Teith 2021

keirstream

Reaction score
I remember years ago myself and my mate went down to that pool just to have a look, we weren’t there any more than 5 mins and two coppers came along the river bank to se what we were up too
That was because they had free tickets under the previous ownership.
Can't see that happening again.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Yes a Grey seal eats 20 to 30 lb of fish a day with the big bulls eating more. If we say 4x salmon a day. One seal eats CA 1400 salmon a year. Now I am sure he does not stay in the river all year but I have seen 6 seals between the pool and the rocks on one evening. No matter what figure you estimate the seals eat more fish than we catch and release. We will not have salmon if this continues.

lax0341

Reaction score
Yes a Grey seal eats 20 to 30 lb of fish a day with the big bulls eating more. If we say 4x salmon a day. One seal eats CA 1400 salmon a year. Now I am sure he does not stay in the river all year but I have seen 6 seals between the pool and the rocks on one evening. No matter what figure you estimate the seals eat more fish than we catch and release. We will not have salmon if this continues.
And you still ask about the declining of the salmon stocks??? Have a look at the Tees ! o_O :cry:

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Yes the Tees is a discrace! No protection for the salmon ladder and seals just sit at the enterence. The more we shout the more chance we have. The Forth because of mixed stock was made catch and release last year. When it was netted legally the seals had a healthy fear of man. Now they are tame and will actually chase you out of the river. Not that a big bull seal needs to get that close that you take a step or three back. The point of catch and release is completely lost now as the eat more than was ever caught. They go up the Tieth chasing the fish and then wait and hover up the Kelts. Oh yes to much money for a scarer or even think of anything else.

lax0341

Reaction score
I don‘t know why the scottish and northern english authorities havn‘t had a look how the danish authorities manage their salmon and seatrout rivers nowadays. They are very successful and show how it can work if you organize the management of the rivers with sense and power from the government together with support of the science.

westie4566

Reaction score
Yes the Tees is a discrace! No protection for the salmon ladder and seals just sit at the enterence. The more we shout the more chance we have. The Forth because of mixed stock was made catch and release last year. When it was netted legally the seals had a healthy fear of man. Now they are tame and will actually chase you out of the river. Not that a big bull seal needs to get that close that you take a step or three back. The point of catch and release is completely lost now as the eat more than was ever caught. They go up the Tieth chasing the fish and then wait and hover up the Kelts. Oh yes to much money for a scarer or even think of anything else.
As we experienced up here on the Dee, seal scarers really aren't that effective, sadly!

There were both fixed scarers low down and Bailiffs going down the river from Banchory everyday with a mobile scarer in a canoe. Sammy and his pals really didn't give a jot about that.

wormo

Reaction score
it's a fekkin disgrace that we can't manage predation without fear from the tree huggers , snowflakes an pricks like c packman who go out of their way to mislead, lie and set up scenarios that make the general public think that recreational fishing and shooting are the bad ones, there is a terrible imbalance in the rivers both cormorants and seals are marine dwelling animals and as such should be managed accordingly