Taping joints

Gallionhound

Reaction score
Never really seen anyone tape rod joints, although at a lake years ago my fly rod came apart, and kept doing so. An old guy noticed and had a section of a candle, he rubbed it up and down the male piece and it didnt come loose again

kimbo

Reaction score
I find that the more expensive rods don't need taping, the cheaper ones do.
Don't use electricians tape there is a chemical in the glue that will attack varnish and epoxy over time.
Use amalgamating tape as had been said, I used it in plumbing for all sorts of things.
Easily obtainable from Toolstation and cheap as chips, doesn't use glue so perfect for rods

Byron

Reaction score
I've never taped. Always waxed and check troughout day if sections have loosened. I've never broke a rod from casting it.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I used to tape my rods. Now I’ve stopped. I stopped after my Taped MacKenzie DTX snapped on the second section. I called Scott and he said send it to him - and he diagnosed the problem as the section loosening even with the tape on - but because I had the false security of taping I’d kept casting and it snapped under load. Admittedly I wasn’t the best caster so tended to do that ‘give it plenty’ - especially when windy. So I find the best thing to do is check every so often - especially if you feel the rod not quite casting right if you’ve been fishing consistently. Never had a problem with an untaped rod since. Also, especially if I’m fishing a sandy/gritty river - After I take it down, I’ll also always wash the ferules to make sure there’s no grit left to damage the connections. The other benefit is not losing your mind trying to untape what you’ve taped as it comes off in little bits.

ps. Although it was my fault, Scott sent me a replacement foc - so that’s great service!!

long Preston

Reaction score
In 30 years of fly fishing for salmon I have broken 1 rod at the ferrule through not taping & had 1 other come loose, but got away with it on that occasion (I was rushing as I only had 40 minutes to fish before I had to leave).

I have no doubt that on 99%+ of occasions it won't be an issue, but with top end rods at over £1K now then why take the risk?

More to the point if you blow your' rod up in the first hour then the rest of the day may be screwed as well unless you have a replacement easily to hand.

The equation is: Rod - £1K+, reel of decent 3M tape lasting all season: about a fiver. - call me cautious, but I'll take the safer option every time; especially with some of my favourite rods which are no longer in production.

Regards, Tyke.
spoken like a true tyke

long Preston

Reaction score
I used to tape my rods. Now I’ve stopped. I stopped after my Taped MacKenzie DTX snapped on the second section. I called Scott and he said send it to him - and he diagnosed the problem as the section loosening even with the tape on - but because I had the false security of taping I’d kept casting and it snapped under load. Admittedly I wasn’t the best caster so tended to do that ‘give it plenty’ - especially when windy. So I find the best thing to do is check every so often - especially if you feel the rod not quite casting right if you’ve been fishing consistently. Never had a problem with an untaped rod since. Also, especially if I’m fishing a sandy/gritty river - After I take it down, I’ll also always wash the ferules to make sure there’s no grit left to damage the connections. The other benefit is not losing your mind trying to untape what you’ve taped as it comes off in little bits.

ps. Although it was my fault, Scott sent me a replacement foc - so that’s great service!!
hes a top bloke

Zamora

Reaction score
Not related to taping, but advice that might help someone. I use Fjällräven Greenland wax to ferrules. Just wax the male ferrule and the joints will hold on better and won’t get stucked. Also the Greenland wax isn’t sticky, so it won’t collect any dirt.

Handel

Reaction score

When I moved on to Gaelforce rods James Chalmers said to me that taping was not necessary just check the joints every so often. So I risked it and have never looked back. And I do a lot of fishing where taking down and putting up the rod (or even two rods) is necessary. It is great not having to faff about with all that tape.

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Tape every time. If you use self amalgamating tape then the tape sticks to itself and not to the carbon. All you need to do to remove the tape is roll it like you are removing a proverbial Johnny from your proverbial Willie. I have known too many anglers lose rod sections that have not been taped. I have never known any lose sectioms that have been taped. Five quid per roll and a roll lasts ages. You know it makes sense ;)

Jer

Reaction score
I dislike taping the joints.... it’s not just that I think it looks messy... I am worried also about damaging the expoxy finish around the ferrules... I always wax the ferrules though and I do watch my rod closely for any misalignment and will check the ferrules remain intact a number of times throughout my time on the water... there is always an opportunity to check as I move from pool to pool downriver... hope I am not tempting fate now!

Last edited:

reelit1

Reaction score
I presume this is a must every time ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A light waxing of the joints and tape with a tape that doesn't strip the varnish off, I have done this for 47 years and have never broken a rod at the ferrules,I have seen too many broken rods at the ferrules and tips shooting of down the line,better safe than sorry, Prevention is better than cure. Line knots hitting the eyes when casting and playing a fish can loosen the joints.

budge

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a difference between spiggot joints and over fit joints coming loose ? The rods I used to use had spiggot joints which frequently came loose and required taping. My current rods have over fit joints which with a light rub of candle wax have never come loose. Maybe the solid spiggot being much stiffer than hollow carbon is the reason for them coming loose ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Speytime

Reaction score
It may have been mentioned i've not read all the replies but self amalgamating tape won't take any varnish or alignment dots off, it's not sticky.

For the minute it takes to tape the ferrules I'm more comfortable with them taped.

Al

Karl-K

Reaction score
If I’m away for a few days and the rod is going to be constantly used I tape the joints, if it’s a short session I can’t be bothered with the faff of taping and un-taping, I used to tape every time but getting lazy in my old age. There was a particular 3m tape that everyone used to talk about, I must get some more.

Mabb

Reaction score
I’ve always taped he joints on all my rods, after reading this thread I didn’t bother the first time out with my new rod..it felt so wrong so next time I taped up and felt much better 😀😆

ABK

Reaction score
Hugh Falkus used to glue his rods sections together on the ones he used at Cragg cottage close to the river and the ones he used on his Spey casting courses. Any casting action which causes twisting and torsion can either loosen or tighten a rod section. Having fly fished for salmon for over 55 years I have always taped my rod sections. I have a layer of tape which is permanently wound on each section. Over this I wind the tape which keeps them bound together. Found nothing wrong with electrical tape. I have tried amalgamating tape and I do not like it. The original purpose of applying wax was to stop the joints sticking, thus allowing a rod to be dismantled. It also stopped the sections from suffering wear and tear which would cause loose fittings.