Tay 2022

Rennie

Reaction score
Well, banker on the Linn Pool tomorrow folks?, might it be a question of how many and how big?.Weather looks good, might be sun block instead of rust inhibitor for a change! think the Loch might produce too.
As clement a prospective opening day as there has been for many a year, will that reflect in the catches?
Tight lines all.
Pedro.

GeeBee

Reaction score
Interesting that they said that the usual thermal barriers are not present on the Tay.

I’d imagine that would be true for a number of rivers. No sight of any real cold in the ten day forecast either - or heavy rains !

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Well, banker on the Linn Pool tomorrow folks?, might it be a question of how many and how big?.Weather looks good, might be sun block instead of rust inhibitor for a change! think the Loch might produce too.
As clement a prospective opening day as there has been for many a year, will that reflect in the catches?
Tight lines all.
Pedro.
The loch always produces a springer on opening day.
Miloš invited me to the opening ceremony bbq at Rome croy tomorrow with all your mad mates Pedro.
Ive just finished taping the guides on and joeying up a handle on the Rome croy 16’6” prototype blank for Miloš and the boys to try out. If they like it I will build it into a proper rod then give them it back to hammer. Once it’s been tested thoroughly and if we’re happy with it I will order a run of blanks. If not I will tweak the blank and start the whole process again.
The blank feels promising with the wiggle test. Will see what like tomorrow.
1FAD0483-7C0A-4E9C-BA78-E23EAFCB8AD8.jpeg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The loch always produces a springer on opening day.
Miloš invited me to the opening ceremony bbq at Rome croy tomorrow with all your mad mates Pedro.
Ive just finished taping the guides on and joeying up a handle on the Rome croy 16’6” prototype blank for Miloš and the boys to try out. If they like it I will build it into a proper rod then give them it back to hammer. Once it’s been tested thoroughly and if we’re happy with it I will order a run of blanks. If not I will tweak the blank and start the whole process again.
The blank feels promising with the wiggle test. Will see what like tomorrow.
View attachment 70913
Good luck with the fishing and the rod test. Sounds like it will be a brilliant day.

Northwesty

Reaction score
Just opened the Fishpal email for latest catches on the Tay and was able to view all the recipients e-mail address', don't think that should happen!!!

Andrew B

Reaction score
Isn’t the Linn Pool supposed to be mega deep? However few turn up in January by February that place seems to hold a fair number of large average size fish. I’m presuming there are spots that are shallow enough to get the lures down to the fish?
What a maelstrom of a place that pool is.

Andrew B

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the ghillie said its around 90ft at its deepest, thats a pool!!!!!
Wow that’s like the Strid type depth at Bolton Abbey on the Wharfe.
Obviously nobody fishes that depth but do salmon ever get down there as I believe running fish are up in the top layers?
I’m not sure what it will mean for the fishing on the Tay but after weeks of mild weather we’re now getting some heavy frosts but like I said today I was watching a trout on the fin at Malham

neilt

Reaction score
The Linn pool is about 90ft at the deepest bit - and not a salmon holding/catching bit.
A lot of it is made/influenced by us. Bellymore Dyke is a man made island and the main channel - where the deepest bit is, is a where the rock face barrier was blasted through.
- Or this is what I’ve been told.
It’s a temperature barrier if cold enough - which it isn’t so far this winter.
Also a great high water shot with the fish slowing down to work out where to go and certain bits - the green bank in particular - only fishing/flowing in high water.

chriswjx

Reaction score
New guidance from the board, recommendation for no worming throughout the season now. Raps to be tay rigged only ie one hook.

FB_IMG_1642359726645.jpg

goosander

Reaction score
Note that all sea trout to be returned. Does that apply to the nets at the mouth of the Earn Ferryfield as well or just to us mugs. From what i have been told they seam to catch a good few fish.
Bob.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Note that all sea trout to be returned. Does that apply to the nets at the mouth of the Earn Ferryfield as well or just to us mugs. From what i have been told they seam to catch a good few fish.
Bob.

I seems to remember reading that sea trout are recommended for return all season last year as well? As I had a conversation with one ghillie about that conservation policy and his answer was "we don't catch sea trout on this beat 😉 "