Taping rod joints

Stooriefit

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a tape that doesn't take the laquer off the rod? I've been using black electrical insulation tape but it's causing damage to the finish. It's adhesion was also pretty poor at the back end when I was fishing in sub-zero conditions. Thanks.

leedsgarth

Reaction score
tape

I tried the posh more expensive amalgamating tape sold by some shops once but did not seem to be any better to me really?
I just accept that at times a bit of varnish may come off, but thinking about it -only has on 1 of my rods over past perhaps 10 years.
a rod I no longer have anyway.

am sure almagamating tape may have worked for some though.

LG

ibm59

Reaction score

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
Aye nothing like another thread on rod taping tae pass an entertaining afternoon on a braw day.

Wi the amalgam tape I'd be worried aboot patting ma wee thumb straight through the blank, while trying tae take the bloody stuff aff, tae use again.

miramichi

Reaction score
Another thread on rod taping... I suppose it is a tired subject, but I'd sure like to find a good answer. I've tried various versions of electrical tape including the most expensive I can find, and I get the same results. It does keep the rod from coming apart, but I find that the alignment twists underneath the tape. Then when I try to realign the rod while fishing the twisted tape makes it much harder to get it tight than with no tape at all. Some trips I tape the rod and don't like the results, then the next trip I don't tape the rod, forget to check for tightness, and stress the joints. To me it is a real pain in the butt.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
rod taping

try putting a couple of pieces of tape onto each joint vertically its a bit of a fiddle to do but usually keeps the rod aligned once you then wrap the tape round horizontally.

hope this helps.

fishpond

Reaction score
Hi,

I do the same as chris one piece along the rod then a spiral over the top going from female to male section - I use sock tape from sports shops - like stretchy insulating tape - works well for me

Richard

Eminem

Reaction score
Aye nothing like another thread on rod taping tae pass an entertaining afternoon on a braw day.

Wi the amalgam tape I'd be worried aboot patting ma wee thumb straight through the blank, while trying tae take the bloody stuff aff, tae use again.

It just rolls off the end of the rod section at the end of the day. No need to try and pick it off. :)

PS If we all had to "search" previous topics and posts before posting or replying to anything on this Forum it would quickly lose any interest or attraction. Lets try just rolling with it..... :rolleyes: