Taking the plunge, first build

chriswjx

Reaction score
Hi folks,

So what with being locked down in Edinburgh for at least the next month, I've decided to accelerate my plans and try and build my first rod now rather than this winter.

I'm going to go for the Bloke 11'3" 8/9wt kit which looks like an absolute powerhouse of a rod. Mick has offered his advice as well during the build.

Tool wise I'm fairly confident on getting most of what I need, but the major sticking point at the moment is getting a rod dryer built... I've had a look through here and elsewhere, and people seem to be able to knock one up using something like this?

However, I've not done any kind of wiring since doing those bulbs and crocodile clips back in high school and I'm not sure these can be trusted to run for the extended periods needed? Do folk here have any recommendations and/or an idiots guide to doing all the wiring I would need for this? I'm confident on wiring a plug, but looking at these motors on amazon and folk are talking about terminal strips etc which is is well beyond me...

Thanks in advance.

Chris

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Hi folks,

So what with being locked down in Edinburgh for at least the next month, I've decided to accelerate my plans and try and build my first rod now rather than this winter.

I'm going to go for the Bloke 11'3" 8/9wt kit which looks like an absolute powerhouse of a rod. Mick has offered his advice as well during the build.

Tool wise I'm fairly confident on getting most of what I need, but the major sticking point at the moment is getting a rod dryer built... I've had a look through here and elsewhere, and people seem to be able to knock one up using something like this?

However, I've not done any kind of wiring since doing those bulbs and crocodile clips back in high school and I'm not sure these can be trusted to run for the extended periods needed? Do folk here have any recommendations and/or an idiots guide to doing all the wiring I would need for this? I'm confident on wiring a plug, but looking at these motors on amazon and folk are talking about terminal strips etc which is is well beyond me...

Thanks in advance.

Chris
I just wired mine straight onto an old lamp wire with switch and fused plug.
I used a plumbing fitting basically like a cup and attached rubber o rings over it to hold the blank.
Cost about £7 all in

chriswjx

Reaction score
I just wired mine straight onto an old lamp wire with switch and fused plug.
I used a plumbing fitting basically like a cup and attached rubber o rings over it to hold the blank.
Cost about £7 all in

Cheers for the reply, in terms of motors, did you just grab one of the many Chinese imports I'm seeing on amazon which all seem identical just sold by different folk? Can't seem to find one which doesn't have someone complain about it running "warm/hot" so I'm concerned about leaving it on overnight etc...

reedwarbler

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

Chris
I built a rod on the same blank with loads of help from TFS on here, nice powerful rod ive only had chance to have a few casts with it, I bought one of Micks switch lines to go with it, I was a bit dubious about the weight at 40 grams but its flies out.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply, in terms of motors, did you just grab one of the many Chinese imports I'm seeing on amazon which all seem identical just sold by different folk? Can't seem to find one which doesn't have someone complain about it running "warm/hot" so I'm concerned about leaving it on overnight etc...
I've had mines running for days. It was cheap off ebay

chriswjx

Reaction score
Thanks guys, what with the missus working from home, I didn't want to get an angry phone call about a burnt out motor whilst at work 😅

Just waiting to hear from Mick if he's able to substitute the reel seat in the kit to one that might fit my massive footed youngs 1530/40s then it'll be all go

Bonito

Reaction score

Could add a wee bit of advice (from experience). Don`t leave the rod turning with resin unless you are around and certainly not overnight, power cut and you have lovely resin stalagmites

chriswjx

Reaction score
Could add a wee bit of advice (from experience). Don`t leave the rod turning with resin unless you are around and certainly not overnight, power cut and you have lovely resin stalagmites

Ah, fair point... what I might have to do is get myself in a position where I apply the resin on the weekends then... Good to know, I would say my area's right next to Edinburgh main rail line, so I should be immune to power cuts, but that would be tempting fate...

On that note though, how long should I keep them turning then? As I was under the impression that the resin takes at least a good 24h to properly cure, and so it should be left turning for that whole period?

Bonito

Reaction score
Ah, fair point... what I might have to do is get myself in a position where I apply the resin on the weekends then... Good to know, I would say my area's right next to Edinburgh main rail line, so I should be immune to power cuts, but that would be tempting fate...

On that note though, how long should I keep them turning then? As I was under the impression that the resin takes at least a good 24h to properly cure, and so it should be left turning for that whole period?
Right up to the point one derails

Depends a bit on which resin you are using, some take a bit longer than others (not much) and others dry a bit quicker. There are all sorts of latest super dooper resins claiming this that and the next thing and builders saying " I get on better with such and such" Normally pilot error. I`ll give you the exact same finish with any of them. My dryers are on a timer in a sealed cabinet and set for 5 hrs. That`s using Flexicoat which is trade standard, been using it since it arrived on the scene, no reason to change. I normally leave them 24hrs for any second coat but that`s simply me. If I`m pushed I can second coat in 6 hrs.

chriswjx

Reaction score
I’ve just started building the exact same rod, it’s my second build and it’s already much faster and easier second time around 👍
It’s honestly quite easy buddy, just take your time and don’t process any further until you’re happy with the bit you’re on with 👍

mick

Cheers pal. Aye, I've already got a half litre of IPA set aside in the lab at work that I'm going to nick for it 😅

Bonito

Reaction score
Cheers pal. Aye, I've already got a half litre of IPA set aside in the lab at work that I'm going to nick for it 😅

Leave it in the lab and buy simple meths, not the whitish stuff, the purple colour *Screwfix non nonsense brand"

Mick_G

Reaction score
I’ve spent a few quid so far on all the gear but planning on building a few different rods anyway so I don’t mind, I’m thinking about buying a wood turning lathe now haha

chriswjx

Reaction score
Leave it in the lab and buy simple meths, not the whitish stuff, the purple colour *Screwfix non nonsense brand"

its "free" from work ;) cleaning grade IPA as well, so not actually that useful at work, and we're trying to get rid of it

chriswjx

Reaction score
If I was getting paid to take it and use it I`d not put it near a rod

nah, not so much getting paid to get rid of it, its just sat there for the once in a couple of months we figure we actually need it. Its probably purer than the stuff you buy from a shop as its still analytical reagent grade, think its 99.99% pure?

AlanT

Reaction score
nah, not so much getting paid to get rid of it, its just sat there for the once in a couple of months we figure we actually need it. Its probably purer than the stuff you buy from a shop as its still analytical reagent grade, think its 99.99% pure?
I think he's trying to tell you not to use it on your rod? 🤔

chriswjx

Reaction score
I think he's trying to tell you not to use it on your rod? 🤔

thought IPA was the recommended cleaner for resin residues and what nots, at least from Mick's videos on the Bloke youtube

Plus, at least with our work, ethanol is a much stronger organic solvent than IPA

Bonito

Reaction score
thought IPA was the recommended cleaner for resin residues and what nots, at least from Mick's videos on the Bloke youtube

Plus, at least with our work, ethanol is a much stronger organic solvent than IPA

You go right ahead and use it then.

chriswjx

Reaction score
I'll give both a shot, see which one I prefer using. There must be personal preference if some folk recommend IPA but others go by methylated spirits... Chalk it up to finding my own way of doing it I guess...

Mick_G

Reaction score
Did mick send you the guide spacing? I need to double check the ones I recieved as when I measured the spacings on the blank it has the lowest/largest eye on the bottom section....this seems very odd to me?

just thought I’d ask before I rang mick if I get a chance tomorrow 👍

chriswjx

Reaction score
Still to hear back from Mick from Sunday regarding whether he had a reel seat he could sub in to the kit that would fit my old JW Youngs 1540s without me filing down the reel foot.

Does sound odd though, please pass on what Mick tells you tomorrow though if you don't mind :p

Tonyc

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of building my third Bloke rod and really enjoing the experience, getting bolder with wraps and adding a gold strand in the middle now. Fly tying skills and hackle pliars have transferred easily.

I use one of the motors mentioned above and house it in one of Amazons cheaper plastic project boxes and loads of glue gun. Together with a "tommy tippee" clutch (see Utube- The Fishing Hobby TFH) and a shaft coupler from EBAY and some creative wood work for rod rests together with a couple of small screw in garden tool hangers to use as rod bearers, being plastic lined they work well . I always leave it running overnight - no issues yet.

For wrapping I have built a small wooden rod jig and a tensioned thread carrier (see TFH and use your imagination).

I have found that the Sensei dries dark so I now use a waterbased acrylic resin from Pro-Rod first to seal the wrap followed by two coats of Sensei.

I also bought a stainless steel finger nail maintenance kit for about a fiver from Amazon which has all the tools you need for packing, thread cutting and burnishing wraps.

I like the results but I am not a perfectionist so I have had to sand out a few bubbles etc but I am happy and proud of my efforts. If you need any other advice/guidance give me a shout.