Tales of Teviot woe

Oscar

Reaction score
The question you have to ask is, if its purely down to low water, the fish will still be some where, still out at sea,in the historical low water beats, or trapped part way in their journey.Then when the water arrives, its fish soup as they bolt for the spawning beds.Dont think thats been the case over the past few few seasons! and if they don't run the rivers-where do they go?,they'll have to go somewhere, they won't turn round and come back next year.Certainly not seen evidence of that at all-imagine the size of them if they did!.
They're not coming because they're not there to come, simple as.I for one have a guess or so as to why, but to be honest I don't exactly know the true reason.
Sad indeed, but there you go,Pedro.

I think my point is that (maybe) after a number of seasons of very low/unreliable water, the fish have decided not to be as active on the spawning beds, meaning less fish. If they can't rely on water at the right time, maybe this is a natural reaction to poor running conditions? In other words, evolution of sorts.

When/if we get more reliable conditions, maybe they will naturally return to 'recolonise' (for want of a better word)?

Transferring it to humans, if I spent three years going to Barbados and each year it was ****, I wouldn't go again the next year!

You can probably tell I am no scientist, and my argument could well be (and probably is) fatally flawed!

Oscar.

marty31

Reaction score
I think they go to other rivers.Not all of them but some of them.
sorry I don't agree with that, the tweed, tay etc doesn't need water to bring fish in, yes they wont run up to the spawning redds or upper river but they populate the lower/middle river then wait on water, (it seems that this gets explained again and again)
up to the point of exasperation, which other river has all these non native surplus salmon? the man that can answer that, is a very cleaver man indeed, rennies last post, hits the nail right on the head, :eek:

KerrySalmon

Reaction score
Similar problems in Ireland

Our autumn fish are all but disappeared in rivers from Donegal to Waterford. Our east coast rivers have very few fish at any time of the year. We had very good runs of fish up to mid July but nothing after this date. The problem started in 2012 and has continued. We have had no problems with water in the autumns of these years and fish were just not there. We have an excellent river in Kerry (Laune) which is the outflow of the Killarney system which is practically devoid of fish and was until early 2000's an excellent late summer / autumn fishery with huge resident stocks of fish. The problem is at sea.

ravenscraig

Reaction score
There has not been a back end run to speak about on the whole of east coast Scotland this year and has been on a steady decline for last few years, I think there must be a serious problem at Sea, Worst i have seen it in last 30 years.
Just hope we find out why Less Salmon returning every year at back end.

marty31

Reaction score
There has not been a back end run to speak about on the whole of east coast Scotland this year and has been on a steady decline for last few years, I think there must be a serious problem at Sea, Worst i have seen it in last 30 years.
Just hope we find out why Less Salmon returning every year at back end.
totally agree, these last two years there has not been a backend run at all, worst I have seen in 30 years, the problem has to be at sea, surely some of these over paid, over educated so called scientists can come up with some kind of logical answer:confused:

big red

Reaction score
Where are the fish???

Is there any chance that some of the East European/Russian super trawlers have been hoovering up the fish .
How easy for one of these boats to lift a whole run in the massive nets and just f off back home!!
Inland predation by seals is a major problem on the Forth and Teith. The gravel bars that usually have late fish cutting redds have no sign at all, as these are in the lower river and easy for the seals to access!!!
This also goes for the kelts at the start of the season....easy prey for Sammy:mad::mad::mad:

Hemmy

Reaction score
Looking at another site it would appear there has been a great run of non taking fish up the cauldron on Teviot today

AlanT

Reaction score
Looking at another site it would appear there has been a great run of non taking fish up the cauldron on Teviot today

I was on the Teviot this morning for a couple of hours before it became unfishable due to rising levels and discolouration.

There was indeed a good run of fish, the first I've seen this year, and a lot of clean ones amongst them at that. Nothing to allay any fears or prove anybody right or wrong regarding autumn runs etc, but refreshing to see all the same.

Last edited:

AlanT

Reaction score
A leaf per cast made it impossible to fish, particularly as its the first rise for a long time so a lot of leaves to wash away. Even with a single barbless hook it was hopeless. Leaf soup

Ach well the fish took a different line up the rising water and were porpoising six feet from where I was sitting so had a good hour watching them. It could be good on Monday.

Just when I was about to put my gear away for the year....

Last edited:

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
seals

Is there any chance that some of the East European/Russian super trawlers have been hoovering up the fish .
How easy for one of these boats to lift a whole run in the massive nets and just f off back home!!
Inland predation by seals is a major problem on the Forth and Teith. The gravel bars that usually have late fish cutting redds have no sign at all, as these are in the lower river and easy for the seals to access!!!
This also goes for the kelts at the start of the season....easy prey for Sammy:mad::mad::mad:

nothing is being done about the seals ok they need to feed and eat and its not up to us humans to dispatch at will cos of our needs,but im sure a tranquilzer dart or something then move some of the seals to areas where the seal population is on its ****-simples or do what they do near the tay shoot em ! i prefre the first option,we here in the north east of england have also had seals hammer the fish this yr,thats what we do in britain we abolish hunting with dogs a (courseing) make it harder to hunt deer etc..... with legeslation and TV propagand like bambi :eek: then when the deer or seals in this case get out of hand we send in a team of exterminators who shoot them ! now is the just me or have i got it wrong,yer cant hunt or its hard to hunt them legally,but the get shot by rangers and forestry commision ermmmmm like the boar in the forest of dean,they hate poachers taking them but sent in the forestry commision to shoot them leaving some animals lame,so we care for all our animals but when they become over populated whcih by most the time is too late we then eventually shoot them,but not allowed to hunt in the case of game species,we need a seal cull or removal of seasl and put them into areas where they area devoid or underpopulated