TFS Skittle tube SBS.

stew1

Reaction score
This is the first time that I have tied on a TFS Skittle tube, and thought an SBS would be a good idea.Possibly way off the mark of the original tying idea,but I just thought of movement straight with the shape of the Skittle.
Maybe a Foxy team member could give more info on how to tie on the Skittle. :D

Thanks Sue.;)

Well here goes.

Lined the TFS Skittle with a black TFS liner.Melted the end and inserted from the back of the tube leaving about an inch to the front .

Started with white thread to build up out of the grooves of the tube,which I think might be wrong,then added a hot orange hen hackle.

Tied it off and decided to go over the white thread with hot orange thread with two coats of varnish.

Tied in the hot orange thread again on the plastic tubing.

Tied in another hot orange hen hackle.

After this was tied in I gave the hen hackles a brush towards the back of the tube to separate any trapped hackles.

Then added some blue Schlappen with only two turns,as three were far too much for the colour of the fly.

With the blue.

Then added some hot orange artic fox and a bit of flash to each side.

Then some orange H2O tied on in two lengths.First length is kept to the length of the fox, and the second tied over the top.

Second one tied over.

Then some Pro fox tied in forwards.

Watched Hackan Norling splitting his wing in his original Templedog tying on youtube and copied this.Apparently it gives more movement.

Tied the other part of the wing back and added some JC and finished off.

I then cut the tubing about 2mm away from the head and melted back slightly with a lighter as you would when attaching a cone or the likes.This I feel gives the head a better hold but that is only my opinion.

The finished fly folks.

Greatwhite

Reaction score
Nicely done sbs but really like the fly very like the one I posted in the shrimp section tied on a double the colours combine very well ;)

Bucktail Bob

Banned
Reaction score
Nicely done sbs there peter, i like the tfs tubing but haven't tied much on them yet , i like this fly it looks well fishy to me and very well tied as usual mate.

stew1

Reaction score
To be honest Dexter,I tried with floss and it was way far too fidgety.Trying to finish it was a nightmare so I took the easy route and cut it off and tied in the hackle.Looking at it now I do not think it needs it.
Painting is an option as well but again far too fidgety.

stew1

Reaction score
Nicely done sbs there peter, i like the tfs tubing but haven't tied much on them yet , i like this fly it looks well fishy to me and very well tied as usual mate.

Cheers BB.
They are new to me too but,I could not find a tying description in the search
engine so thought I would give it a go anyway.

stew1

Reaction score
None whatsoever JS.
I use the HMH tool for every type of tube that I tie.Plastic,copper,Aliuminium and brass,they do not budge when the clamp tightens.;)
The plastic tubes have to be slightly longer where it is clamped to the tool,and then the clamped piece cut off.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
None whatsoever JS.
I use the HMH tool for every type of tube that I tie.Plastic,copper,Aliuminium and brass,they do not budge when the clamp tightens.;)
The plastic tubes have to be slightly longer where it is clamped to the tool,and then the clamped piece cut off.

Ah right. I was using my home made holder and just has the end of the brass tube held by the vice. The inner tube was turning then as I was winding on.

That makes sense now. Should have had a needle in too! :eek:

gwelsher

Reaction score
Great stuff Peter and thanks for taking the time to do this
To be honest Dexter,I tried with floss and it was way far too fidgety.Trying to finish it was a nightmare so I took the easy route and cut it off and tied in the hackle.Looking at it now I do not think it needs it.
Painting is an option as well but again far too fidgety.

I do the grooves with Uni 1/0 Neon or Glo Brite and superglue the thread before winding the last couple of turn before cutting off and a coat of varnish. You can also wind a hackle in the groove, KGM and myself did some shrimpy things with this a couple of months ago.

That is a great tip I have always struggled with that and now I have the Eureka moment.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Funny I could tie a fully dressed Jock Scott with little problems but these tube flies I found them to be a pain in the backside to make.
Think I’d want some eye protection and maybe a motorcycle helmet when fishing with this😉