Test Result!

sneakypeter

Reaction score
One of those all too rare days today for me, 4 fish landed, 10.5lb, 11lb, 11.5lb, and 14lb, all brand new bars of silver, one lost after a few seconds. Just a great days fishing, walked and fished miles, nice sunny day, shame about the rain that moved in , but that's UK weather for you! The Test is a tad low, so a bit of rain won,t go amiss, can,t wait for next week!
peter

sneakypeter

Reaction score
No nymphs this time, a return to the darkside, prawns, or more precisely purple prawns. No apologies for offending any fly only purists, but masses of drifting weed put paid to fly fishing! Saw a few fish jumping, but only between 2 & 4pm, other signs of moving fish too, all good stuff.
Couldn,t wait until next week, so booked a beat on the Itchen tomorrow, looking forward to that, a change of scenery.
peter

gotoneon

Reaction score
No nymphs this time, a return to the darkside, prawns, or more precisely purple prawns. No apologies for offending any fly only purists, but masses of drifting weed put paid to fly fishing! Saw a few fish jumping, but only between 2 & 4pm, other signs of moving fish too, all good stuff.
Couldn,t wait until next week, so booked a beat on the Itchen tomorrow, looking forward to that, a change of scenery.
peter

"Give me the moonlight. . . . . . . . .give me the girl!"

Well done Sneaky ya sneaky ye.:cool: Jammy git right enough I've no fished the Frankie fur donkeys.:(:(:(

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Well the good luck sort of carried on today, a 6lb grilse, nice to get him, but it was tough going. A stretch I used to fish a lot, a pale shadow of its formerly, pristine self. Murky water, virtually no weed beds, all been destroyed by the floods of last year. In river structures all broken up or completely gone, river very low, just not what I remember, dire would sum it up quite well. Needs a major groyne rebuilding programme at the very least, coupled with some serious water management, reduced abstraction etc. Big issues no doubt, but the manmade in river structures are an essential part of the fishery, for a premium price, anglers are getting a poor return! Gripe over.
peter

Irish Monkey

Reaction score
Wow,
What a day it must have been for you. Many people don't catch so many on a put and take Stillwater.

A day to remember!

Aled

Reaction score
Well done sneakypeter.
I'm fishing the upper Test for trout later this week. I've got a day or two to tie a few more trout flies. Any suggestions much appreciated? Red Sedge worked well for us 2 years ago.
Tight Lines
Aled

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Aled, sorry, can,t be much help on fly choice for the upper Test. I catch loads of trout, but they are all stockies, they take anything at times, as long as it moves, more of a pest whilst trying to find salmon, bit of fun, but not something I take seriously, talk to the keeper, he will know.
peter

Aled

Reaction score
Olive Nymphs cast in front of fish saw us all take a fish or two. River was rather coloured unfortunately. 3 of the fish caught were rainbows. I thought they were no longer stocked in the Test? However it did mean i could kill a couple of fish with a clear conscience! :D
Brother returned a cracking brown around 4lb.
Tight Lines
Aled

sneakypeter

Reaction score
The lower river fisheries stock brownies only(testwood,Broadlands), beautiful fish, but just stockies, some big fish too, I,ve caught 4, 6lb+ fish this year, one of those was on a mayfly and a 3lb tippet! Fun, but not much different to fishing for lake stockies. I thought the stocking of bows was being stopped, but obviously not?
peter

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Parsonage.
Tight lines
Aled

Aled, that is Lower Test and a lot of those beats stock browns and rainbows. When I used to fish Broadlands regularly when John Dennis was keeper there were a fair few rainbows around and John would regularly chuck a few in when a particular rod was due down to keep him entertained! Compton, below Kings Somborne certainly do as I am lucky enough to fish it a few times a year. A fin perfect 3 or 4 pounder in that fast current is as sporting a fish that you will catch on that entire river.

Aled

Reaction score
Ah yes, just re-read my first post, i thought i was fishing the upper Test initially but was pleasantly surprised to find myself on the lower river. (My brother is a good chap!)
Not particularly worried about the rainbows per say, as i said the hunter gatherer side of me was quite happy, nobody can complain about an angler taking a stocked rainbow trout! They put up a good fight on 4 wt rods, all were between 21/2 and 3lb. I hope they had been in for a while and feeding naturally as i quite like the idea of a river grown on rainbow.
Thanks for the responses guys. :D
Tight Lines
Aled

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
too much of this elitism about wild fish - sneering at people who fish stocked waters.

which is the harder to catch a wee grilse straight off the tide or a big Arctic Char that's been in gin clear water for six weeks and seen every fly in the book several times over?

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
too much of this elitism about wild fish - sneering at people who fish stocked waters.

which is the harder to catch a wee grilse straight off the tide or a big Arctic Char that's been in gin clear water for six weeks and seen every fly in the book several times over?

Compy, did you mean to post the above rant in your "Arctic Char" thread?

I haven't seen any "sneering" in this thread at all?:confused:

In response to your question I would say "What is an Arctic Char actually doing in a stew pond in Hampshire in the middle of a heatwave?"

It is all subjective. You may feel that to catch that fish which has been held captive in an alien environment and has been subjected to constant daily harrasment from desperate anglers going "through the book" brings greater personal satisfaction and a higher level of piscatorial achievement than the man who, having stayed off the river all day as the sun blazed down, has now picked up his single handed rod which he has tied with a size 12 silver stoats tail and wandered down the brae to the little highland stream as the sun starts to dip behind the hill. Swallows are darting and dipping above him and as he reaches the boulder strewn banks and surveys the shrunken stream he waits as a roe deer and its fawn cross the river before him. Quietly he draws line from the reel and casts to the neck of the pool. Methodically and skilfully he casts, allowing the fly to swirl around the many exposed smooth rocks that pepper the stream. A sudden break in the surface takes his eye, he casts again, the line goes tight, the reel starts to scream.............

I'm getting a hard on just writing this stuff! ;)