Teith 2021

keirstream

Reaction score
Well, as we head towards an uncertain opening of the Teith in 2021 in quite different fashion, hopefully it will be a good one.
No Council razamataz or Civic receptions this year and I guess that, given the purge on budgets, we probably won't see another one.
2020 was a strange year with good numbers of fish seen running, holding and indeed being caught in the Lower river. Above Blair Drummond Bottom beat though, the picture became a bit less bright, some beats seeing nothing until late October from what I hear?
What were your experiences of the fishing on the Forth and Teith last season?
Tight lines to all for 2021.(y)(y)

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
On the Forth for me. June to 10 August good head of fish in the pools, had some days almost as good as I have seen on the river. Fell off a steep cliff after that. Mostly coloured fish showing after that of which numbers continued to fall off as they moved up river or got ate. Good start but disappointing end, so fairly average in the end. I say the 10th as it was water falling off after a flood and I said the words 'this could be a bumper year'. After that date the runs were just smaller. So my fault. I fluked a couple of grilse in Oct, one was even sea liced but by the end of the month it had closed itself.

keirstream

Reaction score
Yes Aidan,
that kind of sums up the Lower Teith, but a couple of weeks behind either side.
I had 2 tide fresh fish early September, one liced, but really it was finished by then.
Great expectations were indeed dashed and river fish became the norm.

keirstream

Reaction score
Well, a month on from opening day and still only one visit on opening day, the rest kicked into touch by the vagaries of weather , wind, rain, ice and snow. A temperate climate is never the most predictable really. :D
Anyway, signs are that it might settle just in time for a go at the March silver darlings as they pass on through.
Hope so, anyway.(y)

rod n line

Reaction score
Well, a month on from opening day and still only one visit on opening day, the rest kicked into touch by the vagaries of weather , wind, rain, ice and snow. A temperate climate is never the most predictable really. :D
Anyway, signs are that it might settle just in time for a go at the March silver darlings as they pass on through.
Hope so, anyway.(y)
Hope your right Tom. Must agree wi you tho. March can be a good month on the teith. Av no wet a line yet, but if we get half decent water heights al be out in March. 2011 managed to get one every week in march. Last four years dont think av even wet a line in March. On the teith that is. Still fished the tummel in March
tho. Remember getting a nice fish up there one March day when a was wi you.
Weather to be dry for the next week so, here's hoping we might get a cast next week. Teith should be a good height come next Wednesday and Thursday.
Fingers crossed.

rdw 01

Reaction score
Any idea of current river levels on the Teith ? Given that sepa site is still not showing .

Fergie

Reaction score
Heard this morning that there were a couple of fish caught at Callander on Saturday. Anyone owning up ? 🤔

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
One lad lost a fish on fly at the meetings. His buddy got one on a fc at the black hole about 10lb.

wormo

Reaction score
yep 2 fish caught In the Black hole on sat spinning , one lost on the fly at the meetings, about a dozen or more seen around the car park on Monday and dead as a dodo when I went on Tuesday 🙈

Fergie

Reaction score
yep 2 fish caught In the Black hole on sat spinning , one lost on the fly at the meetings, about a dozen or more seen around the car park on Monday and dead as a dodo when I went on Tuesday 🙈
Same for me today fished the Dib and Castle but all quiet.

keirstream

Reaction score
One fish lost in the Leny Pass Pool other than that no action other that poachers spinning the bejasus out of it.
St. Paddy's week was always traditionally big run time on the Leny.
Good waters this week and not a sausage according to my sources.:rolleyes:
Good runs, of course, have been consigned very much to nostalgia.
The "good runs" we talk about nowadays are generally smaller and less consistent than yesteryear in Spring and Autumn.:(

Bigroger

Reaction score
Well at least a few fish made it past the seal I saw about 45mins ago. Saw it heading downstream between the Cleekum and the Ford. Followed it to just below the pigeon huts, where it surfaced with a small, what looked clean, fish of maybe 2lb or so.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
What seals. There are no seals and if there were they do not eat salmon anyway. Did you tell it that it's catch and release. If you look up seal you will see it's a marine mammal. But there is a * . If you read the footnote it says " and the River Forth"!

wormo

Reaction score
What seals. There are no seals and if there were they do not eat salmon anyway. Did you tell it that it's catch and release. If you look up seal you will see it's a marine mammal. But there is a * . If you read the footnote it says " and the River Forth"!
it's a loosing battle while we abide by rules to protect salmonids, the seals run riot , not to mention shifting fish constantly so no wonder the catches are down
oh and while the seals munch the big fish the febs rattle the juvenile stocks, its beyond a joke

lax0341

Reaction score
That‘s the problem - too many predators all over Scotland and Northern England .

Last edited:

Glenogle

Reaction score
One fish lost in the Leny Pass Pool other than that no action other that poachers spinning the bejasus out of it.
The "good runs" we talk about nowadays are generally smaller and less consistent than yesteryear in Spring and Autumn.:(
Where were all the poachers? On the leny?

glenelg100

Reaction score
Is the Lenny a private water, never seen any permits anywhere except for possibly the bit at the loch

mikh

Reaction score
Here is Paul Walsh with his fish from the Black Hole on Saturday, with we think the first fish off Callander!

Well done👍🏻

Attachments

• D25BF41B-2376-436A-A594-C52D69DDD93A.jpeg
    D25BF41B-2376-436A-A594-C52D69DDD93A.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 92

keirstream

Reaction score
Is the Lenny a private water, never seen any permits anywhere except for possibly the bit at the loch
Season permits from Tony Cameron in the house on the hill behind the row of houses at Kilmahog or Jim Baillie for the right bank.
From the Stank Burn down Anes Straight right bank Forestry Commision days and seasons and the Lower Leny and Balvaig (Little Leny) available through fishing around the Forth.

keirstream

Reaction score
Where were all the poachers? On the leny?
In the Pass Pool below the Falls.
4 Pykies not giving a toss. The ticket holder did not confront them and retreated quietly.
He never contacted the Forth Bailliff as he has tried in the past apparently on a number of occasions with no response.

glenelg100

Reaction score
In the Pass Pool below the Falls.
4 Pykies not giving a toss. The ticket holder did not confront them and retreated quietly.
He never contacted the Forth Bailliff as he has tried in the past apparently on a number of occasions with no response.
I remember years ago myself and my mate went down to that pool just to have a look, we weren’t there any more than 5 mins and two coppers came along the river bank to se what we were up too