Tay Opening

david1982mk2

Reaction score
It was 7ft.9" at Ballathie this morning and a howling up stream wind. Not surprised theres nothing reported.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

heather point

Reaction score
Well, if the Taymount fish is to be believed it looks like my original guess in post one was correct.

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
A once great, triumphant tradition now reduced to a charade by the widespread absence of fresh fish. Like some other anglers with whom I have discussed this event, I cannot see the point of bothering kelts.

orchy1999

Reaction score
Last night I re-read and old copy of Scottish angling news that I still have from 1982.

Tay opening day report for that year reported that there was over 80 springers landed on the 15th Jan :wow:

Changed days indeed my friends:(

david1982mk2

Reaction score
Last night I re-read and old copy of Scottish angling news that I still have from 1982.

Tay opening day report for that year reported that there was over 80 springers landed on the 15th Jan :wow:

Changed days indeed my friends:(
True but back then nobody was daft enough to fish the flee in 7ft 9" and a howling 35mph up stream wind.

MikeCC

Reaction score
Wouldnt really matter whether it was 2ft on the gauge and perfect weather conditions, theres probably not 80 springers in the entire system let alone even the remote chance of catching one. The Tay, like many rivers is sadly in great demise. I gave up fishing it 2 seasons ago, it was fast becoming a waste of time and waste of hard earned cash. The opening day celebrations every 15th now are just a pointless circus. Its really about time the whole thing(not just the circus) was reviewed. The fact this years opening highlight featured Dougie Maclean(no offence Dougie!) singing a rather sad ‘Caledonia’ , rather ironically just about sums it up.

Last edited:

david1982mk2

Reaction score
Wouldnt really matter whether it was 2ft on the gauge and perfect weather conditions, theres probably not 80 springers in the entire system let alone even the remote chance of catching one. The Tay, like many rivers is sadly in great demise. I gave up fishing it 2 seasons ago, it was fast becoming a waste of time and waste of hard earned cash. The opening day celebrations every 15th now are just a pointless circus. Its really about time the whole thing(not just the circus) was reviewed. The fact this years opening highlight featured Dougie Maclean(no offence Dougie!) singing a rather sad ‘Caledonia’ , rather ironically just about sums it up.
Abit bitter . Look aback over the catches. Its been single figures in the open weeks for at least 25 years.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
What with the high water and unseasonably high temperatures, surely catches off the loch will be a better indicator if there’s anything about. Once the wind drops and itll get fished properly . Time will tell.

MikeCC

Reaction score
Its not being bitter, its stating fact. Being a local i’ve enjoyed nearly 30 years of Tay fishing but times have changed in terms of catches, and its time that the whole approach to fishing it need to equally change with the times. Its not the Jan catches that worry me, its the back end runs that have fallen off a cliff. The species is at crisis point yet people are still lobbing 50 grams of toby ironmongery into the river on the 15th of January, all for the sake of a couple of kelts flopping around and the odd sea trout. If as you say its opening catches have been so dismal over the last 25 years then why is the season still opening on the 15th Jan??

Last edited:

kinnaber

Reaction score
A once great, triumphant tradition now reduced to a charade by the widespread absence of fresh fish. Like some other anglers with whom I have discussed this event, I cannot see the point of bothering kelts.

Yes. It’s long overdue the issue was enforced , even more so with the gravid fish that are just about all that’s about in the Autumn.

david1982mk2

Reaction score
Sometimes its not all about actual fishing there is a social side to the 15th.

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
I think that they are only in there because its keich , if there were fish about no one would be loitering in the hut

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
just watched the video clip of the taymount fish , now if I was the guy who caught it I'd be right pizzed off , payed to fish , sat in cack conditions , played and landed it then just when you want to show off yer catch , which by the way a january Springer is like hens teith these days , the ghillie draws it away from you whilst babbling on and takes a super slow mo of him releasing it
prob expected a tip too , all I can say is I wont ever go to that beat again and that's the biggest ego trip I've seen for a long time

riffled hitch

Reaction score
just watched the video clip of the taymount fish , now if I was the guy who caught it I'd be right pizzed off , payed to fish , sat in cack conditions , played and landed it then just when you want to show off yer catch , which by the way a january Springer is like hens teith these days , the ghillie draws it away from you whilst babbling on and takes a super slow mo of him releasing it
prob expected a tip too , all I can say is I wont ever go to that beat again and that's the biggest ego trip I've seen for a long time
Seen this doing the rounds all over social media yesterday. I completely agree, the ghillie should of at least got the trophy shot with the angler, but it is easy to get carried away in the moment.

I personally would have a whole range of emotions at that exact moment in time, you may have just caught the first 2020 Atlantic salmon, you have definitely caught a January springer,
It would be like being on the biggest legal high, and then the proverbial splash of cold water would hit you when it was all done that you never really got the glory shot with a January springer,

It's at this point I would have just guaranteed an overnight stay with the local fuzz and said ghillie would be getting a free taxi to the local hospital 😂

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
it seems to be a trend on a few beats on the tay , maybe elsewhere too for the ghillies to hold their clients fish
you get the same pic over and over ghillie and fish centre with the angler just to the side and out of focus
I just don't get it , it would be the last visit to a beat if that happened to me

wormo

Reaction score
i think so yes , but they were on the banking out the boat , there is no reason why he didn't get a shot with it , or mabe he did but then why not show it
ps I know some people frown upon harling saying the ghillie does all the work but at that height and this time of year it's the best chance of a fish

Last edited: