Taking a dook

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to know.....your feet upstream or downstream?

Mine were downstream and the boots were pulling me along as they were inflated with water. I did remain on my back the whole trip as I remember.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I've always wanted to know.....your feet upstream or downstream?

Always downstream because if there are any rocks you don’t want to be bashing your head and it’s easier to steer yourself with your arms at the back (think of a rudder). Also as mentioned, it’s easier to see where you are going.

Last edited:

Tangled

Reaction score
Saw a chap confidently wade into the river after lunch with his zip undone. Quite a shock apparently - I don't intend to confirm it.

Fergie

Reaction score
Never (touch wood) had a really close or bad one but had a very recent embarrassing one on the Castle Pool at Doune. For those of you who don’t know it the top of the pool Blair Drummond side is an easy wade compared to the nightmare that is the north bank. Pool to myself half eight Saturday morning. .8 on the gauge. Cast out into fast stream opposite wading just up to calves. Fly swings into slacker water and snags..quick tug given which results in copper tube pinging straight back at me. A duck, swivel pirouette style slip and am on my back at the top of the pool. Quickly got out with only outer jacket and pride damaged and the old boy walking his dog opposite pissing himself laughing (don’t blame him) 🙄

johnwest

Reaction score
Never (touch wood) had a really close or bad one but had a very recent embarrassing one on the Castle Pool at Doune. For those of you who don’t know it the top of the pool Blair Drummond side is an easy wade compared to the nightmare that is the north bank. Pool to myself half eight Saturday morning. .8 on the gauge. Cast out into fast stream opposite wading just up to calves. Fly swings into slacker water and snags..quick tug given which results in copper tube pinging straight back at me. A duck, swivel pirouette style slip and am on my back at the top of the pool. Quickly got out with only outer jacket and pride damaged and the old boy walking his dog opposite pissing himself laughing (don’t blame him) 🙄
Got my foot stuck between the rocks one day thought fire and rescue for about a minute, it's a nightmare and just when you know the path to take the winter floods and trees shift it need to wear shin pads under the waders 😊

Ps used to think your not a proper fisher unless you go for a swim 🏊

keirstream

Reaction score
That wade from the croy down past the stairs and the big tree is one of the most interesting in Scotland. You think you know it and a momentary lapse in concentration sees you swimming. Yet, for all that, Davy Rutherford could waltz down it with the heavy revvy whanging around good style.:D
The most recent dip I have had recently was fishing a pool on the Earn that I hadn't fished for several years and stepping confidently off the bank into what I remembered to be 6 inches of water and simply kept going into 2 feet of newly scoured pool.
That in itself doesn't sound bad but because you don't know when your foot is going to stop you kind of brace for the worst.
The momentum entering the water started me off on an unstoppable run which ended up in over 6 feet of water and me taking an involuntary mouthful of Earn water before swimming downstream to catch my bunnet. The rod had already been thrown backwards in the process.
B.T.W. a point to ponder.
Why does river water look crystal clear from above but manky and murky from below???
Answers on the back of a life jacket please.:D

phatagrova

Reaction score
I carry a full grip bag of clothes when i go fishing for the above reasons , you'd think i was heading off for the weekend, having had numerous experiences of getting wet, I carry various layers of clothing from head to toe including a towel ,, If you are unfortunate to get wet its only a matter of getting replacement clothing on and off you go again , your day is not cut short or ruined , and you have dry clothes to change into.
If you have an old pair of waders carry them as well for spare , while the others dry out. , Strange thing is I have a life jacket that lies in the back of the car , that was bought after a bad scare yrs ago , but since I have started carrying a net again on my back I haven't been wearing it.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
... but since I have started carrying a net again on my back I haven't been wearing it.
Thats exactly my issue. It seems to be an either or situation and with so much C&R I don't want to be dragging fish up onto the bank for unhooking. Does anyone have a clever solution carrying a net while wearing a life jacket?

Bennachie

Reaction score
I too nearly took a dook at the exact same bit. It's because you can wade downstream to the island but trying to wade back up stream isn't easy in decent water.
Had a bit of an escapade with my young lad doing that a couple season back. We were hanging on to the overhead branches for life.
I avoid that wade now. Even in low water I fear a ducking.