Tapered Leaders for Salmon Fishing

colliedog01

Reaction score
I have been considering trying out tapered leaders for salmon fishing (Fluorocarbon / Nylon). Just wondering does anyone have any experience of this and if so what do you think about the method ?

SpinozaRodCo

Reaction score
I’ve fished them a bunch in Canada. I like them for later season conditions when the water is low and clear. You get nice turnover and presentation so long as you aren’t throwing large flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
I use them in summer when the waters low and im fishing small flies. You get a nice light presentation with good turnover so the flies are fishing straight away.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I agree it is all to do with the size and weight of your fly. I normally start off with about 8' of 15lb Maxima in the spring and as the water warms up during the season I will add a 3' length of 10lb as a tippet as my flies get smaller.

riffled hitch

Reaction score
Only started using them a few seasons ago, very handy in low clear water conditions, I also make my own tapered leader of a sort when using a dropper, using heavier nylon to the dropper and lighter to the tail fly, certainly helps turn over

Loxie

Reaction score
I use them the whole time. Largely tapered nylon, tippet ring, fluoro tippet, but sometimes nylon nylon, fluoro fluoro and occasionally just tapered nylon no tippet. I would never willingly use a level leader now.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Tapered leaders are also great with sinking lines and tubes, they are very useful all season long, as said above great turnover and presentation. Just be aware that if you want to fish heavier tubes make sure that you use a suitable breaking strain. I use them up to 24lbs.

bankwheel

Reaction score
And in relation to Fluoro / Nylon tapered leaders do you find any major difference ?
I never use fluro for salmon fishing, find it too brittle, tried many different types but lost confidence in it so back to nylon for me. it divides opinion though, others on here swear by it.

colliedog01

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. In relation to the set up is the fly tied directly onto the tapered leader or is a tippet ring used? Do any of you reuse the leader numerous times ?

bankwheel

Reaction score
absolutely, some use a tippet ring, some tie a length of nylon on and some just tie the fly straight on and after a while when it starts to get shorter, just tie a length of nylon back on

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I use tapered leaders all the time too. A Tippet ring and a length of Flouro or Mono completes the leader.

I would recommend that you

a. Never pick up the first leader off the shelf / rack if it’s anywhere near a window and there is any chance that light can get through the packing.

b. Do a break test of the tapered leader when you test your knots and tippet material. I had a leader break on a fish this year for the first time in many years, losing tippet ring, tippet, fly and fish. I changed the leader immediately and carried on fishing.

When I went back to the leader later, I found I could break the tapered leader in my hands for about 2 feet up from the tippet end. It was breaking well below the stated strength (11.5lbs) and I’m pretty sure it was the one I picked off the front of a display case. My fault entirely for choosing badly and not testing it.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
I do like the riverage fluorocarbon tapered leaders. They make them in 9ft and 12ft lengths, but I can only seem to find the 9ft ones for sale. I use the 17lb and 19lb ones for floating or intermediate tip work. I tie a leader ring on the tip and pull it tight with a pair of pliers and give the knot a dab of Aquasure. This provides a very reliable junction to tie your lighter tippet material too. Once dry, I coil them up and put them back in the little packet they are sold in and store them in my jacket for convenience. They certainly improve presentation.

You could cut them down to shorter lengths for sunk line work, but presentation just isn’t as important with this method. I’m sure many will disagree with me.

It’s also very important that you tie very good knots, pull them very tight, which is why I use pliers and Aquasure, for peace of mind. Fluorocarbon has let me down in the past, but I have great faith in what I have discussed above.

Loxie

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. In relation to the set up is the fly tied directly onto the tapered leader or is a tippet ring used? Do any of you reuse the leader numerous times ?
I do both. Normally a tippet ring. With a monkey or a Sunray I often just use the leader. I generally use a new leader on a line every year. Sometimes more often, but only if there is an indication of damage.

FWIW I like Profil tapered nylon leaders and Guideline fluoro. I use the fluoro on sunk lines, nylon on floaters and slow inters.
Nylon tippet for dries and hitches, fluoro for everything else.

I think most people have a fair bit of low hanging fruit they can harvest in low water leader construction.

Oh and I never use poly leaders, ever.

GeeBee

Reaction score
I often keep ones that have became shorter with usage for spring or big fly fishing
Me too. Though ive now moved on to 5ft clear mono furled leaders and 4ft of nylon. It turns over flies up to size #8 just lovely.

I read about it on a sea trout forum. They use them for night fishing.

tenet

Reaction score
Me too. Though ive now moved on to 5ft clear mono furled leaders and 4ft of nylon. It turns over flies up to size #8 just lovely.

I read about it on a sea trout forum. They use them for night fishing.
I wrote about furled leaders on this forum some time ago - perfect for small flies and a delicate approach in low water. Used them last June on the Thurso and landed a couple of Spring fish to 13lb.

Kevlar Furled Tapered Leaders – LoopyLeaders.co.uk

Rrrr

Reaction score
And in relation to Fluoro / Nylon tapered leaders do you find any major difference ?
I find the fluro ones tend to crack and split for some reason. I prefer mono and a tippet ring on the end then a few foot of fluro if its really clear and there is seatrout about.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I wrote about furled leaders on this forum some time ago - perfect for small flies and a delicate approach in low water. Used them last June on the Thurso and landed a couple of Spring fish to 13lb.

Kevlar Furled Tapered Leaders – LoopyLeaders.co.uk
I bought one and couldnt get away with it as it wouldnt sink properly. I like them for fishing dry flies though with some gink or muclin added.

tenet

Reaction score
I bought one and couldnt get away with it as it wouldnt sink properly. I like them for fishing dry flies though with some gink or muclin added.

I have used fluro furled leaders - use the heaviest trout rating x 5 or 6ft long and cut back a foot or so forming a perfection loop and Wallah the perfect answer. Perfectly straight turnover and slow sink.

Rennie

Reaction score
I navigated to Tapered leaders through poly leaders(well, they're tapered leaders simply covered in various sinking rates of polymer!).
Any ways, in my early days I made my own up with stepped down B.S. lengths of maxima.Boy did I get some horrendous tangles!-that was enough to put me off for quite some time..
However as my casting improved and I recognised the need for better presentation than I was currently giving Salar, I thought best give them a go again.
My at that time set up was with a poly, leader ring and a suitable tippet, so I merely carried that forward to the use of tapered leaders.
Now as Fluro sinks pretty much the same rate as a full inty. poly. tip, I chose Mono tapered leaders, so I could fish the flee higher in the water(classic floating line presentation) when I needed to or indeed fish Sunrays, Collies, Hitched flee's etc.
Now ex boss man Springer used to harp on(at times!) endlessly about diameter in addition to breaking strain.So before I bought any thing leader wise, I had a good look at the size of flee's I'd be using and the breaking strain and diameter of the tippet materials(both Fluro and Mono) I'd be using.
Was settled on 15lb for the max I'd need for much of my floating line fishing, so looked for some 12ft tapered leaders with a breaking strain and diameter greater than 15lb Maxima or 15.4 lb Seaguar(at the business end!).I got a 3 pack of 12ft tapered leaders in mono and chopped them back to 10ft(from the front end), then knotted and glued a 3mm leader ring to the business end, the butt end was finished with a perfection loop.Coupled to a tippet length of 5ft to 6ft, that gives me a leader length of 16ish feet.I'll use this arrangement from my 11ft 6 ins switch rods up to my 14fters no problems.
I do have some longer leaders that will handle 19lb Seaguar tippet for my 15 and 16fter's, but rarely do they come out to play.
I'll very happily use either Mono. or Fluro. tippet off my tapered leaders, choosing the appropriate material for how deep I want the flee to fish on the day.
A pack of 3 leaders rigged in this way will last me a full season, in fact rarely do they suffer from failure or wear.I only change to new leaders each season as they're relatively cheap!.
A secondary advantage to "rigging" like this is, I can simply swop the tapered leader for a 10ft poly should I need to get the flee down in the water column a little.Casting isn't affected as the leader length remains constant!.And also for the "tightwads" of us out there, a 50yd spool of Seaguar will just about last me a full season(only use 6ft per session max.!).
I'll be honest, if you're not exactly the best caster in the world, a tapered leader is no magic wand or will it transform your casting/flee presentation to hero status overnight.However if your well up the casting ladder, a tapered leader arrangement will give you constantly better casting and presentation of your flee time after time.Thats what puts fish on the bank!
I don't spend wads of wonga on flash fancy leaders either, I get a pack of 3 for I think £6 or maybe £9, can't remember honestly!.Best City tackle's where I get mine from on 'tinter web!.Never let me down yet!.
I can comfortably cast dressed flies up to size 6, just about any plaggy tube with/without coneheads etc or copper tubes up to 1 1/2", but more usually 1" with no problems at all.
Were I you, I'd have a sit down one evening and ask yourself what you want from a tapered leader.Check out diameters and breaking strains at the tip end of the tapered leader, then compare to the tippet materials that you use.You want the end of your tapered leader to be greater in both strength and diameter than that of the heaviest tippet material you use.This ensures the tapered leader will turn over the tippet and flee every time.Glasgow Anglings frequent catalogues given away in various fishing publications are as good a place as any to start, along side the 'tinter web too!.
Best of luck.
Pedro.

GeeBee

Reaction score

Im using Clearstream mono leaders from the US. The mono sinks pretty well. Make sure you get heavy.

Last edited: