Tenkara fishing

OURTREV

Reaction score
What do people make of tenkara fishing bit like pole fishing for trout with flies. Is it just a passing fad or do anglers on the forum use it and in what circumstances.

I'm not at all sure of it at all and it seems sort of self limiting.

Trev.

SP8

Reaction score
It's great fun in the right place and conditions. Presentation is excellent and it's surprising the size of fish a tenkara set up can deal with. I love the simplicity of a rod, a line and a fly. Somebody will probably come along and slag it off but each to their own. Give it a go. A full set up can be bought off ebay for very little. It will work on all sorts of river but I find that it's particularly useful on pocket water where you can get close to the fish. I sometimes take a tenkara rod ready tackled up and telescoped down in my waistcoat backpocket when salmon fishing if as usual the salmon don't want to know and the trout start rising. I've just driven past my favourite bit of tenkara river and it's nearly bone dry sadly.

SP8

Karl-K

Reaction score
I dont spend a lot of time trout fishing, but I do have a couple of tenkara rods. I don’t know if it’s improved presentation, or enforced better tactics due to the type of fishing, but my catch rates are far, far more successful with the tenkara rod. theres Something satisfying about the back to basics approach

Reactions: SP8

Isisalar

Reaction score
My first ever fly fishing experience was with my 18' cane Roach pole (a shilling a foot) with some dry flies given, among some other tackle, to me by a work colleague of my dad, in a gravel pit near Canterbury. Perch going mad for dries. I was less than 10yrs old.
The 'other' included a cane Hardy 'The Wye' Salmon rod. Which went on to take many Pike and even a few Carp. Dread to think what it would be worth today.