my mylar is that it is so stuff, even with a very flat body the mylar slips at the end coming to the head. It doesn't mould the body at all.

I have two mylar spools that's actually stretch a little and hug the shank a lot better, basically almost impossible for it to slip. One has no label and is copper, the other is mirage UTC . I don't mean stretch the mylar to get a different colour, just that it forms around any shape.

Does anyone know any brands that do this? I've also started to use flat braid the past few months which is fantastic but doesn't give the same effect.
I know what you mean woodsy. I normally smear a bit of super glue on the back of the tinsel for anything that has a slight profile to it - flat i'm ok with. Mylar UTC is the best I've got - I like essential fly but their two tone or single tone is terrible - the coating comes off so easily. You can get away with a little stretch on UNI but not too much unless you are heading to a tie off point where you know it'll get hidden by the hackle.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I like UTC and Uni Mylar but theres 2 things helped get an even body when using it.

1. Be careful how much material you use for your tail. this can bulk the body out and create a big step at the end that everything slips off when trying to tie in. I like to tie my tails in layers cutting and securing each one separately tapering the cut ends with the top one just shorter than the last along the shank. Keeps everything in a point on the shank.

2. Put down a thin coat of superglue onto the body area before winding on the Mylar. Not a lot, literally half a pin head will be enough. Let it go tacky for about 30 seconds then wind the Mylar on and it should stick and not slip

As for braid.. I've tried a few but I'm buying Loop at the moment. Good range of colours and it's a nice thin braid that doesn't leave too much bulk tying off.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Thanks lads, I do exactly that. Always a wee drop of superglue and then wrap on top. I also varnish on drop and harden to ensure it really doesn't slip.

It's usually fine until tying off due to the drop in thickness. I could keep the body the same thickness to head but then I risk a massive head.

This one that I use that stretches well is part of a old multipack but God knows where from, maybe from lureflash back in the day.

wormo

Reaction score

hi Woodsy as snap t says semperfli as it's soft
or look to China, plenty cheapness Ali ex
In my opinion the 2 tone is crap too stiff not good to work with
if I can find a link to China I'll post it

Woodsy

Reaction score
Hi Woodsy.

Semperli flat tinsel is a country mile better than any other. Only problem is they only do it in gold and silver. It almost stretches leaving a seamless body and as it stretches it doesn't lose colour or distort.

I think its only £3 a spool too. If i was yiu I'd go for the large and not medium as its so easy to work with you can get away with it.

Do you still have that skin ? Sorry I've not got back to you.....
Missed this last night while looking on my phone, thanks for the recommendation.

The skin is still here, sent a wee video through for you to check the quality. Let me know 👍

Woodsy

Reaction score
hi Woodsy as snap t says semperfli as it's soft
or look to China, plenty cheapness Ali ex
In my opinion the 2 tone is crap too stiff not good to work with
if I can find a link to China I'll post it
Thanks Wormo 👍never needs Ali express but i've seen bargains for beads and tubes