take it lying down my fawlty

wormo

Reaction score
so thats basil banned from the TV for racist slurs, along with a list of recent others , gone with the wind , league of gentlemen, yhe mighty boosh and little Britain to name a few what the actual fek has happened to this country its pathetic , not be long till posting a pic of a black fly on here will be deemed racist 😡

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Personally I kinda get it in the same way as Alf Garnett no longer graces our screens. However, in other ways I think the black lives matter crusade has been taken over and expanded way beyond its intention and that its gone way to far. If things carry on in the current direction then everyone of every colour is massively in the wrong because no one is perfect. In that case we should pillory all Spanish people because of the inquisition and we could set the example by kicking out the queen and all of her family because of the crusades. The biblical saying of 'let those without sin throw the first stone' seems quite accurate for this situation! It also seems to have been forgotten, certainly in America, that more black people are killed by black people than any other racial group...but that doesn't mean that racial intolerance should be accepted by any group or what about the Indian class structure?

However, we can learn from history and the voice of BLM supporters should be heard and should drive change, but not at the expense of that history for such things should not be forgotten any more than the world wars and holocaust.

Last edited:

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
Don't let a little thing like facts get in the way of whipped up hysteria. Fawlty Towers has not been removed from television. One single episode of Fawlty Towers has been removed because the character known as 'the major' makes some racist comments about the West Indies cricket team where he repeatedly called them N*****S He also called Indians w***

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Thank goodness I already have Fawlty Towers and League of Gentlemen on DVD.

I reckon prices on e-bay could be about to rocket ....

doubletaper

Reaction score
I thought it was a joke when first told about it! Must agree with some folk about other agendas being raised through the back door in all this madness...What next is going to banned? Hope it's not Guinness as I do like a cold one of them now 'N' again & I'm partial to a dark pudding now and again even though I have to watch my cholesterol....:giggle:

Chicharito

Reaction score
Just ordered the full 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers on Ebay before the Political Police ban all sales!
I hate political correctness! I used to have sizeist jokes all my working life and I didn't mind at all. It was just banter and I soon learnt to give as good as I got!

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I read it was about the germans episode also
The Major's N and W - and Basil being horrified at a black doctor operating on Sybil - are all in that episode, the Germans one.

I don't understand why it's been pulled though, as most people haven't seen the Major scene (hence not many people remembering it) - it was edited out under John Cleese's instruction some time ago.

I think it needs to be noted that this isn't the action of any BLM activist, or the result of any leftie politically correct censorship agenda. No one on social media or anywhere else ever called for it, and the most hardcore BLM advocates I follow are in despair. Someone well meaning but insane at the BBC did this, and it's just a massive distraction. It has rightly caused confusion and anger and completely distracts from what needs to be done. Which maybe is why it's happening. Some kind of conspiracy to encourage right minded people to reject the whole BLM movement based on stuff like this.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Thanks for that link, didn't know that and found it rather interesting.
Cant claim the credit, Mrs SC flagged it to me.
Just shows how there could be no end to this.

Ideed it was interesting. It says he found religion and repented, BUT carried on in the slave trade for another 3 years. :unsure:
Also, that he was pressganged, so to all intents, a slave himself.
Ironic.

How many turns of phrase will also need to go.
Getting to the nitty gritty.
Not getting to the detail, more whats left.
Slaves were graded. The best on the higher decks, the worse at the bottom of the ship. With gaps in the planks of the decks above and no opportunity to get above decks and cleaned off, covered in grit and full of nits.
After the best slaves were sold, they got to the nitty gritty.
How many people use that in their business meetings without realising where it came from.
Food for thought!

westie4566

Reaction score
It’s a dangerous game , piss enough people off and the far right get into power, history tells us that!
And there is, very sadly, the rub.

In this country I think that only a small percentage of the protesters are in it for the real cause, the rest are in for it the mischief they can make. That said, I may be wrong.

From personal experience, in my own neighbourhood (with a lot of Nigerian businesses and a high footfall of their countrymen) it's certainly not the locals who are the problem. The locals have been very friendly and welcoming but it's been shoved back in our faces. They just don't want to integrate and also break any/every law in the full knowledge that the local Council/Police are powerless to do anything as the minute they do the 'race card' get's pulled.

Here's a personal example. A Nigerian family opened a restaurant round the corner from me a couple of years back. I can see the rear of the premises from my garden. They had a huge flood from it whilst opening up and yours truly went round and sorted the problem for them late on a Sunday night - it was a borked stopcock. I was the best thing since sliced bread. Move on a year and they were dumping food waste out the back of their premises. I stuck my head in past, said 'Hi' told them of the rat problem they were causing and politely asked them to stop doing it. Cue horrendous abuse form the females, I was a racist trying to put them down and then I was then threatened with a meat cleaver by one of their husbands.I'm pretty sure that story is NOT an isolated one.

Compare and contrast with our Polish community here. They're the first to volunteer to help. If your under the bonnet of the car, they ask what the problem is and can they or their friends help. I was very touched a few weeks back when the young Polish couple next door asked me if I was coping Ok with not being able to work and not earning money. They were lovely and said 'if your struggling and need help, just knock on our door'. This whole thing isn't about race, it's about humanity and the lack of it by a tiny minority on all sides, blown out of all proportion by a few.

Sigh...no doubt I'm racist just by posting this despite my ex being African by birth.

Pollowick

Reaction score
Apparently the BBC have relented. Cleese has had a go at them and all episodes are now back!

As for Alf Garnett and 'Til Death Us Do Part veryone thinks it is a racist show, whereas in reality is was pointing fun at Alf and teh way some people in te East end thought or behaved.