temple dog octapussy variant.

pot belly kev

Reaction score
hi all,sorry vid is in 3 pieces.ill re film it and try it in 2 bits.next one will be a standard temple dog tube.sorry again.many thanks for takin the time to watch.

kev

part 1
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMG7ISlnlak"]YouTube - octapussy fly 1[/ame]

part 2
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkRQ2UIX-TI"]YouTube - octapusy fly 2[/ame]

part 3
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKtca6EyMxg"]YouTube - octapusy fly 3[/ame]

Springer

Reaction score
Dont apologise for anything Kev.

Thank you for taking the time :cool:

mdh

Reaction score
help I'm at work and can't watch it until I get home. I hope the missus doesn't want the computer tonight... Can't wait to see it kev, I'm looking forward to having a few templedogs in the box for next season.

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Really really enjoyed watching that Kev! But what happened to the plain shirt you were going to wear on your next video, did the missus not iron it?

mdh

Reaction score
I got a chance to watch the video tonight. Cracking work Kev. Its amazing the things I pick up, saw you twisting the fox fur slightly before snipping it makes it much neater. I've tied up a few flies in a similar style tonight after watching that.

when is the next video?

mdh

Reaction score
Kev,

What was the actual length of the body in relation to the wing? Also what were the two hackles that you tied in at the end there? They look really mobile.

cheers

Matt

Jan Poulsen

Reaction score
the templedog style

Kev!

I think you have a very good tecniqe on tying flies, and as Mr. Frödin says is the style just a style, and can be changed to fit fish and flyfishermen.

Though I can't make the kind of documentation provided in the videos, I just have a few comments to make the fly better.

The first point is only to tie the last wrap of hackle on the lower tube. When tying everything else on the big tube, the fly gets more stable. The difficult part is to tie in the wing on only 1-2 mm of space. It can be done by tying high instead of wide.

The second point is to bruch out the furfibers after you have tied in the bodyhackle and the rib. This will if the furs fibers are large enogh ad to the flies liveliness in the water.

If my poor writing is rubbish to you all, I can recoment the DVD "Make Em swim" by Mikael Frödin. It is almost the quality of what Kev has presented to us here, so the only reason You should see it is if You want to understand what I have been trying to write.

Break a Leg (Is this the way a fisherman greets an other?)

pot belly kev

Reaction score
leangler thanks for comments appreciate it mate.jan many thanks for the advice which i have taken on board and will be using from now on,the funny thing is i normaly take my velcro scrubber and give it a ruffen up and make it nice a bushy.i got so carried away with the 10 minute time limit i totaly forgotten to do it.youtube only gives 10 minutes per video.as for tying on the thicker tube,i will definatly be trying that on my next one.ive gotten used to doing wat i call the eumer style of fishing,olli showed me how its done and he always ties on the smaller tube.but im going to try it ur way now jan.i also have all the frodin dvds,the tube one,the one on hooks and make em swim,there brilliant vids and he is a brilliant tier.jan i wana try doing more temple dog style flies on doubles.my mate con from ireland is very good at tying these style of flies and can do them on small doubles.again i appreciate all ur advice,ill let u know how i get on tying on the bigger tube,thanks again mate.

kev

2milebridge

Reaction score
hi kev
i know con very well, great tier, very fond of greenflies. i hear you're coming over in september look forward to meeting you
cheers tony

Last edited:

pot belly kev

Reaction score
hi kev
i know con very well, great tier, very fond of greenflies. i hear you're coming over in september look forward to meeting you
cheers tony

hi tony,yea con is a gentleman,dont tell him i said that though lol,green flies i did hear that hes fond of pink flies at the moment and has even asked me to tie up some pink sneldas for him,infact he was very instent i do the pink ones lol.yes hes putting me up in the shed for a week,the poor dogs getting kicked out the shed,told you con was a gentleman,how many people would give up there garden shed now lol lol mmmmm.

kev

daijones

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Kev, Only just got round to seeing this one, great job mate and really like the fly.

Thanks for taking the time to post the step by step.

Dai.;)